Murder is wrong because...

by logansrun 33 Replies latest jw friends

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

(abaddon's murder definition)

To murder: to end someone's life deliberately or in situations where no form of self defence is arguable, or to act with such incompetence or lack of concern for others they are killed (skimping on safety rules, driving whilst intoxicated, etc.).

... yeah it is just a question of human right ...

Also I would add :
    - It takes more balls to let your enemy alive (and it might change the story) ... thus, to murder is just a weakness, we have to learn to be stronger than that ... to murder = weakness.

- And for instance skimping on safety rules (=lazyness), or driving wilst intoxicated (=selfishness).

it's all related to our bad/wrong behaviours and mentality ... thus murder is wrong

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Murder is wrong because Frenchy won't respect me if I do it. ;)

• Satanus
    Satanus

Frenchy

It takes more balls to let your enemy alive

Yah, cuz then your enemy can murder you.

S

• Xena
    Xena

If you go off the premise that everyone is entitled to life then to take that from someone out of malice or reckless disregard would be wrong. In other words...pretty much what Abaddon said.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Well, let's look fully at the opposite premise:

If murder were right then we should all be doing it, which would soon decimate the human race.
    Now whilst that would probably be good for the planet, it wouldn't be very good for the deliberators of the discussion, hence proving inerently self-answerable with the next stage of the dilemma:. How can it be good if it's bad?

I'll leave Xena and SP to answer that one for you

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

To CZAR:

Thx for correcting my understanding of the causes behind the tragedy in Russia. I only had brief sound bites and news flashes on which to base my limited viewpoint. I am glad to know the authorities were negotiating and making efforts and I am sad it did not have time to work itself out.

Now, onto another matter. I don't know you from Adam. However, common respect and courtesy for a stranger are obviously not in your posession, or at least at that particular moment when you launched your tirade about my viewpoints in this forum. I find that unacceptable. Maybe I should familiarize you with my background.

I have spent 1 1/2 years in maximum security prison for ADW. I was a United States Marine for 5 and a half years and server honorably in Beirut, Grenada, Haiti, Panama and several other theatres. I was airborne, scuba, ranger and pathfinder while serving with a Force Recon unit. I have bare-knuckle brawled for food and for money. I was raised on the streets of Philadelphia.

I was a JW for many years. I also hold a Master's in CIS from Roger Williams University and hold other degrees as well. I have taught and I am currently an independent Senior level consultant, engineer and project manager for network infrastructure projects.

Now, does that sound like I am a care bear philospher without just cause? When was the last time someone struck you physically, or damaged your home, or injured one of your relatives, when were you last robbed, or spent any time in jail?

Basically, you sound like you have a big mouth. Be thankful the old me doesn't get riled up and finds a way to close yours for a change! And, if you have any doubts, check a few sources.

• TD
    TD

I think the common dictionary definition of "murder" works just fine. ---The unlawful killing of a human being by a human being.

Man is a social animal and human society originally consisted of family groups bound together largely by filial affection, which is normally instinctive.

As human society grew and evolved into clans and tribes and tribal alliances and ultimately into nations and national alliances, man has had to embrace an increasingly wide and diverse group as "family."

Since instinctive affection alone is hardly sufficient for this task, successful human societies have out of necessity adopted as a moral axiom, the innate value of human life. The entire concept and definition of murder revolves around this principle.

The short answer therefore is, Murder is wrong because the victim has the right to life

None of the exceptions (e.g. Capital punishment, Various forms of justifiable homicide) violate this answer because they all involve situations where a perpetrator has voluntarily given up that right to life in some way, usually by engaging or attempting to engage in a murderous act.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Focussing on the 'unlawful' part simplifies the whole thing. All that is required is a law to kill certain people, in certain ways, for doing certain things. Wars are the same: one country passes a law, or makes a legal declaration tthat the people/govt/whatever of another country should be killed, and presto, it's not muder.

S

• bull01lay
    bull01lay

Kill a man, and they call you a murderer... Kill a million, and they call you a conqueror - Go figure!

Bull! .... of the 'inane quote a day' society

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief
    Now, onto another matter. I don't know you from Adam. However, common respect and courtesy for a stranger are obviously not in your posession, or at least at that particular moment when you launched your tirade about my viewpoints in this forum. I find that unacceptable. Maybe I should familiarize you with my background.

That would help, no doubt. I do try to show respect as best I can. I did go through my writing and removed a great deal of even more tactless statements before I posted. Believe it or not, that was the softer edged version. I was very angry - the whole affair in the school was distressing beyond belief. It seems every time that we think that the world has sunk to its absolute lowest it finds a new horror to unleash. But if I offended you personally (as opposed to attacking your ideology using humor, sarcasm, etc.) then I certainly apologize. Please be sure you aren't taking it personally when no personal attack was intended.

Ihave spent 1 1/2 years in maximum security prison for ADW. I was a United States Marine for 5 and a half years and server honorably in Beirut, Grenada, Haiti, Panama and several other theatres. I was airborne, scuba, ranger and pathfinder while serving with a Force Recon unit.

Thank you. The U.S. Military will always have honor in my house.

I have bare-knuckle brawled for food and for money. I was raised on the streets of Philadelphia.
    How does that work, exactly?
    I was a JW for many years. I also hold a Master's in CIS from Roger Williams University and hold other degrees as well. I have taught and I am currently an independent Senior level consultant, engineer and project manager for network infrastructure projects.

You've done well for yourself. Congratulations. You are a testament to the possibilities inherent in this country.

Now, does that sound like I am a care bear philospher without just cause? When was the last time someone struck you physically, or damaged your home, or injured one of your relatives, when were you last robbed, or spent any time in jail?

Haven't been hit in a while, not since I got into that fight with the high / drunk dude who was trying to rape me in the Taco Bell bathroom. Let me see, that must have been about, oh, almost a year ago.

Damaged my home? let me think... there was that time they burned my Irish flag on my porch? Does that count? They ripped my wife's stereo, they've slashed my tires (by "they" I mean whatever Urban trash are polluting my fair city) and one of "them" broke into my neighbor's apartment and held her at knifepoint, screaming racially based violent threats. Who knew the blacks hated the Asians so much? I don't have many relatives, but my schizophrenic brother did get into trouble with a hood-based loan shark for a while there. Oh yeah, the last time I was robbed. Was about two years ago. At knifepoint. On a crowded city bus. With lots of people watching, bored or amused. By a black man, twitching with drug consumption. Everyone watching was black. I was the only white boy there. I guess I was getting what I deserved, huh?

Sure, my life hasn't been Boyz 'n the Hood, but it's had its moments. Haven't been to jail yet, but I'm sure I will someday. Or maybe I'm smart enough not to get caught. Or to break the law.

Thinking it over carefully, I realize that I had a mental picture of you that was wrong - and I was posting to that picture. I have seen many people with unrealistic expectations denounce people who are genuinely doing their best as hopelessly corrupt. You probably have, too. I was basing your image on a combination of your screen name, your avatar, and the mental picture of this one twerp I used to know.

However, the manly restraint shown in your response tells me that you are more than I expected. Again, I apologize if I crossed the line between humor and ad hominem.

CZAR

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit