Life of Brian

by William Penwell 25 Replies latest social humour

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

Do a search for "Bit Tornado" download and install it. There are a number of Bit Torrant sites but the one I use is www.suprnova.org You need a fairly fast computer, Pentium 4. I have 2.8 gz on mine. Also the video files are fairly large, up to 5 GB, so make sure you have a hard drive with enough space. Make sure you are running a virus scan at the same time. Some of the pop up at the site try and upload crap onto your PC. Depending on the speed of your computer and the number of seeds, it can take up to 3 to 4 days to upload a video file.

Will

• Gordy
    Gordy

What do you mean couldn't see when a JW? I and many other JW's saw it when it came out.

I think its one of the best anti-religion films made. It doesn't attack a persons faith, but organised religion. One of the best scenes is when Brian is being chased by those who think he is the Messiah. He loses his sandals. One group picks up his right sandal and declares they are followers of the "Right Sandal" Another group pick up Brians left sandal and declare they are followers of the "Left Sandal". Immediately the two groups start fighting each other. For me it epitomised religion and the way they fight each other while claiming to worship the same person. Also no matter what Brian said no one took a blind bit of notice of him. Again to me reflecting what people do with what Jesus said, not take a blind bit of notice of his words, and make them mean what they want them to mean.

Anyway what have the Romans done for us?

• Dan-O
    Dan-O
    It comes a close second to Holy Grail.

Are you f'ing kidding me? It beats the bejesus outta Holy Grail. Maybe a second to The Meaning of Life, though. But yeah, a darn funny movie all the same.

WISE MAN #1: We are three wise men.
    MANDY: Well, what are you doing creeping around a cow shed at two o'clock in the morning? That doesn't sound very wise to me.
    WISE MAN #3: We are astrologers.
    WISE MAN #1: We have come from the East.
    MANDY: Is this some kind of joke?
    WISE MAN #2: We wish to praise the infant.
    WISE MAN #1: We must pay homage to him.
    MANDY: Homage? You're all drunk. It's disgusting. Out! The lot, out!
  • Abaddon
    Abaddon

I have to agree with Dan-O.

Life of Brian is funnier than Holy Grail. It's not like a large gap; if I hadn't grown up in a religious environment I might not grok the fulness of Life of Brian.

My girlfriend is virtually word-perfect with both films, it's quite uncanny. She also knows Dirty Dancing backwards. 8-)

Fave bits?

"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy" is one of the best single lines in ANY film.

But the Sermon on the Mount sketch, the Romans go home sketch, the Biggus DIckus sketch, the Halibut sketch... especially th Halibut sketch...

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

"Crucifixion? Good. Out of the door, line on the left, one cross each."

• Sirona
    Sirona

http://www.mwscomp.com/movies/brian/brian.htm

BRIAN:
    Don't you, eh, pass judgment on other people, or you might get judged yourself.
    COLIN:
    What?
    BRIAN:
    I said, 'Don't pass judgment on other people, or else you might get judged, too.'
    COLIN:
    Who, me?
    BRIAN:
    Yes.
    COLIN:
    Oh. Ooh. Thank you very much.
    BRIAN:
    Well, not just you. All of you.
    DENNIS:
    That's a nice gourd.
    BRIAN:
    What?
    DENNIS:
    How much do you want for the gourd?
    BRIAN:
    I don't. You can have it.
    DENNIS:
    Have it?
    BRIAN:
    Yes. Consider the lilies...
    DENNIS:
    Eh, d-- d-- don't you want to haggle?
    BRIAN:
    No. ...in the field.
    DENNIS:
    What's wrong with it, then?
    BRIAN:
    Nothing. Take it.
    ELSIE:
    Consider the lilies?
    BRIAN:
    Uh, well, the birds, then.
    EDDIE:
    What birds?
    BRIAN:
    Any birds.
    EDDIE:
    Why?
    BRIAN:
    Well, have they got jobs?
    ARTHUR:
    Who?
    BRIAN:
    The birds.
    EDDIE:
    Have the birds got jobs?!
    FRANK:
    What's the matter with him?
    ARTHUR:
    He says the birds are scrounging.
    BRIAN:
    Oh, uhh, no, the point is the birds. They do all right. Don't they?
    FRANK:
    Well, good luck to 'em.
    EDDIE:
    Yeah. They're very pretty.
    BRIAN:
    Okay, and you're much more important than they are, right? So, what are you worrying about? There you are. See?
    EDDIE:
    I'm worrying about what you have got against birds.
    BRIAN:
    I haven't got anything against the birds. Consider the lilies.
    ARTHUR:
    He's having a go at the flowers now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit