Proof that 'art critics' are dumb

by Simon 46 Replies latest social current

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

I like the paintings.. but this statement makes me wonder:

Marla's father acts as her assistant

I wonder just how much assisting he does..

• seven006
    seven006

The abstract expressionism craze that opened the door for the untalented truck driver and uneducated gallery owner to sell racks of the Emperor's new clothes as art, has resulted in chimpanzees, elephants and four year old preschoolers to be considered artist. Once a monkey can learn to bang on a keyboard and some idiot raves about the monkey being a music prodigy, maybe some people will begin to wake up.

It is art critics who began writing about art in a local underground newspaper two weeks after they were fired from their job selling dog food in Atlanta that have helped open the door for the new crop of finger painters. They get the uneducated wife of a rich oil barren convinced that a piece of shit is really the work of a master mind and the joke begins. She has her friends come to the opening of an art gallery that is exhibiting the shit and because her friends are as stupid as she is, they rave about the brush strokes and use of every color in the box of crayons being used as inspiring and brilliant. The show is sold out and the next day the same group gathers to buy the Brooklyn Bridge. Meanwhile the four year old and the chimp spill their bananas and chocolate milk shake on a canvas and the next wave of rich morons are standing in line discussing the brilliant way the yellow blends in with the brown color and how incredible it is that the painting not only shows off the use of yellows and browns but it also smells really really good.

I vote we put grand pianos and violins into zoo cages, teach the animals to pound on the keys and pluck a few strings and then replace the Boston philharmonic.

Dave

HS, no disrespect intended but, have a monkey and a four year old be considered brilliant in your profession and see if you think the use of colors is still outstanding.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Man, I could shit on a canvas a couple of times, smear it around, put a clear glaze on it, and sell it for big bucks!

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Nos-

There's a lady that uses her menstrual blood for her paintings .. so poopie could potentially be a big seller as well.. or any other bodily fluids/solids..

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Oh man, why did I look at that website? Painting pictures of sperm cells with period blood isn't cool. Those pictures must smell funny.

She needs a slogan, "The canvas is my tampon"

• Realist
    Realist

simon,

one correction....these people are not dumb but brilliant. they make millions with selling trash. who else has acheived that?

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Simon is right......I would not line my cat box with this "art".......

News flash! Simon, Realist and Thichi hold same viewpoint!!!!

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Realist,

99% of modern art is a joke.

A statement that should be ignored by 99% of all people.

Dave,

HS, no disrespect intended but, have a monkey and a four year old be considered brilliant in your profession and see if you think the use of colors is still outstanding.

I ran an art gallery for twenty-two years. Believe me, I have seen artists from the fraud to the genius, and all the stages between. The paintings purported to have been painted by this child are the ones I commented on. Imho they were *not* painted by a four year old, but somebody who knows a lot about abstract art and the use of color.

I would agree that there is a lot, and I mean a *lot* of trash out there Dave, but the difference between many abstract painters of old, like Pollock for example, is that they worked their way through traditional genres to arrive at their style, whereas the art schools these days do not teach their students the fundamentals about art. Look at Picasso's early paintings for example, he could paint in any style he chose. Many abstract artists just cannot draw, or even mix colors very well.

Some schools of art which do produce outstanding abstract artists, like the Slade for example, actually make sure that their students can draw "before* they allow them on the streets with paint. It also has to be remembered that there was a lot of trashy art around before the abstract style was in vogue, there always has been. My own preference is for very traditional 'Victorian' style in art, but I do own some abstract art by a couple of well known artists which some people tell me that their four year old could have painted better.

I'd love to see the day!

Best regards - HS

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Realist,

one correction....these people are not dumb but brilliant. they make millions with selling trash. who else has acheived that?

Hollywood.

HS

• kls
    kls

The child and parents were on GMA this morning and showing the art work and saying folks all over the world are buying them. Is it really the child i have no idea? The odd thing is the father claims to be an artist but never mentioned that his own are work sold.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit