They came by today

by czarofmischief 32 Replies latest jw experiences

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

So my wife is standing at the door, waiting for me to finish my morning ablutions so that we can go out, and she asks me to go to the door. I met a very friendly couple who wanted to talk to me about Jehovah. I informed them that I was raised as a Jehovah's Witness and that I had been disfellowshipped for about (and I had to think about this) five years now.

And the dude was offended by my existence. He looked at me with contempt and scorn. I mentally shrugged and said to myself, "Czar, he's the one that's marching around on the day before the hurricane hits in a suit and tie. You're going out to enjoy your life." Whatever, they walked away. The lady asked me about the cistern (one of those hippy things that they put up with public funds) anyway, they wandered away.

So I came out of the door, and it was like invasion of the pod people. They were everywhere. It was a blitzkrieg.

There was this guy (elder sense tingling, dudes) and he came over. He, rather imperiously, I thought, rasied a finger to have me wait up. Which I thought was rude. I mean, he didn't know where I was going, or if I was in a hurry, or what. I mean, I wasn't, but... you know... I could have been. If I were that type of fellow. Which I am not.

He said, "I heard you are disfellowshipped... and we are looking for disfellowshipped ones that want to return..."

I cut him off. "No. Never. I appreciate your concern, but no. Never." Those were my exact words. I remember them because they felt so damn GOOD and yet UNNATURAL at the same time. It was like, "Who the hell is saying THIS to an elder? Is it really (Czar)???"

I swear, it was like a moment where suddenly this elder suddenly realized that he had NO control over me. I had ESCAPED him and his damned cult. There was so much conflict in his eyes. Maybe I was reading too much into it, but I swear I saw a look of envy. I mean, there I am, trotting off with my beautiful wife and two kids (not mine, but I love them) and going off to have a great day at one of those pizza / playplace / gokart track things and the whole future still lies in front of me...

And I was shaking when I got into the car. But in a good way.

Anyway, just another victory over the Dark Tower, from the oldest battlefield in the world - the East End of Pittsburgh.

CZAR

• Xandria
    Xandria

Good for you! I am glad you left them there gaping like a fish. They have been in control for too long, it is time they realize that there are boundaries.

X.

• Tashawaa
    Tashawaa
    this elder suddenly realized that he had NO control over me.

I doubt you were reading anything into it. It is a very real look. It sends them into confusion, and they don't know what to say to regain "control".

I've seen this look twice... in the last year before I was df'd. By this time I was mentally "out", but in for family. One time, after a long stretch of missing meetings, I was at home, doing spring cleaning. I had missed the Sunday meeting, and the CO came by to "encourage me". I came to the door, jeans & t-shirt, hair in a pony... my hallway messy with boxes and bucket & mop. He said he missed me at today's meeting, and wanted to know why I wasn't there (I didn't look sick or depressed ), so I said I was Spring Cleaning. He got the "elder look" and sternly asked me if I thought that was more important than the meeting (trying to make me feel bad or guilty - hey, isn't meeting attendance voluntary???)... anyhoo, I looked him straight in the eye, with a big smile and said "Yes. I needed to get my house cleaned".

He got that look... that "I don't have control" look. He didn't say anything... he just stood there. I asked if there was anything else, and he said "no, just wanted to make sure I was OK". I said I was fine, thanks for popping by, and closed the door. It felt great.

The other time was even more funny... happened at the Kingdom Hall infront of everyone.... but I'll save it for another time.

Awesome the way you handled this though! Feels great to be "there" - to be free in every sense of the word from that cult.

• Jez
    Jez

Wow, great story. I wish they could come visit me. I live in a small town, everyone knows everyone. I sat on the fence about reinstatement for years, but am now convinced not to.BUT they don't know that! Why don't they come around to check up on me? Why didn't they come around last year or the year before that? I have never had an elder visit me. I have even attended the memorial for the last 3 years. Not this year though. First time ever and I can't wait. I am going to celebrate that night.

• Scully
    Scully

Congrats, Czar!!

That I-have-no-idea-what-to-say-now-because-they-didn't-cover-it-at-the-Elders'-School look is sooooo funny. It's like that robot from the very early days of Sesame Street that would go around saying Machines are perfect.. are perfect.. are perfect.. are perfect.. are perfect *WHACK* Thank You!

heh heh I can't wait till they show up at my door... looking for me.

Love, Scully

• jgnat
    jgnat

You spoke the truth in love. How can they argue with that?

• shotgun
    shotgun

Good stuff Czar

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

That's great, Czar, congratulations on the spiritual milestone!

• Soledad
    Soledad

ha. I love that look. they just dont know what to say when someone finally stands up to them. during my "sitting on the fence" years, it was hard for me to ignore them when they would call and passionately plea for me to go back to the meetings. "but don't you know that The End is very very soon?" once I realized that they had no control over me whatsoever I got many of "those looks." It felt nice

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

If I were to get the chance I would play coy and ask why only JW's teach that Jerusalem was destroyed in 607bce and not 587bce. That there is overwhelming physical evidence, 10,000 plus tablets stating so.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit