Would You See A Therapist or Doctor To Help You Get Out of JWs???

by minimus 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

I am thinking about it because I still have issues with anger towards the WT. The only problem is that here in Quebec most therapist have no clue about mind control in the JW. I will try and find one that knows how to help someone who was a victim of mind control.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Mine is familiar with mind control and religions who are very closed to the outside world i.e. orthodox Jews and several very fanatical baptist groups.

• minimus
    minimus

A DB can *help* a person deal with some issues. But no one here (that I know of) is a qualified certified therapist.

Clearly some people NEED help to move on from their JW past.

I fear that at times, some on the board might actually give wrong, ill-advised comments to *help* a person but in reality they may end up hurting someone.

The thing about therapists, is that there's a million of them! So if one doesn't quite click with you, another might.

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

I agree.

Let's not insult or adulate ourselves here.

I'd say don't put all eggs in one basket,
    whatever we're trying to accomplish.
    (no matter how sturdy/shiny the basket
    and how easy/convenient it would seem)

If after an experience like the dubs,
    you are prone to prejudice or assumption
    or don't understand what this means,
    and one fails to explain it sufficiently for your needs,
    seek further input from as many different sources
    as you can reasonably access.

We can definitely "help" and support one another in many
    ways on this forum, but let's not limit ourselves to
    the blind leading the blind, hey?

• Panda
    Panda

Psychiatrist and psychoanalysis were 5 years of learning and dealing with the ugliness of mind control (and some other stuff). In the meantime I went to Univ of Texas, got my degree, studied in Beijing PRC came back DA'd myself because I like to cause trouble and make people stop fence sitting --- friends would either remain friends or not, it was their choice. Then back to China for graduate school. Do I think a psychiatrist is worth the effort in easing out've bOrgdom? You tell me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit