crucifixation or upright stake

by cakes 45 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cakes
    cakes

Hi everyone, I'm new :) I know Jesus died on an upright stake and not a cross but I don't know where to find the info on where or when the idea of the crucifixation orginated from. Can someone help me on this please? thanks in advanced :)

• gumby
    gumby

Hi Cakes....welcome!

I know Jesus died on an upright stake and not a cross but I don't know where to find the info on where or when the idea of the crucifixation orginated from

Are you sure you KNOW this? What makes you know this for absolute sure?

There is much controvery on the subject but it seems most evidence points to the manner in which criminals were executed by the Romans...was by Crucifiction. Josephus, 1st. century historian speaks of crucifiction as the means used by the Romans, as well as many other Archeologists who have unearthed many "crosses" used in that time period.

Freeminds.org has good information on many subjects.

Gumby

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Welcome Cakes!

I guess the article Gumby was referring to is on http://www.freeminds.org/doctrine/cross.htm

I remember Leolaia made a thorough research on the subject more recently, but I'm not sure it is on this board...

• johnny cip
    johnny cip

there was a documentry on pbs a few years ago were this college professor. did tests on the stake or cross theory. he would put college students on a stake with specially made gloves and boots to hold them in place. on the experiments with the stake the sudents would pass out in 3-15 minutes. something to do with being able to breath, in that position. were as on the cross they could stay there for hours or days. just watching that on t.v. told me the romans wouldn't use a stake as the suffering would be short. anyone else saw that show? john

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

There was an excellent discussion on this very topic about 2 years ago on this forum. It can be found at

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/22795/2.ashx

• kls
    kls

Welcome Cakes. Yes Johnny Cip is right and the reason was that with the arms stretched upward it would cause the lungs to compress and not be able to expand so the person would suffocate in a matter of minutes where as if the arms stretched out to the side the lungs are free to expand and contract.

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3

Welcome! and a little hint, don't stake your faith on this one...

After considering the evidence, ask yourself why no one else besides JW accepts the stake? They are either mysteriously right or stubbornly ignorant.

• shamus
    shamus
    There is much controvery on the subject but it seems most evidence points to the manner in which criminals were executed by the Romans...was by Crucifiction

Only in Jehovah Witness land.

It isn't at all contraversial in other religions. The dubs just need this 'contraversey' to keep them 'seperate' and the 'perfect' religion. Utter nonsense. That sounds like scribes and pharisees whining over nothing to me.

• bernie45
  • gumby
    gumby
    Only in Jehovah Witness land.

And here I thought this place was where many dubs come....silly me.

Gumby

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit