should crisis of conscience be on the net?

by sleepy 29 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• sleepy
    sleepy

Got to be honest an say I'm supprissed CofC is not on the net in some offical form.
    Any good reason why its not there?

Lets think, If I was a executive in a pharmaceutical company that gave out drug that were harmful, I then realised the drugs were bad, but the rest of the exectives didn't want to know and chucked you out,you lost your money and pension but you had the infomation to help people who had taken the bad drugs , would you,
    1.Sell the information in a book.
    2.make sure anyone who needed that information, could get it even if you had to give it for free.

maybe I'm missing something vitaly important in the mix.

• Simon
    Simon

I don't think that the cost of a paperback should be any obstacle to people reading the book - they could even get one from their library or borrow one.

You have to bear in mind people's situation and responsibilities. If I'd left a position like that and was facing old age without any savings or pension then I would be hesitant to throw away a potential source of income - bearing in mind that you would want to provide for your dependants (eg wife) as well.

• dh
    dh

it would be good if it was available online as an ebook that could be bought & read online while still paying a price for it... i think that would only be of use to people who find it easier to read online than a real book.

• joenobody
    joenobody

If you read the book and knew how Ray was left high and dry in post-WTS, I think you'd have no problem shelling out a few bucks for it. If it was available electronically people would just steal it like everything else. It's not like he claims the book is from God or anything.

• Bubbamar
    Bubbamar

I just wonder, if a person is ready for CoC then won't they go ahead and read it - if even at the library. If the person is still in the mindset of sneaking a peek on the internet - I wonder if they could handle it?

But, I do agree that a for-pay downloadable version would be great. I don't think Ray should give it away for free. He lost so much and the only thing he knows is writing -- it seems obvious to turn it into a profession.

Before people join the WT - they have every opportunity to do the research on their new cult. Many choose not to. They choose to donate $$ to the WT and buy their books and magazines rather than buy a book that can provided them with important information. A better analogy might be taking a medication without reading the disclaimer regarding known side effects -- then complaining that the medication made you blind.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Bubbamar no better a statement has ever been said than yours regarding any venture albeit a religious, political or business venture than your words:

Before people join the WT - they have every opportunity to do the research on their new cult. Many choose not to. They choose to donate $$ to the WT and buy their books and magazines rather than buy a book that can provided them with important information. A better analogy might be taking a medication without reading the disclaimer regarding known side effects -- then complaining that the medication made you blind.

I just wonder if most people have to have been on the wrong end of the stick before they come to that conclusion. Whats the saying once bitten twice shy? I know for myself I do my research now before committing to anything, some lessons are just learned the hard way well at least for me. Good lesson, time is too short to give it away to anything IMHO.

As far as the book being on the net for free I don't ever want that to happen for someone like Franz who gave up so much of his life for an organization, he should have some recompense for all the years he spent giving to the WTS. I would gladly pay the money and have, a couple of times for his books, he deserves the income on this venture IMHO. Best money I ever spent because it really opened my eyes to the WTS as it should many others.

Kate

• sleepy
    sleepy

This is not about whether people should be willing to buy a book (I did)but whether the information should be freely available, so that anyone can read it.
    Franz is just a person like you and me, no better , he does not deserve more than anyone else.If he has information that could help others why not make it available.This is not about being cheap but being kind and fair to those you yourself may have affected in your life.
    Lots of people left the truth with nothing, he was not the only one.
    If it was on the net some witness may find the information and read it out of curiosity, tthey would be very unlikely to order the book.
    If it was you wouldn't you just want people to know?

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

sleepy

There are plenty of quotes and comments regarding what Ray has written in his book that should keep people quite happy if they don't want to buy the book.

Who knows perhpas after Ray and his wife have passed on he has made some arrangement to provide the info for free.

But until that time like any author he holds the legal copyright and that should be respected. He did a great service already in writing the two books.

• sleepy
    sleepy

Who knows?
    But when does the information become more important than the person.
    I think it does in this case.
    How many other ex-JWs get the chance to earn money out of telling people the organisation they were once part of running is actually wrong?
    "actually all that stuff in the watchtower was wrong , but you'll have to pay me to find out why"
    It the principle I dont agree with , I don't mind buying a book knowing it cost money to make and people need to make a living,but which other EX-JWs do I send money to, I'm going to pretty poor after paying out to all those thousands stuck without pesions.
    1.If the reason people are paying for the book is to support Ray Franz in his old age then they should be giving money to all those in the same position.
    2.If they are paying for the cost of making a book, then in order to reduce costs it could be put on the net it would then just cost the hosting fee and the time to put it there.It would then be much more freely accesable.

• sleepy
    sleepy

Edits not working.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit