Where were God's chosen ppl between bible times and late 1800's?

by Lecari12RuleU 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• abbagail
    abbagail

Once we get passed trying to fit everything biblical into a WT-frame (which definitely takes some UNbrainwashing), then it gets a lot easier to figure things out. My thought would be that God's 'chosen' people (a WT phrase, isn't it?) are not always in one lump (group, religion, org, etc.), but can be any individual anywhere at any time in history, wherever the HS sees fit to dwell in whomever. So, to answer your Q, "God's chosen people" were all over the place and most likely without a distinctive religion-based 'label.' I heard the other day that 'denominations' are something invented later on. WT would deny it, of course, but they are nothing but another denomination, and a very cultish one at that (which you already realize or you wouldn't be here, lol). Someone mentioned the Waldenses AND the Adventists. Funny that a SDA weekly program on the faith channel did a show about the Waldenses several months back. It was quite interesting but they trumped up the W's the same way the WT always did. Two shows I watched and liked FOR AWHILE on the faith channel were "Amazing Facts" and "It Is Written" because what they often explained agreed with my then-stillW-brain re: things like burning in hell (not), etc. Also, the pictures and illustrations used by 'Amazing Facts' were soooooo similar to those in WT mags, which was my first alarm of suspicion. Then their Q&A format started to irk me (ask Q, provide the A). Then their 'bragging on themselves' got to me (just like WT does). Then their contradiction o f other things I have since learned that make much more sense

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I was once told that there was always at least one person who had figured out the "Truth" (TM). What I never could figure out was which version of the "Truth" (TM) did the people figure out? Was it the "Truth"(TM) as taught for Russel, or the "Truth" (TM) as taught by Rutherford, or the "Truth" (TM) taught by Knor or the "Truth" (TM) as taught by Fraz or the current "Truth" (TM).

Maybe they figured out some future "Truth" (TM) that gawd's sole channel of communication has not yet recieved from Jehover?

• abbagail
    abbagail

ooops... I accidentally hit submit before I was finished and it won't let me edit. To finish the above...

hen their contradiction of other things I have since learned that make much more sense, turned me off, and I realized something was amiss. Turns out these two shows were produced by Seventh Day Adventists. Duh. No wonder they are so similar to WT-ism.

Now I forgot why I even brought that up. Anyway, I actually think the term "God's Chosen People" applies to Israel. The way I understand it, God is 'married' to fleshly/literal Israel and will redeem one-third of her; Jesus is 'married' to the NT Church and will rapture the faithful ones out of harm's way during the trib and then return with her to the Mt. of Olives at his literaly 2nd coming (when leftover fleshly Jews and the returning-Christ-bride will all become one big happy family for the 1000 year reign). In the meantime, from 1st century to the 20thC, God's Jews were scattered everywhere, and Jesus' 'bride' was also scattered throughout numerous denominations. Hope that makes a little good sense. ;-)

/ag

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Lecari:

"there was a faithful brother who lived in Saxon England in 1380...."

Ermm that would be because the Norman invasion of 1066AD put paid to Saxon rule. Harold wasn't too pleased about it, as it cost him an eye (and then his life) at Hastings.
    They had a good innings, though, given that they began driving out the Britons around the start of the 6th century (only 175 years or so after the council of Nicea).

1381 was the time that John Wycliff (whom the WTS acknowledge) had things to say about the doctrine of transubstantiation, and was involved in the translating of the Bible into English. He died three years later.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Maybe the WTS says that anyone who opposed the mainstream churches was a servant of Jehover.

Maybe this is why the WTS could never be a dominant religion... then THEY would become a mainstream religion open to the wrath of gawds servants.

• Bubbamar
    Bubbamar

They were just chillin' --- waiting on Jehovah to send Russell. Man, think of it....no meetings, no field service, no committee meetings...that would have been the best time to be His chosen people!

• Lecari12RuleU
    Lecari12RuleU

I'm in full agreement "the best time for his ppl" would be when there wasn't anything to be done. ;) PARTY all the time!!! hehe.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Earlier on, the wt pointed to various groups and an unbroken chain from the time of the apostles to c t russel. However, the light on this chain went out in later wt's, and they could no longer identify who was part of it. This change saved them from embarrasments from the members of the chain. Maybe blondie will come in here w some quotes

S

Ps, i once read a baptist document where they traced themselves right back to the first century. Some other protestant groups also do this. James wylie traced protestantism back like this in his two or three volume book, 'the history of protestantism' - 1878. You can read it @ http://www.whatsaiththescripture.com/Voice/Quick.View.Book_14.html or download it.

• gumby
    gumby
    If JW's are God's "chosen religion" then wouldn't his ppl have records of their being around the WHOLE time? This does not make any sense to me.

They would at LEAST have a record of who the Faithful and Discreet Slave was just PRIOR to Russell.

They don't. Russell has no "Slave" whom he was supposed to have recieved his food from since this food is passed on from one succeding generation of the Slave Class to another.

Read the Book "Jehovah's Witnesses in the Divine Purpose" book and see how Russell began. He worked independent of other men although he borrowed some thoughts from them. Surely if there was a god directed slave class from Pentecost till now, it would have grown in numbers to a point Russell would have had more than a few to learn sacred truths from.

Gumby

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit