Why Are You Here?

by larc 76 Replies latest jw friends

• waiting
    waiting

Howdy JW83

I read your long post (we all do that sometimes).

But I try to remind myself that many of the people here have been terribly hurt by the organization. I know hurt often is expressed as anger. So I try to understand that. And despite the verbal battles, I've learned a great deal of helpful information and have also witnessed words of compassion, respect, and concern.

Wise actions. A lot of us are in varying stages of anger, hurt, depression, freedom, quite happy. Among even the angry posts, even whole threads that way, there is a lot of honesty - and areas thrown open that we didn't realize we had such feelings. Some of us (myself included) have found that we need personal inner work done by us.

We've also learned sooooooo much about ourselves, our faith, our opinions, and the foundations of such.

Just click off a thread if you don't care for it - many more to choose from. That's the beauty of freedom.

waiting

• kes152
    kes152

Winston,

So is your message directly from Jesus?

The message I hear, comes directly from him. You are more than welcome to approach him directly and ask him yourself. All I am is a servant. I am nothing 'holy,' just a servant.

Are you giving it to us word for word or just paraphasing?

It is word for word... unless the question is asked to me directly. If asked directly to me, then I answer 'word for word.' My only HOPE is that you would ask him, and hear his answer to you, word for word, so you DON'T need me.

And do you claim as Shelby does that Jesus died not just for mankind to get save but also for plants and animals too, to get saved if they like man exersise faith and do what God tells them?

He has not given me that information, and so I am unable to answer that. All I can say is my message is directed to you, not the animals.

JAVA..

I don't exactly get your point.

May you continue in peace!
    Aaron

• troubled
    troubled

Waiting,

Thanks for the input. I also appreciate the honesty of folks who post here.

(Don't know why you referred to me as JW83 tho. That must be someone else.)

• CPiolo
    CPiolo

troubled:

My JW wife is currently going through a period of depression, anxiety and panic. This episode began several years ago during pregnancy. She finally has begun therapy. I believe her problems are caused by several factors, including her being a JW. How much that plays a role, I am by no means qualified to discern. My wife however has refused to examine the role religion plays in her problems or in the problems it causes us as a couple (I am not a JW). She recently complained to me about her therapist bringing up religion more than she felt comfortable. My wife would much rather focus on other issues. She is contemplating changing therapists, possibly to avoid that very issue, although she rationalizes the change for other reasons.

You, understandably, are going through a very difficult process and seem to have your head on straight as to how to deal with it --baby steps. You also demonstrate enormous courage to examine your belief system as you are. I agree with you that some of the things written about JWs are exagerated or outright lies. But in order to get to the truth, you must sift through everything, check sources, verify information and hear all sides of the issue. You seem to be doing this. DON'T let anyone make you feel guilty for nothing more than hearing both sides of an argument. The Bible praises the Boreans for being sure of all things and the WT organization has advised it adherents to do the same.

Best of luck with your depression and with your search for truth,

CPiolo

• waiting1
    waiting1

Hey Troubled,

Lord, I have no idea. How much time will the "old age and sorriness" excuse buy me?

Of course, like any organization, the WTBTS only publishes the good experiences, and not the bad. I need to do as much research as possible, both pro and con.

Remember some of the proofs we offered to our bible studies that the Bible was unbiased and really told the Truth? One of those is that it showed the people in events like they really happened. Where people sinned, were punished, and then forgiven (or not.) But it showed humility and honesty.

I personally don't quite believe that the Bible is *exact* anymore - but if you take the good/bad argument and apply it to the WTBTS - they fail.

Sorry I was confused, I did read your account with interest. Well thought out with good points. I hope you stick around? I remember other posts by you....hope you're doing well? Childhood can be a bummer, eh?

waiting

• Silverleaf
    Silverleaf

Why do I post here?

Because I wandered by one day and got sucked in and haven't found a 12-step program to get me out yet.

But seriously, I found this board in a roundabout way - while looking for sites on Paganism, I stumbled across one that was run by an Ex-JW. She has links to a lot of other places and I surfed around in fascination until I ended up here. Due to my personal experiences with the [b]org I was amazed that someone would go from being a JW to being a Pagan - it seemed like a 180 degree change in belief systems. Out of curiosity I began reading her material as well as the posts here and I found I could not stop. I lurked for a long time and bit my tongue as so many posts went by that I wanted to reply to but I thought at first, what have I got to share with these people? My experiences are only the tip of the iceberg of what they have gone through. I have nothing to offer -- but I read so many personal experiences and realized the people here are an amazing group.

I stay because I genuinely love to read what goes on here, and I have learned a lot about myself too. This place has helped me overcome the fear and the anger that I had - albeit long-suppressed. I also stay because, while I may not have experienced life inside the [b]org, I HAVE experienced life outside of it and a life touched and changed by it and if there's anything I can say to someone that will make them feel better about their choice to leave or help them feel any less alone when they do, then I would like to be able to do that.

Silverleaf

• bsmart
    bsmart

I come here because I have family still in, tiptoeing around subjects that I shouldn't have to.

I have been out so long that it isn't even the religion I grew up in. Sometimes I think the only thing that is unchanged is the disfellowshipping and the door to door. We need this forum to vent and learn why all the things that seemed "not right" were truly wrong. I am so glad it is still here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit