Are you an atheist? ...

by Nicolas 56 Replies latest jw friends

• flower
    flower

Count me into the Agnostic but open minded group. As in when its proven I'll believe it.

• TMS
    TMS

Actually, it's almost defamation to say that God exists. If he does, he is heartless, calloused, impersonal, disinterested, arrogant, noncommunicative, aloof, ignorant, biased, cruel, powerless, insane . . . . . . . . .

tms

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

The following words found scrawled on a cellar wall where Jews had hidden in World War II in Cologne, Germany pretty much express my sentiments:

"I believe in the sun even when it's not shining.

And I believe in love even when I'm alone.

I believe in God even when He's silent."

• meggidon555
    meggidon555

why do laws exist but to control right and wrong actions in mans sight

the are suedo morality man made morality

oh and last time I check all states that back atheism have failed because the people saw no threat from the ruler minus the gunspointed at their heads but even that won't stop a revelution goverment need religion to control the people the fear of a higher source punishing you after your dead is the best supressint to rebelion. I life gets to bad people become demoralized and suicidal the revolt not fear death but life

. with out a higher source than man made weapons goverments fail to keep them fearing death

in fact looking at almost all early goverments the rulers normaly claim to to sons of god

that as we know today is BS

sorry for the hijack i'll start my own thread later

• Panda
    Panda

Mulan,I think if your brother had a chance to explain he wouldn't say "it just is." There are explanations for the universe yet there are many elements of the universe we don't understand (ie.,dark matter); not because they aren't there but because we only see or measure their effects and need to learn more to detect the elements involved. We don't know everything and we never will. The universe is awesome enough why would anyone want to worship a human creation such as the Bible God ?

• Panda
    Panda

Allow me to quote Epicurius:

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?

Then his is not omnipotence.

Is he able but not willing?

Then whence cometh evil.

Is he neither able nor willing?

Then why call him God?

The reality of life is richer and more resourceful than we imagine.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Mulan said that her brother's statement is profound, and I agree. "It just is." God doesn't explain anything, because even if there is a God, then where does he/she/it come from? God "just is", too.

I don't categorically deny the existence of som extra-universal force, because to do so one would have to define the nature of the force, which is inherently beyond our capacity. But I see no good reason to believe in any of what people call "Gods".

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

Actually, it's almost defamation to say that God exists. If he does, he is heartless, calloused, impersonal, disinterested, arrogant, noncommunicative, aloof, ignorant, biased, cruel, powerless, insane . . . . . . . . .

An interesting argument. An ad Deium argument, if you will. Blame God. Care to elaborate?

CZAR

• Panda
    Panda

Hey has anyone read" God , a Biography"? It was published about 8 years ago and was one of the first non-JW books about the Bible that spoke from a totally secular view of the personalities of the Bible God.

• TMS
    TMS

Czarofmischief,

Elaborate? Ok, just a bit. An all-powerful personage has a front row seat to the holocaust and countless other atrocities through the centuries.. . . . . He does nothing. . . . . If He exists, he has a lot of 'splainin' to do. If He doesn't exist, he's "off the hook."

tms

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit