How many on this board vote?

by Netty 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Epsilon
    Epsilon

I'd try it, but I'm too scared of getting roped for jury duty. Doesn't that happen when you register?

• Stefanie
    Stefanie

Thanks blondie, i hadnt thought about that. I have never voted for anything before.

Thanks

• blondie
    blondie

Epsilon, many if not most states use their drivers records to pick jurors from. So I guess you have to cancel your drivers license.

Blondie

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    I'd try it, but I'm too scared of getting roped for jury duty. Doesn't that happen when you register?

Yeah, what Blondie said. I got roped for jury duty several times before I was ever registered to vote. Haven't gotten tagged in the three years I've lived in NJ, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time (however, I am registered here). Besides, what's to be scared of? Depends on what state you are in, but in Massachusetts where I used to be, you'd get a paid day off from work, and you'd go sit in the jury pool room and read a book until 1:00 or 2:00 when they decided they didn't need you and sent you home. Besides, you'd get to watch all the JW's try to argue with the judge to get out of serving. If you were one of the 10% who actually got put onto a jury, it was pretty interesting. It happened to me once, I was on a murder trial for 5 days - we acquited the guy. Even though he was without question a thug, the prosecution did not adequately prove that he was at the scene of the crime. There was no debate over whether he pulled the trigger - he didn't, and all parties agreed to that - but had he been with the group at the scene he would have been guilty of the murder under Mass. law. We did convict him of a minor weapons charge, though.

• Larry
    Larry

Registered Independent - Voted ever since leaving the BORG in '98.

Voting does help the community - The community that doesn't vote is the community that gets less services.

Someone has to occupy that political seat, and for the most part you have a say as to who gets it.

I ran into an ex-jdub on the train the other day, and he told me that all the while he was a Jdub he voted. He is from Nigeria, and he cherishes his opportunity to vote.

Apathy towards voting = 4 more years for Bush. Not that I'm a Kerry fan, but I want to war to stop. However, whether Bush or Kerry wins the war will continue :-(

Cheney's recent comments were tacky "It's absolutely essential that eight weeks from today, on Nov. 2, we make the right choice, because if we make the wrong choice then the danger is that we'll get hit again and we'll be hit in a way that will be devastating from the standpoint of the United States."

Nader is the only candidate that is really speaking towards the issues, but I can't afford to vote for him, b/c I want Bush out -Which is not really saying much for democracy.

Interesting thing about voting is that when I was a Jdub I didn't vote and hated politics due to ignorance and mind control. Now that I'm out of the BORG and see how politics really works, I hate it even more. But the difference is I see the importance of voting.

Voting does make a difference. Don't forget about the primaries, next Tuesday - Sept. 14. Local elections are just as important.

Peace - Larry :)

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    I dont plan on giving my vote to someone that i dont believe is right for the job, and to me both candidates are unstable.

Who was it that said, "Don't vote for 'em, it only encourages them ! "

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Yup, though there's not much picking, with the candidates.

• nb-dfed
    nb-dfed

I voted for the first time last year. I am very concerned about what's going on in our country and feel it's important to vote. It did feel weird at first though.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

My first election since getting out was in June. I not only voted but assisted in a candidates unfortunately unsucsessful run. I am helping 2 friends in their bid for a municipal seat in our fall elections as well.

• boa
    boa

Haven't yet, but hey! I'm just a noob xdub since last feb!

Gonna go for it in 4 yrs when the next one comes round...federally, though there is a provincial one me thinks next year...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit