Proof that 'art critics' are dumb

by Simon 46 Replies latest social current

• Simon
    Simon

This time it's the messy daubings of a 4 year old being touted as 'art' and sold for big bucks

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/3701484.stm

It always makes me laugh when they set them up and finally reveal that the mysterious new modern artists they have raved over is really a chimpanzee let loose with tubes of paint.

For me an artist is someone who makes art. I don't consider myself an artist so if I can make what they can, then they can't be either.

Some abstract art is good and I like it but this "splodges of paint" and unmade beds crap is just ... well, crap !

• Celia
    Celia

I must say I like these paintings.... nothing childish about them...

alt

• SpannerintheWorks
    SpannerintheWorks

There is no way that this 4 year old has "painted" these pictures.

Spanner

• myauntfanny
    myauntfanny

Come on, they're super. That second one reminds me of Gillian Ayres. They're great. I'd be deliriously happy if I could do that. (But then I really liked that painting by the chimpanzee a few years ago).

• roybatty
    roybatty

Place five paintings in a row. Have one be a Pollock and the four others just crap that someone throws together. I'll bet $100.00 that most art critics will not be able to guess which is which.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Simon,

I cannot see that this child could have painted these pictures, The balance of color and choice of pallette is actually outstanding, especially with the Pollock look alike.

Can four year children be taxed by the IRS? Seems like a bit of a scam to me.

Best regards - HS

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

roybatty,

I'll bet $100.00 that most art critics will not be able to guess which is which.

lol....If you know an art critic who is willing to stake his reputation on a $100 bet let me know. Now make the prize $100,000 and I am sure that you will get a few tempted, including myself.

Best regards - HS

PS - A lot of people are clueless as to the size of paintings that Pollock actually did. That he was able to render his paintings with such intensity and discipline dealing with such huge canvases, as any artist will tell you, is a feat in itself :

• jwbot
    jwbot

I think those paintings she did are really great. Its not just scribbles...the color is really well chosen. I do not think just "anyone" can create art...even like that.

I DO consider myself an artist.

• Realist
    Realist

99% of modern art is a joke.

some pictures have nice color combinations or intersting combination of shapes....but PLEASE... 99% of the stuff can be done by an ape.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan
    The prodigy has already sold about 25 paintings, raising $40,000 (£22,000) and a new exhibition opens on Friday.

By this standard, I had some stuff on my fridge that must have been worth a few bucks. And, if only I could figure out how to frame my garage floor....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit