In your own opinion, what makes someone smart?

by doodle-v 43 Replies latest jw friends

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    Dammit Doc, if you turn this into another aspartame thread, I'm outta here.

Princess, I thought I could get that past you, but you're too intelligent! lol

• kls
    kls

I must catch on fast cause i am # 21.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    This is EXACTLY how I feel!

That's cause you're smart. ;-)

• kls
    kls

Damn it Drw . What you doing . Now take your post back. ;(

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    my sister was in Menza for having such a high IQ and yet in so many was she was very unknowledgeable.

Knowledge and intelligence (IQ) aren't the same thing. A higher IQ will help you grow in knowledge, but you can be intelligent without having a lot of facts crammed in your head.

BTW, it's "Mensa" not "Menza".. :-P

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    Damn it Drw . What you doing . Now take your post back.

Were you trying to get the 21st post or something?

• kls
    kls

Ya i was you but now never mind. If i want to call it Mensa i will ,,,,,,,LOL

• cyrus
    cyrus

First of all may i digress for a moment Stinkypants AND jwbot are photos on your posts your true likenesses if so may i just say for the record WOW what a pair of babes .Sorry now to the case in point i have met many people over the years who are supposedly smart or intelligent and yes they have been excellent students and have recieved decrees and so on in thier chosen fields but as for me my mother taught me to read and write from the age of three (not that you would know it to look at my spelling and punctuation )when i started primary school aged five i was reading books like robinson crusoe sorry that is the only one i could remember off hand .However the teachers just wanted us to play and after about 2 years of mind numbing boredness i lost interest in school and this continued untill i left school ok ok i did pass my exams mostly grade As all without doing any revistion or study.I still learned mored from my fascination with ancient and biblical history than i ever did at school i have also got a varied working life (everything from washing up dishes to managing a five star hotel and property management .I am also very street wise and can think on my feet i have a good record of problem solving even when surrounded with supposed intellectuals .In my humble opinion being smart is usaully about attitude rather than aptitude how you deal with setbacks and whether you face problems rather than run away from them, also how you interact with fellow humans only a fool antagonises those around them only a complete idiot abuses and defrauds his fellow humans for monetary profit or material gain because sooner or later they get caught and pay the cost through lost friends business partners or once cherished relationships I try to show respect to everyone i meet to be honest as best i can in everthing this i think is being smart .

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

I have known people with many academic degrees and high paying jobs and people who are constitutionally incapable of holding a job because of their lack of mental intellegence.

Some of the degreed people did not have an iota of common sense and I wondered how they got so far in life! Then I realized that they had enough money to pay for everything they needed even if that paying meant that they had to hire someone to reset their GFI switch. (the electrical button on some outlets like in the kitchen or bathroom)

Then the incapable people I've known always had enough to eat and their basic needs met from the meager wages they got from menial jobs or assistance. They (for the most part) were the most happy people!

Intelligence is the ablility to survive to the extent that you are happy with what you got! (to the vernacular prude........"have")

HappyDad

• Mulan
    Mulan

I've been told I am smart.............all of my children are very smart, highly intelligent even, with high IQ's. One of my grandsons has a genius IQ, and he constantly amazes me with his intelligence and common sense, and he is only 8. Of course there are times when he is so obviously a child, but he knows how smart he is too.

My husband is brilliant. Enough said. That says it all.

I've known people with genius IQ's who can't make a living, and who are so messed up emotionally, they barely survive their lives, so IQ isn't the qualifyer.

I've made some really dumb mistakes, but perhaps recognizing that and correcting them to the best of my ability makes me smart.

Just a few thoughts off the top of my head.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit