Why Are You Here?

by larc 76 Replies latest jw friends

• mommy
    mommy

I have enjoyed everyone's replies, but Lauralisa you pulled the rug out from under me. I am so glad you are here. I will continue to search out your future posts.

Many times I had shaking hands when I replied to a post, I understand what you are saying. But please continue to participate, I did enjoy it so.

I have found that every now and then the kaka has to come out though. This happens in every aspect of human interaction, from neighors to neighboring countries.
    wendy

Blind faith can justify anything~Richard Dawkins, The selfish gene

• AGuest
    AGuest

larc... may you have peace!

I am here, because:

1. I love people

2. I hate lies, hypocrisy and cowardice

3. By their association with the WTBTS many who come here have been lied to by the hypocritical cowards OF the WTBTS

4. I wish to share in and with the people that I love... the small 'portion' of loving, unhypocritical and bold truth that I have been 'given'

5. By being truthful, loving, unhypocritical and bold toward... and with them...

6. And extending an invitation to receive the same FREE 'gift' that I myself have be 'given'... to ANY who 'wish' it...

7. As is my obligation to do in fulfilling the 'law' to love my neighbor AS myself: I 'received' free... I 'give' free...

That is it; that is all. I know it is not what all wish to hear, but it is the truth.

A slave of Christ,

SJ

• neyank
    neyank

Hi larc,
    Why am I here?

I'm here to read and learn from inteligent posters such as yourself.

I'm here to associate with people that I have a common interest with even
    if it is via the computer.
    I'm here to see how the WTBTS has affected peoples lives.
    And I'm also here to hopefully help others learn the truth about the WTS.

neyank

• SlayerLayer
    SlayerLayer

Lately I've just been here to see whose been offended by some lame little comment. It's become quite an entertaining board. (yes I'm being sarcastic.)

I've been wondering why I even come around here anymore actually. In the begining, it was because I thought it was nice to have people that I share a common bond with. But I've slowly realized that being an ex-jw is the only thing I have in common with many people here.

It all started about a month ago with a post about racism by a black person wanting to start up a controversy. Now look at the main forum. That discussion has branched into about 4 differnt racial threads and a name calling thread.

I would love to be reminded of why I come here. I can't seem to remember.

• JanH
    JanH

Slayer,

You express my sentiments quite exactly.

I'm here to have fun with some of my friends, who happen to hang around this board. Since i joined, I have met some great people. In some time, I will have forgotten the whining morons, and I will still remember and appreciate my friends, new and old.

And I haven't even mentioned the girls here

- Jan
    --
    Faith, n. Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge, of things without parallel. [Ambrose Bierce, The DevilĀ“s Dictionary, 1911]

• truman
    truman

Why am I here?

I am here in one part for support. I am a new convert to being an un-witness, only since March. Though I am still at the KH (to maintain some family harmony) in body once a week or so, I am no longer there in mind and spirit. Not that the org. and its activities ever provided much or any real emotional support, but what I was getting there is gone. I have somewhat alienated my JW son, and no longer feel much cameraderie with friends at the KH. It becomes necessary to build new associations. I am endeavoring to do this as well in the real world, but it is a slow process. Having access and participation in this online world of those with similar experiences and understanding, has become to me, a vital connection in this transitional process. Knowing I am not alone, and that others have gone successfully before me, and that even others are in the same predicament with me is strengthening, and gives hope in what at times has seemed to me a hopeless situation.
    I am not here to win arguments, or even get involved in them. I am not very comfortable with the vigorous conflicts here which some seem to relish. But, I watch, read and learn, even from those discussions. One thing I learn is to try to stop being so afraid. At the KH, I was never a frequent commenter, not because I couldn't think of anything to say, but because of fear. Here I am attempting to participate, even when I am afraid. Maybe the anonymity makes it a little easier, but not much.

Finally, I am here to learn. I am a voracious reader and information gatherer. After being a witness for 27 years, I find so much to learn, esp. with regard to the subjects here. Those who have held higher positions in the org. and give us the benefit of their experience and insight here are real 'spiritual food at the proper time'. Those who no longer need the support, but can in turn give it, those who search the web for tidbits of news and information about the WTS, those who make a detailed analysis of statistics, those who write cynical essays, those who research old WT publications to expose their idiocies, those who write hilarious critical satire about the org., those who post psychological information about high control groups, and even those who argue loudly, are all providing vital sustainence for one like me, who has been spiritually malnourished for so long.

Thanks jw.com for being here!

• Introspection
    Introspection

Well Larc, frankly I think I come here in large part just to socialize and shoot the breeze. I suppose for some of my interests it doesn't have to be this forum, but there is something about having that common background..

Personally, I had been inactive for some time when I found this board, and I guess part of it was just curiosity because the worst of the withdrawal and depression had been over for some time. For me it's been rather educational because I'm someone who didn't see a lot of the disturbing things that went on. Though I did have a clue that it happend, I never experienced it first hand or was very close to those who had such experiences. (that I know of anyway)

As I read Larc's message it occurred to me that another question which we might ask is not so much why we are here, or what our intentions are for being here, but what the result of being here tends to be for each of us. I do find it interesting to discuss both witness and non-witness related topics, but sometimes (often, actually) it does seem like I'm spending too much time online and not being productive. I can only imagine that some information I share might be helpful to others, but the fact is I don't really know unless I get some feedback on it.

I guess I'm a lot better about not paying attention to offensive messages now, because I really don't read those threads, I don't have time to read everything here anyways. To the timid ones who are afraid of being trashed by some of the bolder and perhaps more articulate and outspoken members - I say so what? It's not like they know where you live and can track you down. Another thing is we really only know each other by the messages that we post, unless you also happen to know someone personally, it's really just words. There's no reason to take it personally because most will not know you as a person anyway. There may be a whole other side of the person that we don't know about from the posts they make, even if they're already a Jedi member or something.

I guess when you get right down to it, some are not here to help others. I believe I've heard a few members say so for that matter. In some cases the posts of some outspoken ones may be very disturbing for those who are still active or are newly out, but in the end it may prove to be helpful because atleast it's been said - and if nothing else it is informative even if you don't agree with it. I really think the key is to not take things too seriously. Though it is nice to connect with others on a personal level, (I'm fully aware that it happens online all the time) generally speaking it's just people talking. I imagine that I'll be around even if most of the messages are just emotional personal attacks, frankly I may not even be aware of it. (is it already that way?) I'll go with the few threads which I'm interested in.

"It is not so much that you use your mind wrongly--you usually don't use it at all. It uses you. This is the disease." -Eckhart Tolle, The Power of Now

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I come here to read post like lauralisa's above. To have words put to the thoughts that roll around my mind in such a disorganized fashion. Words that may organize themselves a bit when I am working, or driving, but seldom when I am sitting at a computer with rhetorical intent.

It is also great to see words put to thoughts that were NOT rolling around in my brain because I had tucked them away so deeply, I wasn't even aware anymore that I had ever thought them. Much of the criticism of the bible was like that, for me, at least at first.

Also to learn about what shaped me, affected every fiber of my being for my entire life. I've learned enough, I believe, to have a handle on the big picture of the Borg, but it is still very interesting to see how others were affected, are affected.

• waiting
  • patio34
    patio34

LauraLisa,

Your post made me laugh out loud! I hope you stay here a while, you have a lot to add.

I loved your synopsis of jw life, and then added you didn't actually DO all of that, but gave good comments! LOL!

Thanks for the intro and the laughs,

Pat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit