Catholic Answers comment on the REASONING book

by Dogpatch 45 Replies latest jw friends

• Hondo
    Hondo

Heathen, cool your jets, I think you got something right.

The Catholic church does not teach the Mary did have sex, nor does it teach that she did not have sex, after Christ was born. She was a virgin before our Lord Jesus was born however, and she is blessed among women, as the bible states. You sound like you know your bible, please check out Matt 1:26 (I think). This is what the Catholic church teaches; she may have had sex, may not have, but the bible certainly alludes to the fact that she could have. A recent archialogical (an ossuary in Israel I think) find indicates that she may have had sex, and that Jesus had at least one brother named James. The inscription on the discovered ossuary reads something like, "James, brother of Jesus", or something along these lines. The only problem with this find is determining wether the Jesus inscribed is the Christ Jesue. Jesus, the name, as I understand it, was not an uncommon name 2000 years ago.

Have a good day.

Hondo

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Hondo,

The James ossuary proves nothing. It is a fake.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2003-11-25-ossuary-usat_x.htm

• Hondo
    Hondo

Kenneson

I tend to agree with you, in this case. I had read another report, other than the one in the URL you provided, that held the ossuary find I mention very suspect. The point I was trying to make is that Mary probably did have other children after the birth of Jesus. The is a hard to determine fact however, and the ossuary, until found to most probably be not the real thing, was thought of to perhaps be the link connecting Mary with the idea of her being the mother of not only Jesus.

Thanks, and have a good day.

Hondo.

• heathen
    heathen

Nice job Kenneson . That was what I was looking for . Jesus always directed attention to himself as far as salvation was concerned not to mary or anyone except his father maybe . But without jesus there could be no salvation at all for anyone, ever .

I am familiar with the osurary of james the just . The belief that james was jesus brother is something that comes from the scriptures .

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Heathen,

I certainly agree with you that salvation does not come from Mary, but from Jesus. At the wedding feast of Cana, she told the servers, "Do whatever he tells you." (John 2:5) That's Mary's message handed down to us today.

As to the brothers of the Lord, the Catholic position can be read at the following link:

http://catholic.com/library/Brethren_of_the_Lord.asp

• heathen
    heathen

There are scripture such as Mathew 12:46-50 that clearly show that jesus in fact had brothers . The pharisees did accuse jesus of lying about being the son of God on the basis that he had family from the same mother and father , they did not have the story of mary and the virgin birth as written in the new testament . I don't remember who exactly were his brothers but do remember a part that they did not believe jesus either .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit