What is LDS ?

by Tyre 26 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

I have several LDS friends who, for the most part are totally cool. I've been to their church meetings (which were "normal") and once played on one of their softball teams. I can take or leave their religion, but as a group of people, I like them.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Blondie commented: "A recent genetic study shows that the Jews and Native Americans do not have a strong genetic tie."

In relation to that there is a new book out entitled "Losing a Lost Tribe: Native Americans, DNA and the Mormon Church."

http://www.genealogy.about.com/b/a/112251.htm

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

I knew soon as I saw the question the next poster would be Blondie, with all the correct info...YEA

• Tyre
    Tyre

Thank you my friends.

• Farkel
    Farkel

: The offical name of the Mormons is "The Church of Latter Day Saints."

No it is not. The official name is "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints."

Any Church and I mean ANY Church which have the nerve to call their members "Saints" should be viewed with more suspicion than the next words that John Kerry utters.

My Dad was made a "High Priest" just after he was drafted into WWII. He went to the Mormon church a half-dozen times in his life before that.

It's all bullshit. Religion is ALL bullshit.

Farkel

• Steve Egner
    Steve Egner

LDS = Local Dive Shop?

More on topic, I'm reminded of a joke.

What is the difference between a cult and a mainstream Christian religion?

The cult doesn't have a university or a football team.

O.K., I didn't say it was a funny joke. It's just one of those things that make you go, "Hmmmmmmm...."

Steve

• bebu
    bebu

BYU is run by Mormons... and they do well in sports.

bebu

• jgnat
    jgnat

LDS is from one of my favorite lines in a Trekkie movie:

"Him? He's harmless. Back in the '60s he was part of the peace movement at Berkeley. I think he did a little too much LDS" -- Kirk
    "LDS?" -- Dr. Gillian Taylor
    "Umm-huh" -- Kirk, trying to explain Spock's weirdness as a result of LSD, and comfusing his 20th century Earth history (Star Trek IV)

Oops. I have just unmasked myself.

<---------- GEEEEEEEK

• Steve Egner
    Steve Egner
    BYU is run by Mormons... and they do well in sports.

That's who I had in mind. But it is all a matter of perspective, isn't it?

While perceived as a cult by some, many see the Mormons as pleasant neighbors, with a few odd religious quirks. Their emphasis on education and secular achievement have helped them become accepted as mainstream... their most objectionable religious beliefs have been dropped or carefully understated. Quite a success story.

If the J-Ho's ever hope to mainstream, they couldn't find a better model.

Now, think about the "joke" again:

What is the difference between a cult and a mainstream Christian religion?

The cult doesn't have a university or a football team.

And this time, think of Notre Dame/Catholicism. Interesting, huh?

Steve

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

The difference between LSD and LDS?

One is a totally unreal, spaced-out, mind-blowing experience -- the other is a narcotic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit