Does Belgium Have it Right About JWs?

by ezekiel3 106 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Xena
    Xena

outbutnotdown, I listed with links two other articles regarding the religious banning. They included a partial list of banned religions:

Amish Mission in Belgium
    bulletAssemblies of God
    bulletAssociation of Flemish Pentecostal Assemblies
    bulletBethel Pentecostal Church
    bulletCalvary Christian Center
    bulletCelestian Church of Christ
    bulletCharismatic Revival
    bulletChristian Church
    bulletChrist's Church in Brussels
    bulletDarbyst Brothers' Assemblies
    bulletEvangelical Christians
    bulletEvangelical Free Church
    bulletFree Evangelical Pentecostal Assemblies
    bulletHasidic Judaism
    bulletInternational Church of Christ
    bulletPentecostal Evangelical Action
    bulletReformed Evangelism Center (in Essen)
    bulletReligious Society of Friends (Quakers)
    bullet4 Roman Catholic organizations, including Opus Dei
    bulletSeventh-Day Adventists
    bulletUniversal Church of God
    bulletUniversal Church of the Kingdom of God
    bulletYWCA
  • Narkissos
    Narkissos

Xena,

None of those is banned. This is just a list of religions in which some potentially harmful aspects have been locally observed. Nothing more.

Btw, I posted the link to the entire Dept. of State Report earlier on this thread.

• outbutnotdown
    outbutnotdown

Czar,

You're an interesting character. You take things completely out of context, or else just don't read the whole story, or something. You quote, that I said God gave us freedom of religion when in fact I was just repeating your thoughts. Don't group me in with yours, please.

God (or whatever), did not give us the inalienable right to wrship however we choose. He gave us the free thought process that when we are told to worship a certain way, to judge others harshly, to hit our kids, to not take blood.... etc., etc., etc., that we are still able to see that this is NOT the best way to do things and to leave the situation. Just because other JW's wish to continue to judge us, doesn't meant that we have to accept that as being anything other than a weakness that they have not overcome.

To quote Jesus, (sort of), 'I am no part of the JW world (or any other org. whose basic premise is to control people, with negative consequences), just as my father is no part of this world.'

I agree to a certain extent, that the JW's, for example, do show their true colours in the press, etc., but I think we need to do more than just sit idly by and allow them to slowly lose respect, even within their own ranks. How many people have to, at best, live their lives without fully being free and open-minded and loving unconditionally? That "half living" is as sad as dying, IMHO.

B.

• ignored_one
    ignored_one

I'd rather have "freedom from religion".

-

Ignored One.

• Xena
    Xena

Your right, I apologize for that, they are not banned....

They are included on a list of cults and are denied f inancing as a recognised religion. Interestingly enough the state subsidies are provided by all taxpayers, including those who profess a non-recognised religion or who do not adhere to any religion or belief system. This system is not equitable in so far as taxpayers are unable to prohibit the state from using their income tax to finance religions and secular humanism that are openly opposed to non-recognised minority religions.

Also, the state has put in place mechanisms and agencies - Parliamentary Enquiry Commission on Sects, Centre for Information and Advice on Harmful Sectarian Organizations and Inter-Ministerial Coordination Agency of Fight against Harmful Sectarian Organizations - to identify so-called ?harmful cults? (bad religions), warn the public and fight against them.

A few more things denied them...

The distribution of printed material, including religious and philosophical writings, is forbidden by municipal decrees in certain parts of Brussels and of other towns: near schools, (Christian) churches (but strangely enough not synagogues, mosques or any other non-Christian places of worship), military barracks, etc. Other regulations provide that any distribution of printed material, even free of charge and on a small scale, may only be carried out with the written approval of the mayor and after the payment of a small fee.

Some Belgian municipalities have made it a requirement for candidates for positions as civil servants to swear a statement that they do not belong to a harmful sectarian organisation.

Renting public places for meetings is often denied to religious associations mentioned on the official list of 189 movements suspected of being ?harmful sectarian organizations?.

In divorce cases, courts sometimes deny the child custody to the parent who is affiliated to a non-recognised religion.

*most of the above was taken from reports already posted*

I guess I just personally have issues with denying people the freedom to practice their religion without being discriminated against, yes even Jehovah's Witnesses. I have no problem with honest informative material being distributed to people so they can make their own judgement calls, but beyond that it's up to the individual to make a decision about how they want to worship.

• heathen
    heathen

Pole--- Why do you think so many people are trying to get citizenship in the US ? It's because they heard about the freedoms we have and want to be part of it . So why not just have other governments use the same constitution and grant people the freedoms they are willing to risk their life to get by coming here? Nobody is saying to force anyone to do anything (even tho the US does do this ) it just seems that our way of life is so desireable that people should speak out in their own country to make a difference . If you don't like the idea that's fine with me , I couldn't give a rats A$$ .

outbutnotdown--- You are not a dr. so please don't try and diagnose things you haven't the foggiest idea what you are doing . It would be better for you canadians to accept the fact that us in the united states are not going to give up our guns because you appear to be paranoid delusional and you have no solutions that warrant any merit here in the US . I suggest you stay in canada with your crack addicts and no gun .

xena --- from that list it looks like belgium is making ground in the direction of comunism . A disgusting display of a tyranical government that does not deserve US or UN support .

• franklin J
    franklin J

religious freedom means FREEDOM TO PRACTICE ANY RELIGION YOU WANT

I do not agree with ANY of the JW teachings----but I will defend anyones right to practice them.

• Pole
    Pole

Heathen,

Pole--- Why do you think so many people are trying to get citizenship in the US ? It's because they heard about the freedoms we have and want to be part of it . So why not just have other governments use the same constitution and grant people the freedoms they are willing to risk their life to get by coming here? Nobody is saying to force anyone to do anything (even tho the US does do this ) it just seems that our way of life is so desireable that people should speak out in their own country to make a difference . If you don't like the idea that's fine with me , I couldn't give a rats A$$ .

Come on buddy, let's drop it. You have no idea of what life in Poland or Europe is like, and still you want to impose the American way of 280m Americans on the 500m Europeans. . "Poles go to the US because they've heard about the US freedom and they want to be part of it"?

OMG! I'm speechless. What kind of freedom do you have that we don't? Hello. Poland has been a totally free democracy since 1989. You must have heard of that, haven't you? The reason why Poles go to live in the US is $$$$.

Do you honestly think that France, Germany, Great Britain, Italy, Spain (and Poland) should give up their Constitutions/Common Laws and adopt the American one?

Xenophobia has it's roots in utter ignorance...

• heathen
    heathen

I can't stand any religion but still believe you have the right to peaceful assembly and speech . Belgium is making it illegal for parents to discuss religion with their children because some silly house wife doesn't like a certain religion . It's wrong and sadly I have to agree with president Bush on this one because he is a blithering idiot .

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief
    You're an interesting character. You take things completely out of context, or else just don't read the whole story, or something. You quote, that I said God gave us freedom of religion when in fact I was just repeating your thoughts. Don't group me in with yours, please

No, I would not let you in such lofty company. I did not mean to be taking your thoughts out of context - I was repeating the statement that had triggered your comment and was defending it. I apologize if you feel contaminated by my post.

Now, what I said was this: GOD gave us freedom of religion. When I say GOD I mean whatever force created us. It is reality, if you will. The way the world works. Everyone has freedom of religion. All the time, anywhere. All you can do is try to stop them, but brute legislation doesn't work. It never has. Revolutions start with suppression.

The FACT is that EVERYONE could choose to be a dub if they wanted. And the more laws you pass to prevent it, the less likely the law is to be obeyed. Just because the government opposes your action, doesn't compel you to obey it: YOU CAN BREAK THE LAW ANYTIME YOU FEEL LIKE IT! I could kill my neighbor, if I wanted. I wouldn't, but there is no force on Earth that could stop me. They could catch me after the fact, probably, but that won't make it any better for my neighbor. Nope, only GOD can stop me.

So banning JW's will have no practical effect on the religion. None. Not one whit. There were more dubs AFTER ww2 in Germany than before it! In fact, by opposing them, you give them a legitimacy, a cause, and a sympathetic ear from a public that doesn't know diddly about their beliefs but knows that banning a religion is wrong.

So, pass a law that hold dubs accountable for not seeking proper medical treatment - I'll agree on that. But you can't ban the dubs. It won't work!

And the half-life you cite is the strongest weapon against them. Let them become members in society, and constantly rub it in their face that they are missing out on life. If they wake up, great. If not, well, they are happy that way. let'em hit the Bible bong if that's what they want.

CZAR

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit