The JWs might be right....for all the wrong reasons

by logansrun 53 Replies latest jw friends

• logansrun
    logansrun

People have been predicting the end of the world for thousands of years. Sooner or later one of them is going to be right.

Fear mongering. As former Jehovah?s Witnesses we know all about it. I?d like to say we are experts in the methods of how to scare the crap out of someone, since most of us were fed a constant message which scared the crap out of us. Armageddon, poverty, sin, AIDS, rampant crime, the elders, earthquakes, the Great Tribulation ? I don?t need to remind you of what Watchtowerworld is all about. ?We are living in the worst of times!? is a concept that lies at the very center of the Witness Weltanschauung. But at least the ?best of times? are to follow?after Jehovah obliterates 99.9 % of all humanity in what I like to call a ?Global 9-11.? How encouraging!

Of course, the Watchtower is guilty of a lot of fallacious reasoning when it comes to it?s appraisal of our ?end times.? Some things are worse, but some things are surely better. Life-expectancy is up dramatically, infant mortality is down, prejudice ? once something that was rampant in every culture ? is diminishing in the more enlightened ones. A lot of things are better than ever. Would you rather have lived in the middle-ages? I think not.

And yet, the Watchtower is right when it comes to some things, a fact that many former Witnesses find hard to swallow. Even if the day-to-day lives of people are better, in the Western world at least, we still are living in extraordinarily uncertain times ? I dare say the riskiest times in all of human history. It's not due to Satan being thrown to the earth or any other type of millenial gobbledy-gook. It's just time and human nature.

The Cold War, with it?s principle of Mutually Assured Destruction to deter the Superpowers from certain annihilation, was comfortable compared to the menacing threat of a terrorist cell detonating a suitcase nuke in downtown Manhattan. (Even if the world wouldn?t end, can you imagine what life would be like with a giant hole on the east coast?) The threat, once clustered in a manageable way (the USSR), is now spread out among psychotic terrorists who don?t care if they live or die. Uncertainty.

And then there?s the economy, stupid?or the stupid economy. My generation is paying into a social security plan that probably won?t be there when we need it. The gap between rich and poor is rising steadily. Technology, for all its benefits, is raising the cost of health-care to unimaginable levels. The average time spent at one job is down to less than five years. Faster, faster, faster! The rate of change in the global market is practically out of control. For all it?s benefits in lower product prices and electronic gadgetry to ?Wow!? us, no one seems to really like where our market is going. Uncertainty.

Does anyone really notice? Most don?t. People, especially the younger generation, are too busy with a) finding a job; b) working overtime at their job; c) who the Next Big Star will be on T.V.; or d) quick religion which offers chimerical ?answers.? If you are really in tune with the world and it?s problems, and not into some silly cult, you probably feel a sense of alienation and powerlessness. I do.

Sometimes I just sit back and think to myself, ?Fuck it. So what if the world is going to hell and the extinction of our race is just around the corner, enjoy what you have now and find humor in the madness going on around you.?

Pessimism? Realism.

B.

• dorothy
    dorothy

Agreed! We can't do a damn thing about most of the shit going on in the world, so we may as well enjoy what we've got. If God loves us he's not going to fault us for something we have absolutley no control over. If the Devil is running the world... well you wouldn't send your kids off to be raised by drug dealers and expect them to grow up to be little angels.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

There is no doubt that we are living in unusual times - both positively and negatively. We live longer and can expect to survive illnesses that our ancestors had not even isolated. The average person can affort central heating, air conditioning, indoor plumbing, fresh fruit in the winter, and we can travel accross the globe in hours - things that the King of England didn't have in times past. We have knowledge that our ancestors never dreamed of.

On the other hand, we also have the knowledge to create weapons of unimaginable strength.

Heady times, indeed. But, I can't think of any better time to be alive.

Catastrophes can happen. The dinosaurs were quite likely made extinct by a catastrophe. Eventually, if nothing happens sooner, our sun will burn out. Let's get everything we can get out of what we've got, which is an awful lot.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Wash your mouth out with soap, young man!
    LOL

Nawww, they're still wrong.

Repeating a common mantra doesn't make them significant.

• logansrun
    logansrun
    But, I can't think of any better time to be alive.

How about the 1950's?

To be fair, I think one of the reasons why it's so easy to get down on the world today -- and it's dismal prospects -- is because our lives have improved so dramatically. We expect more because we've had more. Nothing fails like success. And the problems we experience seem so damn pointless because they're so preventable. I'd feel better about a comet obliterating the earth than I would nuclear war.

B.

• Satanus
    Satanus
    Sometimes I just sit back and think to myself, ?Fuck it. So what if the world is going to hell and the extinction of our race is just around the corner, enjoy what you have now and find humor in the madness going on around you.?

That may be the best attitude, because people really are powerless to change the course of the world. Elections are just a circus merrygoround to put on a show and give a feeling of democracy to it's riders.

The big powers that direct the world are so powerful and using very refined techniques to herd the hapless people. Check out the unprecedented growth of nato right across europe, at the front door of russia. Nato has taken many of the x-ussr republics, and continues to expand there and also in asia.

Events that cause uncertainty, generating fear, are practically following like a blueprint things written by guys like zignew brezineski. Police state at home, but globalisation abroad. Check out his books. He is one of the modern 'prophets'.

S

• franklin J
    franklin J

Bradley,

read " the rise and fall of the Roman Empire" by Gibbons

It is many volumes but the information and parrallels to our time are amazing.

It is almost like all empires and civilizations go through cycles ( like everything else in existance)

JWs right? the world coming to an end? chuckle, chuckle, NAH !

Frank

• RunningMan
    RunningMan
    How about the 1950's?

The fifties were cool, but there are a few things I like better about today.

For example, I just came back from Toronto last night - 1250 miles each way for an overnight trip - possible in the 50s, but not common. After I finish working and communicating with people instantly all over the world, I will go home and see if there is a football game on the big screen - somewhere in the 62 channels, there should be something on. Digital cameras, microwaves, better medical treatments, better understanding of the universe.

• logansrun
    logansrun

Please, don't anybody think my "JWs might be right" too seriously. I'm using that phrase for effect, more than anything.

b

• dorothy
    dorothy

I'd live in the 50's anytime! But only if I could be the mom in Leave It To Beaver. I wouldn't mind dusting all day and cooking for my husband if he came home every night.

Laa di da di da....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit