Ex-JW to speak at Atheist meeting

by joe7878 21 Replies latest jw friends

• freedom96
    freedom96

I have to double check with Diane, but I believe this speach is being televised by a local tv station as well.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I regret that I won't be in town to see this. Otherwise I would really like to go.

• joe7878
    joe7878

Yes, Diane's presentation will be videorecorded and edited for the Morgan Hill (CA) community channel. One of the members of Atheists of Silicon Valley works for the community channel and has a side business of recording events, weddings, etc. His business is named "Friendly Neighborhood Atheist Productions."

Joe

• joe7878
    joe7878

Logan... I've been to Humanist meetings and conventions, also. You are right... they seem a bit low key. I much prefer the spunkiness of Atheists. Our ASV group is also much younger (average age wise) than the nearby Humanist community. And, I must say, not offensive to the nose.

Joe

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I went to a humanist group once to see Michael Shermer talk. He's an interesting guy, I liked meeting him. But I agree, everyone else was pretty bor-ring. But the Cheetos were good!

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

I'm curious, what do they talk about at atheist meetings? I mean as you can imagine one thinks of atheism as the lack of a belief in God rather than some thing in itself, so it would appear that it is made into something instead.

Obviously if they let an ex-JW Christian speak they are pretty open, but then is it like a free for all or what..? As someone who is no longer interested in the JW past I would just stop by if I happend to be in the area, but you might say the people that should hear it are active JWs (as opposed to people who are already out) - but it'd probably be kind of tough to get them to an atheist meeting.. In a way it would be like preaching to or with the choir, so to speak.

• Norm
    Norm

It is somewhat amusing to see the various speculations about atheists. Being one myself I guess we are the usual cross section of mankind. The only thing we have in common is that we are far more skeptical about certain things then the average religious person. You don?t have to look any further then to yourselves to find out what atheists are like.

If we define atheism as a lack of faith in a God, all you of should also realize that you are all atheists. Yes, all of you! Those of you that claim to be Christians are also devoted atheists. You do not believe in Allah, Thor, Zeus, Baal, etc. You of course all know why you don?t believe in those God?s. The reason you don?t believe in them is more or less the same I don?t believe in your God. I am a 100% atheist I dismiss all gods. You are 99% atheists, as you only believe in one god. But the fact remains, we are all atheists.

Norm

• joe7878
    joe7878

Mark,

Atheist groups exist (unlike some other things) for several reasons. We find camaraderie in meeting and sharing ideas with like minded folk. We strive to keep the ideal of the separation of church and state strong. We attempt to educate the public about Atheism. Thus, we discuss the state of America today in those respects. Our group has protested the Promise Keepers, who use military-like language to pretend to be at war against "infidels". We protest at the annual National Day of Prayer event here in San Jose. We write letters to the editor when an Atheist view needs to be presented.

Our main beef is the trend begun by the religious right to "take back our country for God". We're all for the freedom of religion clause and that means that freedom from religion should be protected as well.

Plus we get to share our favorite religion jokes. : )

Yes, we love hearing other points of view. Atheists generally love having a plethora of facts on the table and then using reason to find that grain nearest the truth. And no, when Diane speaks there will be no free for all. We'll treat our guest with respect and kindness. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you (now that is a humanistic ideal!)

Check out our website (in my initial posting) to see what Atheists of Silicon Valley's been up to.

Joe

• Norm
    Norm

Hey Joe,

Hmm, that's a song isn't it? Well anyway, I had a look at the A website you pointed to and some other ones in the US
    Boy do you have a long way to go over there. Do you think it would be possible for a known atheist to become president in the US?
    Or be elected to some kind of other public office? I mean everyone of them are ordering God to bless America all the time.

Curious,

Norm

• joe7878
    joe7878

Norm,

Yes, Atheists have a long way to go to become accepted as equal patriotic Americans by our own countrymen.There are still laws on the books of more than a handful of states (mostly in the Bible Belt) that forbid Atheists from running for office and serving on juries. But we are not just going to lay down and let the US become a theocratic nation. Let the religious right remove a brick and they'll try to tear down the whole wall separating church and state. Add to the mix way too many chicken**** politicians afraid to stand up for the First Amendment (all in the name of votes) and you have the current climate of incursions against the Constitution, ie. 10 commandments in city halls and public schools, sectarian prayers opening council meetings, creationism in text books, etc.

Just as some day there will be gay marriage, there will some day be an Atheist president. It is progressive thoughts and ideas that lead America and the world to its brightest days... quite unlike the 'dark ages' of theocracy, ie. the Taliban-led Afghanistan, the many religious wars going on presently, and, in the past, the Crusades and the Dark Ages itself.

Joe

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit