Morons who steal my laundry detergent.

by Nancy Drake 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Nancy Drake
    Nancy Drake

I never had to lock up my detergent before! I thought the bottle was feeling a little light one day, but I thought maybe my boyfriend did a couple loads (yeah, right.) Then after I bought a full bottle, did one load, and came back to an almost empty bottle, I knew it was theft. Since then, I have to lock it up.

I foolishly left my newly bought dryer sheets (nice smelling purple box Snuggle). I came back a couple hours later and the ENTIRE BOX IS GONE!!! For the love of Jehovah, use one or two sheets if you really have to, BUT THE WHOLE BOX!!???? They didn't even leave the box!

My boyfriend says we should leave a "Booby trapped" bottle of detergent next to our washer and put something like dye or bleach in it to find the culprit.

Any ideas from all you creative people? Or should I just be more careful to keep my stuff locked up and turn the other cheek?

• Confucious
    Confucious

I vote for the booby trap.

• Gadget
    Gadget

The booby trap sounds good to me too, but rather than going for somethingpermanant like bleach is there anything you could do that would dye the clothes but wash out after a couple of washes? That would be enough to teach them a lesson but not enough to make enemys...........

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I like the idea of bleach!

Of course you didn't put the bottle out with bleach on purpose! You had to do that because you lost the top to your bleach bottle, so you moved the bleach into a spare detergent bottle. If anyone happens to use the "detergent" it is their own fault.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Oh, sorry about that, didn't realize that was your detergent I was stealing.

• myauntfanny
    myauntfanny

Bleach seems a bit too harsh to me. What if it's some poverty-stricken, exhausted, single mother of four who then has to send her kids to school in bleach-spotted clothes, where they will be psychically scarred for life by the mockery and humiliation? I'm a big fan of fantasy revenge, but in real normal everyday life "bad" people usually turn out to be sad, incompetent yumps who aren't worth taking serious revenge on. Them being them is usually bad enough. I'd just lock up the laundry soap up.

• Quotes
    Quotes

What do you want: revenge? or simply to have others not steal your detergent?

The boobytrap will make enemies, and the world has enough tit-for-tat enemies (q.v. Middle East, Ireland, JWs).

Take control of your property and lock it up. If you are truly angry enough to destroy someone's load of laundry, perhaps that anger can be channelled into detective work and confrontation. If you don't have the guts to confront anyone on this, you probably won't have the guts to deal with the fallout after you have destroyed someone's load.

~Quotes, of the "raised in a huge family and learned at a young age to protect his turf" class

P.S. What is "tat", where can I get some, and how can I trade it in for the other thing?

• Scully
    Scully

Someone once stole a laundry basket of mine. So I wrote my name and apartment number in permanent marker on the bottom surface of my laundry basket - and caught the culprit the NEXT time it happened. It seems like such an utterly stupid thing to steal... same goes for laundry detergent. What used to get me upset more than anything was morons who would take my wet clothes out of the dryer and then put their clothes in and dry them with my money. I caught someone doing it and boy, were they embarrassed. I took their clothes hostage until they gave me back my money (put them in a laundry basket and sat on it while I waited for my clothes to dry and for them to come back), and then I reported them to the Apartment Manager. It would be interesting to set up a webcam to see exactly who it is that's stealing your laundry supplies.

Keep your laundry supplies in your apartment - top shelf of the front closet is a good place to store it - and only take enough to the laundry room to do your own clothes. Liquid detergent can go in a washed out mayonnaise jar or yogurt tub. Powdered stuff can go in a ziploc bag. Honestly, I really think that some people are dumb enough to assume that laundry supplies left out are "community property". If you don't leave it there, they can't take it. Pretty simple.

It's really worth it to go to the laundromat, put all the clothes in several machines all at once, dry them all at once, fold and sort them, then take them all home. It gives you an hour or more of "personal time" with a good book, a thermos of coffee or tea, plus the peace of mind that nobody is going to steal your stuff.

Oh, and throwing in a red sock in their whites is revenge enough. If it's a guy that's doing it, he'll have some 'splainin' to do about where he got the pink undies, socks and shirts. And the bleach in the detergent bottle is good too. Or maybe pick up some skunk musk in a sporting goods shop, or if you have a cat, put a rag in the litter box to soak it with urine and pop it in the dryer. [Disclaimer: Those are revenge fantasies, and only for entertainment value, not recommended to use IRL.] Having to replace their wardrobe just once should teach them that it's better to pay for their own supplies. How would they go about explaining that you ruined all their clothes, when they were the ones who stole your laundry supplies in the first place?

Love, Scully

• Scully
    Scully

myauntfanny writes:

What if it's some poverty-stricken, exhausted, single mother of four who then has to send her kids to school in bleach-spotted clothes, where they will be psychically scarred for life by the mockery and humiliation?

Even "poverty-stricken, exhausted, single mothers of four" should know better than to take things that don't belong to them. If she's stealing laundry detergent, what kind of example is she setting for her kids? And what kind of "psychical" scarring is she doing by teaching them by her example that their circumstances makes it ok to commit petty theft?

Sorry if it sounds like I'm lacking in compassion, but I've been there (with 3 kids), and I don't think being strapped for cash is an excuse to steal. I'd rather modify my lifestyle (cut back on "frills" and non-essentials) than be a thief or send a loud message to my kids that taking what isn't their's is acceptable.

Love, Scully

• Mulan
    Mulan
    Keep your laundry supplies in your apartment - top shelf of the front closet is a good place to store it - and only take enough to the laundry room to do your own clothes. Liquid detergent can go in a washed out mayonnaise jar or yogurt tub. Powdered stuff can go in a ziploc bag. Honestly, I really think that some people are dumb enough to assume that laundry supplies left out are "community property". If you don't leave it there, they can't take it. Pretty simple.

This just seems common sense to me. Don't leave it in the laundry room.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit