What is LDS ?

by Tyre 26 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Farkel
    Farkel

There are several LDS beliefs that are beyond bizarre. They spend a LOT of time getting baptized and baptized over again. Why? They are getting baptized for DEAD people, as if dead people don't stand a chance unless alive people get baptized for them. They take this crap seriously. I hurl when I think how absurd it all is.

They have another MAJOR doctrine which basically states "as man is, God once was. As God is, man may become." This doctrine teaches that God somehow "worked" his way up to being "God" of this planet. If human Mormons work hard enough they too will become God's of their own planets. Each and every one of them. Of course, this lofty carrot of absolute bullshit flies in the face of the Bible's Eden story which condemns puny humans from aspiring to be Gods. Yet don't forget, the Mormons are a CULT, too.

Farkel

• bebu
    bebu

Steve,

Thinking a little too quickly, I considered Christian Science, JWs, Moonies, The (now-defunct) Way International, and (also defunct) Baghwam Shree-Rajneesh. None of these (to my knowledge) have had a university or football team, so it looked like the comment might possibly work... except for BYU, and (thinking more now) the Armstrong Church of God (well, they had a campus, I can't remember if it was a university/had a sports program)... there have got to be others. But anyway, yes, a cute comment.

bebu

• Steve Egner
    Steve Egner

bebu,

I wish I could remember the book where I picked that line up. The comment:

What is the difference between a cult and a mainstream Christian religion?

The cult doesn't have a university or a football team.

was made in the context of a discussion of boutique religions (cults) and their tendency to either mainstream or stagnate and die. His point with the comment was that all current "mainstream" religions were at some point in history perceived as cults.

Steve

• SusanHere
    SusanHere

Hi, Tyre,

As the only active, now and forever LDS poster on this thread, let me give you a few links that will give you the correct information regarding who we are and what we believe. To put it kindly, not all who have posted prior to this have given you accurate information.

Basically, LDS are people who are family oriented, education oriented, very mainstream Americans, very patriotic, independent thinkers (if they are following the teachings which require it), good neighbors, great parents, true friends to LDS and non-LDS alike, compassionate, Christ-centered and totally sincere. Those are the ones who are making an effort to live the teachings and the lifestyle. I make no apology or excuse for the ones who don't fit that profile, as they have their own choices to make in life.

So, here are a few links you might find helpful, one of which was already posted but it never hurts to post it again, in case you missed it the first time:

Official LDS Site

Official LDS Info Site

Latter-day Saints: FAQ

If you need more, contact me directly. I don't always give the answers people want to hear, but I always tell the plain truth.

Susan

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Tyre,

You will also be interested in reading about this blot on the Latter Day Saints' "escutheon." It's called the Mountain Meadows Massacre. Go to this link:

http://www.greaterthings.com/Topical/Mountain_Meadows_Massacre

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    There are several LDS beliefs that are beyond bizarre.

hmmm, don't you think "bizarre" is a little strong. When you think about it, how "bizarre" is the belief held by the three major religions (Jew, Christian, Islam) that a snake not only talked to a woman, but tempted her.....

I guess it's all in eye (or mind) of the beholder.

• Dawn
    Dawn

Hi Susan:

I agree with your statement:

Basically, LDS are people who are family oriented, education oriented, very mainstream Americans, very patriotic, independent thinkers (if they are following the teachings which require it), good neighbors, great parents, true friends to LDS and non-LDS alike, compassionate, Christ-centered and totally sincere

I have a few LDS friends and they are very sincere. The problem with LDS, as I see it, is the same problem with the JW's. Both religions believe that only a selected few (or one) receives insight and revelations from God - so they are in control of the majority. Jesus clearly stated that it was HE who was the mediator between God and Man. He alone. Both LDS and JW's put their organization in that path between God and man. A person can not correctly interpret the bible (or other scriptures) without the help of the organization. This is a doctrine that is not founded in scripture - and it leads to worship of the organization rather than worship of the Lord.

On the flip side. I do not believe that a person can not have a personal relationship with God just because he/she is LDS or JW. If a person is sincere and searches for God - he/she will find him regardless of where they choose to worship. On that issue I differ with most of mainstream christianity in that I view both JW's and LDS individuals as brothers and sisters. Not the organizations - but the people.

I studied LDS for a short time, got the book of mormon and read part of it because I was curious. But I couldn't get past the idea that I could not research the foundations upon which the claims that this book was inspired were made. For example, there is in existence scrolls of the book of Daniel and Isaiah that date well before Christ's birth which prophesy about him (how he would be born, where, when, how he would die, etc). So on this I can at least say I believe in Jesus and I accept these two books of the bible as inspired. However, there is no physical evidence in existence today to prove that the scriptures found in the book of mormon were written prior to Joseph Smith's translation of them.

After having been duped as a JW (because I was raised that way) - my general rule of thumb now is not to accept something as fact if I can not research the foundations upon which that fact is based.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit