I don't want to live forever on the earth

by Jez 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Jez
    Jez

I have come to the conclusion that I do not want to live forever. Tomorrow would never come, I would not do it because I could do it tomorrow, or tomorrow or tomorrow. Time would cease to exist as there would be no need to keep track of things. Children 'growing up' would lose it's special charm and intrigue, in fact all youthfulness and the beauty of it, the beauty of middle age and it's rewards, the older years and it's woes and blessings. Rites of passages would be meaningless. I think that we need bad to have good. Comparing is what gives us either. Without bad, how can we know what is good? Without injustice, how can we know justice? The universe is a plethora of opposites. Can't have one without the other.

Living forever would take the joy out of LIVING for me. If I live on, I live on...if I just die, I just die. THERE is nothing I can do NOW to change that. What happens, happens. SO LIVE, ENJOY, DO IT.

What do you all think? Don't you think living forever is kinda freaky?

• kls
    kls

Great post Jez and i feel the same as you. I would rather have a conclusion then there being no end.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I'd love to live forever! Technology continually advances, but I won't be around to see how much it continues to advance.

As for being in a Paradise Erf with JWs, forget it. Can perfect people commit suicide?

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Amen.

"Eternity is really long, especially near the end." (You know who.)

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

I'd love to live forever. Definitely would love it; would even love it as the JWs teach it. However, I don't think it's possible at all. Just too good to be true.

DY

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Logically and egoically I would say If you want to live forever on earth you will increase your pain by trying to hold on to something that is impossible to hang on to.

The same can be said about youth,, if you want to stay young forever,,you will increase your pain of growing older. I think there is happiness in learning to go with the flow of "time" and recognize in "time" everything changes,,if you don't want change you bring pain. Nothing is permanant in "time".

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

don't be afraid: you will not.

You are'nt even able to stay as long as you wish...

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

I'm sure I would sooner or later get tired of sitting under my vine or fig tree. And the JWs also say there would be no more sex once the earth was filled. So what else would there be to do for eternity? Study insects? Or maybe there would be EVEN MORE meetings and assemblies in a "perfect" world.

Just thinking about it makes me gag.

Walter

• crownboy
    crownboy

Even as a witness I found the idea of living forever on earth to be unattractive. Obviously, after some time you would exhaust all possible things you could do on earth. Then what? Do them all again? And again? And again?

I always assumed that after being on the earth for some time, god would allow us to explore/ populate other planets or something. I don't want to spend all my time petting formerly wild animals while having a picnic with my racially and culturally diverse friends in a setting akin to a 1950's middle class American ideal .

If I were to live forever I would have to be constantly exploring new places and discovering new things. The 70-80 years most of us get on earth now it certainly not ideal for its brevity, but an infinite amount of time in a finite place isn't ideal eith, IMO.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I can see where eternity could be a real drag especially with a brain like ours that gets all rapped up in things and then get bored with those samethings,,it's like,, Why is living forever so important?? We often wish for things that we think will make us happy but in the end when what we wished for comes to pass,, we find out it wasn't what we thought it would be,,then we get bored and look for something else to occupy our attention.

What is the meaning of this person life we live? that's a question that we all ask but have no answer for,, oh there are some that think they have the answer,,but those types are forming opinions that have no basis in reality.

That's why people keep searching for what the meaning of life is,,because they have not found one yet. Maybe the life that we live has no great meaning and any great meaning we attach to it is an illusion,, of the egoic thought logic,,which is based on the me first,,and my survival and what's good for me conditioning our species has undergone from billions of years of evolution.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit