Other Religions

by rain 32 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry

So in your interaction you have found most people in churches to be non tolerant of viewpoints other than their own? All individual thinking stifled? Granted their are extreamists in religions just as in any area of life, do you find them to be the majority in your experience?

_______________________________________________________________________________

No, lovely people are everywhere in every walk of life.

Tolerence is better in non JW churches as a rule.

Only in the extreme wing of belief is intolerance found.

My attendance at the aforementioned religious organizations was what I meant. I did go out of curiousity.

I find ritual stifling and a waste of time. That's just me.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Terry:

I didn't hear you offer an apologia for religion; just a claim of unfairness for singling religion out. But, does that mean nobody can criticise something destructive unless the list includes ALL things destructive?

It would be right up there with derailing a thread that was begun byb asking:

Therefore, has anyone after leaving the JWs joined another religion? If so why?

...by coming out with an essay full of the well worn cliches about all "religion being a snare and a racket"

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz
    coming out with an essay

That's the only way some people know how to post ..

• Xena
    Xena
    Show me a religious person in good standing with their local congregation who is free to disagree by thinking individual thoughts? Priests are defrocked, JW's are disfellowshipped, Pastors are split off into sects for thinking individually. They have an evil badge to pin on a thinking person: APOSTATE!

If Religion is really warm and fuzzy with butterflies and sunshine and rainbows, why is there so much simmering anger ready to be unleashed on those who disagree? Gays are shunned, alternate lifestyles are condemned, abortion doctors are murdered, wars are launched all in the name of God and Good.

I'd really love to hear you tell me what it is that Religion offers that isn't make-believe and fear-inducing

No, lovely people are everywhere in every walk of life.

Tolerence is better in non JW churches as a rule.

Only in the extreme wing of belief is intolerance found.

My attendance at the aforementioned religious organizations was what I meant. I did go out of curiousity.

I find ritual stifling and a waste of time. That's just me.

So is religion filled with angry war mongering, gay bashing, abortion doctor murdering people or lovely people? Or a bit of both? Is there tolerance in some religion or is it all full of fear-inducing doctrine? Again I imagine a bit of both.

Personally I think your last post illustrates better what religion is about....and I appreciate your honestly in why you attended and what your perspective was.

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Cicatrix, you took the words right out of my mouth. I have had exactly the same experience at the UU here in my area. I was just thinking yesterday how different it is from any other church I have ever been in (all christian). All I heard from those visits was about how sinful I was and how I needed redemption to be saved. I don't buy that or believe that. Also the energy in those other churches was overwhelmingly draining. How different it is to go to a place that lets you be yourself and celebrates who you are, that encourages you to explore your path, who aren't about conformity and dogma, and who radiate positive energy. I have only gone three times so far but I will absolutely be back.

Now, have I "joined" no. And I probably won't. Because I reserve the right to just leave if I don't get my spirtual communal needs met there.

Sherry

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

What I have seen in other religions is same garabage, different pile but if one chooses to believe in fairy tales, thats up to them. Just don't force it on me. One can be spiritual without belonging to a religion.

Will

• Terry
    Terry

Yes, Brenda--I like what you've said. Being nice to people costs nothing and can mean a lot to them. Just letting somebody feel good is so easy and yet, why do we hold back sometimes?

Discovering life outside of our own widdle head is an amazing trip.

I love finding something about a stranger to compliment. They brighten up like a 200 watt bulb.

We are all so temporary and so needy.....it costs so little to extend kindness. Why do we hoard it?

• Terry
    Terry

Terry:

I didn't hear you offer an apologia for religion; just a claim of unfairness for singling religion out. But, does that mean nobody can criticise something destructive unless the list includes ALL things destructive?

It would be right up there with derailing a thread that was begun byb asking:

Therefore, has anyone after leaving the JWs joined another religion? If so why?

...by coming out with an essay full of the well worn cliches about all "religion being a snare and a racket"

))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Why Littletoe, I didn't think you had a cross bone in your body!

• Terry
    Terry

Simply put: Religion is horrible!

People are beautiful.

Religion takes the beauty out of people.

• Carmel
    Carmel

I accept Terry's analogy of his marriage to a soul mate equated to his relationship to the JWs. It is fitting like most early marriages in our society are based on limited values, primarily material ones. Beauty, fun-to-be-with, popular, wealthy..etc. The Witlesses offer up the same thing, a material snack devoid of quality nutrition... When the snack runs out, the blood sugar plummets, the depression sets in and dissillusionment results. Same with religion. You were promised a material reward, reinforced by peer pressure, fear and guilt and had all your emotional buttons pushed. When you finally overloaded, crashed and burned, you are convinced no other religion could ever fill the void or "all religion is a crutch" which you incessantly shout at every chance.

Why not take a deep breath, give life some time to deal with the issues and feelings of being betrayed, consider that both science and religion are evolving and are "moving targets". Not until the subject has been desensitized, can you look with any level of objectivity. Two emotions will derail you from evaluating anything, love and hate. If your cup is filled with hate for what "religion" (only one likely) had done to you, you will not be able to "see with your own eyes, or hear with your own ears", so to speak. If you are so captured with vain imaginings that your love of your self and your ideas will not allow a new paradigm or a new way of seeing an issue, again you cannot judge it with objectivity. I urge any exjw to wait three, five or more years before setting about "finding a replacement" religion. Then decide upon a set of criteria that you will use to judge it/them. You will have had some time to decide if the criteria is based on limited values or ones that are more enduring. For instance, do you want to belong to an "exclusive club" thinking you are part of a limited select group that has "thee truth" or do you want to be part of humanity and be "inclusive" welcoming all within the "tent of salvation". There are degrees to this, but you will have to come to terms with what level of discomfort you are willing to endure. Are YOU willing to change for the better or do you want a set of beliefs that does not challange you or ask you to do or become anything other than what you already are?

Nuf rambling..

carmel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit