Why Are You Here?

by larc 76 Replies latest jw friends

• larc
    larc

The question, "Why are you here?" is simple enough, and your answer may be straightforward. However, when I asked that of myself, I find that my answer is pretty complicated. I think some of my reasons are noble and some are not so noble.

First off, I am not here because I need emotional support. I have been out for a very long time, so the residual effects are pretty minimal.

My most noble reason for being here is to help others. If I can say something that helps a nervous, emotional lurker join us in dialogue I feel good about that. If I can help someone who does post, by offering them a good suggestion, I feel good about that too.

I also come here for the companionship. In some ways this place reminds me of clubs like the German-American Club or the VFW. Like clubs, this is a place where people with common experiences can share them. This kind of sharing usually can not be done with people that do not have the same heritage as we do. Most "outsiders" simply can't relate and don't get it.

Probably my least noble reason for posting, is that I like to show off. If someone posts something I know about, I enjoy writing a detailed account of my expertise. This can be useful to others if it unique and timely, but it is not useful if I am condescending about it.

A corallary (sp?) to the last item, is that I enjoy winning arguements. Again, this can be useful. A lot, I think, depends on how it is done. Seems to me, if the other person is left feeling humiliated and demoralized that is not a good thing.

I am not sure why I decided to get introspective and write all this. It is usually not my nature. Earlier, today I told my wife that I was feeling kind of "flat" emotionally, which also is not my nature. I think this forum has bothered me lately. The attacks on people have pretty vicious, and recently I have fallen into the trap of attacking people rather than attacking ideas. A few days ago, I decided to try to be civil on a rather emotional subject. I got insulted anyway. Now, that bothered me. Why should I refrain from being my usual prickly self when it doesn't seem to matter anyway?

So, I am going to try to remember my primary objective and that is to help those who are suffering and subordinate my other objectives. So, if you don't like the kinder, gentler Larc, well then piss on you, hee hee.

I am curious. Why do you post here?

• GinnyTosken
    GinnyTosken

Hi, Larc!

It's too late for me to write coherently about why I post.

Still, I just had to tell you that I admire how you eloquently summed up what I've seen of your character in one sentence:

So, if you don't like the kinder, gentler Larc, well then piss on you, hee hee.

Ginny, who loves paradox

• hippikon
    hippikon
    I am curious. Why do you post here?

I must say I often ask my self that too.

I think it’s the kinship – the exclusive club thing. I often feel that I was spiritually raped and a large portion of my life was ripped off. And no one else understands that unless they have been there.

Also I don’t think I have ever seen such a talented bunch. The humour is hysterical

I also like to learn. (Without having to work too hard)

Summery - Therapy, Entertainment, Education

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

I post here so people don't think I've gone back to the JWs.

Or, vice-versa.

• zev
    zev

I post here and read here, because i find other peoples experiences facinating, and helpfull to me. I need the support of this forum. Of the people in it and who want to help me and others like me. The facts and stories related here are of a help that one could only imagine for me.

So...
    Thats why I post and return here often.

Gramps
    __
    zev
    Now feeling the pain of sitting on the pickets class.

• larc
    larc

Hey zev,

Are you talken to me? Are you callen me gramps? Them's fighten words. Only my grandkids can call ME gramps. The nerve of some people... hurumph, hurumph.

Just a little parody on some previous discussions.

• zev
    zev

errr....
    no, that would be because i am a first time grandpa.
    and everyone started calling me gramps.
    so i stuck it in there.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Larc,

I'll tell you why I post!

When I left the dubs in 73 I was still acting the part. I took a job in which I was the local manager / group study conductor. My reps / publishers sold windows / Watchtowers to people. Every week I reported to my Regional manager / PO, and every 3 months I was visited by my Divisional manager / CO. We had weekly sales meetings / service meetings and quarterly seminars / assemblies.

10 years ago I realised that I was locked into a pattern, so I quit my job and started my own business. Because I had been in sales management I knew how to generate business. If anyone wants any tips on how I did it I'll make a post out of the subject.

At this time I suddenly started to realise what an enormous fraud had been perpetrated on me and my family. I got quite mad for a while. Now I find it cathartic to take a swipe at the WT. I'm not much interested in their beliefs, what gets to me is the enormous sociological questions that are raised. That is why so many of my posts are simply relating things / events that I witnessed, such as the denouncing publicly of a 15 year old girl. I feel incredibly protective of the Newbie's here, I want to give them some of the emotional strength that I have accumulated. I want to kick the arses of the bullies who play on their fears. I want to see the ex's regain their courage and self esteem, and if my posts help them to do that then I'm very content.

Englishman.

..... fanaticism masquerading beneath a cloak of reasoned logic.

• larc
    larc

Zev,

Congratulations gramps, just had my second grandchild two weeks ago, a boy. Now, I have one of each. My precious little grandaughter will be 10 in November. Zev, one thing I've learned is that grandchildren are easier to raise than children.

Englishman,

I really liked your post - very heart felt.

• zev
    zev

well....
    when he's older, maybe we can enjoy him, he's only a month or so old, so still to young to put on the motorcycle yet.

[blue]Gramps
    __
    [red]Zev
    [green]Now feeling the pain of sitting on the pickets class.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit