Nourishment for the Spirit

by Maximus 81 Replies latest jw friends

• Mrs Ozzie
    Mrs Ozzie

I'm here at last! I'm the wife of ozziepost. That ozzie of mine spends too much time at your place. He always tells me what's happening and shows me interesting threads. Sometimes I give him some ideas!

Maximus, this is a very good topic to talk about but I was surprised that Ozzie didn't tell you about the book that meant a lot to me on our road to freedom.

It is a wonderful book called What's So Amazing about Grace by Phillip Yancey (Harper Collins Zondervan)

It is written in an easy to read style and is full of great stories teaching the meaning of grace (or as we know it, "undeserved kindness"). It is such a healing to read it as it shows how hurting people (or people who have been made to feel they are wicked) are more likely to see Jesus as a refuge. The down and outs who flocked to Jesus when he was on earth felt Jesus's compassion. The prostitute was forgiven even though her sins were many "because she loved much, but he who is forgiven little, loves little." It looks at grace, we speak about it, but do we really understand it, do we really believe in it.. and do we show it in our own lives?

It has great quotes, such as,
    He who cannot forgive another, breaks the bridge over which he must pass himself.- George Herbert

Man is born broken. He lives by mending. The grace of God is glue. Eugene O'Neill.

This book was the beginning of my mending, it helped me to see things in a completely different way from the Borg. To see that there is a loving way to cope with our trials. God's grace is so needed by us all. We are all going to make mistakes as we are all imperfect, but the way we handle these situations can destroy us or those we love.

There's a great chapter entitled "Grace Avoidance" that discusses legalism. He writes: "Jesus proclaimed unmistakably that God's law is so perfect and absolute that no one can achieve righteousness. Yet God's grace is so great that we do not have to. By striving to prove how much they deserve God's love, legalists miss the whole point of the gospel, that it is a gift from God to people who don't deserve it. The solution to sin is not to impose an ever-stricter code of behavior. It is to know God."

I really recommend this book to everyone. I am sure many sisters would really find it encouraging and helpful. Much of what is wrong about the Borg is the lack of grace. The failure to understand, receive and live out God's unconditional grace and forgiveness. Also the failure to give out unconditional grace, forgiveness and unconditional love to brothers and sisters who have made mistakes. The books and magazines say they do, but in practice they don't. The good news of the gospel of grace has not penetrated the elders' emotions.

I think that's enough from me now and I hope you will get as much out of this book as I did when I read it two years or so ago.

Bye,

Mrs Ozzie

There is nothing we can do to make God love us more.
    There is nothing we can do to make God love us less.

• Prisca
    Prisca

{{{{{{{{{{{{Mrs Ozzie}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Hi - it's so great that you finally decided to join us!!!

• Prisca
    Prisca

P.S.
    I was so excited to see you here I forgot to comment on your post Mrs Ozzie lol....

I have seen that book advertised by the Koorong bookshop. I will buy it next time I'm in there.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Goodonya Prisca,

She's having a bubble bath, but she says great. When will we see ya again? Coming over?

Cheers,
    Ozzie

• Eusebius Hieronymus
    Eusebius Hieronymus

Waiting, I got the poem from Maximus, who said it is by "Brini."

My way of support to everyone here, especially hurting newcomers, and to him while he is going through a rough patch just now.

Want to get the titles right, but don't have access to them just now. Thanks for your kindness when I first got on the board, waiting. An oasis in the jungle, survival of the fittest and all that.

Mrs. Ozzie, your post was positively profound. The pericope from John is one of my favorite passages of the Bible. Yancey is great, would that I could read all of his many books. A reminder I need to go back and read him with new eyes.

I know this is the reason for the thread, to expose many to what really fine, uplifting thoughts are available in great abundance--on a wide variety of subjects, including science, which is not mutually exclusive to faith.

I am greatly impressed not just by the first-rate heads here, but the equally capacious hearts.

Jerry

• waiting
    waiting

Howdy y'all,

I love old photographs - the people clothes, expressions, background of pictures - all tell part of the story, particularily if the subjects are unrehearsed.

In view of that, I bought a huge, thick, wonderful book for $9.99 at Waldenbooks last week.

150 Years of Photo Journalism" compiled by the Hulton Getty Picture Collection.

Pictures from all over the world. Political dynasties, wars, poverty, wealth, sports, common workers, cars, airplanes, ships, lovers, babies, victims. Most everything except nature - which doesn't change that much in such a short time. The commentaries are wonderful - setting up the history for the pictures.

Just a quick quote found on page 240 under "Peoples."

"...the Europeans brought with them a mixture of blessings and curses. They abolished slavery in Africa, but plundered most of the continent for its raw materials and cheap labour. They abolished Thuggees in India, where for hundreds of years travellers had feared this secret society of stranglers - but denied the citizens of India any say in their own government. They helped put an end to the time-honoured system of binding a young girl's feet in China, but greatly increased the trade in and consumption of opium, so that millions became addicts.

In some cases the blessings are hard to discern. Australian aborigines had lived contentedly for thousands of years, before settlers and farmers brought fever, greed and an inexhaustible supply of cheap alcohol. For centuries, the Plains Indians of North America had prospered as nomadic hunters over millions of square miles. They were proud people who respected the earth and even the buffalo that they killed for food, clothing, tools, and shelter. ....

The inhabitants of Tasmania were rounded up en masse and shipped off to tiny Flinders Island by British government agents. 'When they saw from shipboard the splendid country which they were promised,' wrote an eyewitness of this appalling genocide, 'they betrayed the greatest agitation, gazing with strained eyes at the sterile shore, uttering melacholy moans, and with arms hanging beside them, trembling with convulsive feelings....Not one survived.'

Among the most inflexible Christian interlopers were the Afrikaaners of South Africa. Theirs was a harsh, unforgiving God, who they believed approved of their treatment of Hottentot and Bushman, whom they almost completely exterminated."

It puts into perspective our history and part in the human family. It also helps get rid of the feeling that the WTBTS drills into their followers - that the world is worst now than any other time in history. Just ain't so - and the pictures are a proud - and tragic - documentation that most of us have it pretty good.

Well worth the $10.

Hey Jerry

Glad you're hanging around! There's so much to learn - especially from the likes of that ol' Max. Not just learn, but to speculate - which we were taught to be very leary of doing while in strick jw land. Speculate about history, evolution, the reasons for wars, for love, for intelligence.

Such fun!

waiting

• Mulan
    Mulan

I posted about the Dancing Wu Li Masters. I was thinking of another book, about Lao Tzu. The Dancing Wu Li Masters was weird. Can't say I agree with it AT ALL!!!

Marilyn (a.k.a. Mulan)

• Introspection
    Introspection

Marilyn, I'm trying to find the message you are replying to but can't seem to figure it out. What did you wanted to know, or were you asking a question? (I'm guessing about the Tao Te Ching?)

"It is not so much that you use your mind wrongly--you usually don't use it at all. It uses you. This is the disease." -Eckhart Tolle, The Power of Now

• Esmeralda
    Esmeralda

The Seat of the Soul: Gary Zukov
    Life Strategies: Philip C. McGraw, Phd
    and mostly, "The Four Agreements" By Don Miguel Ruiz. It changed forever the way I view myself and everyone else.

~Es

The Four Agreements:
    Be Impeccable With Your Word
    Don't Take Anything Personally
    Don't Make Assumptions
    Always Do Your Best

• Mulan
    Mulan

Introspection: This page is where my post was. I was just thinking of the wrong book. http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?site=3&id=7913&page=3

The Dancing Wu Li Masters, by Gary Zukav, is about channeling. It was weird. I don't discount that at all, but his account was not believable to me.

Thanks.

Marilyn (a.k.a. Mulan)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit