It's my opinion...

by teejay 22 Replies latest jw friends

• teejay
    teejay

... or is it?

I know what I think about the Watchtower Society. I know what I think about the current state of the Republican Party and its standard bearer George W. Bush. I know what I think about the Ford Motor Company. You want my opinion? I just may give it.

Problem is... is it totally *my* opinion? How much of my opinion is fundamentally MINE? OTOH, how much of it was shaped by the people around me ? the people I love and/or respect? Is my opinion, say, of the Ford Motor Company, shaped as it is by my own peculiar experiences with that fine corporate entity, necessarily relevant to anyone else? How strong is my opinion, and, if strong, to what lengths will/should I go to defend it?

On another board, "Sam" is vehemently defending his opinion about "Joe" ? an astonishingly fixed opinion since Sam formed it after doing nothing more than reading emails and personal messages, presumably from some of Joe's "enemies". With no personal, firsthand knowledge of Joe; with no experience of being around Joe at all, Sam is adamant in his understandably shallow defense of "his" opinion.

By the same token, I work around people who have their minds made up, one way or the other, about the upcoming U.S. Presidential election. If you ask them (and I have), they will tell you that they've not really paid that much to what either man has said. They seldom read the papers, aren't following the two campaigns; don't watch much of the news. "One just seems more honest than the other," they will say.

It got me to thinking...

When someone says "in my opinion," of what value is it, really? How much of my opinion is really my opinion? And how much of it is someone else's?

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

Hello tj......long time...

When anyone prefaces a comment with 'in my opinion' it quickly raises red flags for all listeners. I prefer someone to simply state what they believe without the controversial precursor.

Measuring whether one has a completely independent thought or is just simply regurgitating is really a tough call. Like you, I believe we reflect the sum total of our life experiences and education. What screws up the process is emotion and cultural atmosphere.

Political correctness is one of those cultural atmosphere things that make people do and say things.....can I safely say?.........tell 'little white lies' about thier true beliefs.

Of course you and I have never done so.

Hope you and yours are well.

Danny

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

((((((((((((((((((Danny)))))))))))))))))))) So good to see you posting. I've sure missed you!

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

Old home week going on here.........hello Sheri a big bear ((((((((((((((((((hug))))))))))))))))) back to you. I drop in now and then....and I know what you mean it is nice to see a name familiar.

Hope you and your business are doing well!!!!!

Now say something about your opinion or tj will be getting pissed. He Haw

Danny

• gumby
    gumby

Dannybastard....nice to have you pop in! Always a pleasure to hear your opinion too ol' bud. I miss ya.

Gumby

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

Say something about TJ's post. hmm, let me scroll down and read it first.

He was speaking of opinions. Hmm, I have a few but I seldom share them.

Hows that?

• Stefanie
    Stefanie

aww Thats aggrivating when someone says that, then they say that they are entitled to it! Of Course they are.... And we know because they keep reminding us that they are...

I have been reminded time and time again that when you post something, you "invite" opinions wether they are aggreable to yours or not.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I like it when people tell me that something they are saying is their opinion. Then I can ask them why they feel as they do. I can dig to find out why they have that particular opinion. Is their opinion based in fact or is it just a gut feeling they have?

If someone has a snotty opinion about you or your life, you can turn it on them and say, "After all it's just your opinion. I have my feelings and opinions as well. They both have merit."

• Panda
    Panda

TeeJay, If someone says "It's just my opinion" and that someone is a friend I definitely pay attention to what they say. It's respectful and I expect the same from them. If a person shares their opinion with me they are telling me something about themselves. If I immediately negate them then ..it seems I should expect the same. Often "Its just my opinion" is not their opinion but the sum of the information they've put together from the available sources...wait a second !!!! That's my opinion

• Englishman
    Englishman

Opinions vary all the time. Mine do. I was initially in favour of the war in Iraq, now, on the basis of the information that I have received, I am no longer in favour of it. I might change my mind if the situation changes.

We see the unvarying opinions of JW's when they call upon us and we offer an alternative opinion. A shutter comes down over their eyes to be replaced by the familiar glazed look.

I think it's healthy to change our opinions from time to time. So we might have innaccurate opinions at times, it doesn't really matter.

Englishman.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit