I can't believe I am doing this again

by Mulan 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Mulan
    Mulan

I am canning today. I got rid of all my jars, my pressure cooker and other canning paraphernalia years ago. It seemed so silly to can anything for Dave, myself, and our one remaining child at home.

Then we got fruit trees. This year the plum tree is overloaded, so I am canning them today. I went all over town trying to find jars, and finally found pints, which will have to do. Dave is still picking them now, so we may have to expand our search to neighboring stores. I did keep my big water bath cooker, because it was a nice big pot to use for other things too. That will be just fine for what I am doing today.

I am a bit surprised how it's all coming back to me. I remember pioneering in September, running home at 2 PM to get a batch of peaches or tomatoes done before I had to start dinner. How did I ever do it all? I need a nap.

• Xena
    Xena

I used to do a lot of canning when we had a place with 5 acres and a grove of peach and plum trees. There is a great sense of satisfaction in it. I loved putting up pickles with my mom too. Good memories, thanks for bringing them back.

One of these days I need to get off my can and can again...

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

oh Mulan I gave that up years ago and also got rid of all th equipment. I don't even want to think about taking it up again. It is back breaking work

PS send jam lol

• Sassy
    Sassy

wow it reminds you of pioneering days.. shudder....

well it is a lot of work.. but I'm sure you will love it later..

are you going to share with Princess?

• Mulan
    Mulan
    PS send jam lol

I know................I told Dave we can also make jam, but he has to pit them. He agreed, because he loves his jam. We always make lots from our raspberries each July, so plum jam will be good too.

wow it reminds you of pioneering days.. shudder....
    are you going to share with Princess?

Yep! Dave called her and left a message to come over and get some plums. As for pioneering memories, they aren't all bad. I was only about 28 back then when I canned AND pioneered, so it's a fading memory. Hahaha.

• ballistic
    ballistic

A lorry (aka in US as Truck) spilled it's load of fruit on the M6 earlier today. - I bet it caused a bit of a jam!!!

• Celia
    Celia

Home made jams and jellies, yum ... My neighbor found a peach orchard not far from here, organic grown, no pesticides, and bought tons of them... I ended up with at least 15 pounds and made jam... scrumptious... and a few jars of sliced peaches. Tons of tomatoes in my garden, so I canned tomato sauce for spaghetti dinners this winter. Before that I made strawberry jam. I don't like canning tomato sauce, but I enjoy making jams and jellies.

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

Mulan, you could sell them to some of us online. I'd be willing to buy some canned plums. I haven't had them since I lived in MN.

• Celia
    Celia

I don't seem to edit my post, tried a few times... I also made rhubarb/apricot jam, which is absolutely delicious....

• Soledad
    Soledad

WH has a point Mulan I'd love to buy from you!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit