JWs Live In Their Own Little World

by minimus 36 Replies latest jw friends

• kls
    kls

CodeBlue I try to live my life helping my sick neighbors by cleaning their house. I gots a runny nose, does that count.

• codeblue
    codeblue

Kls........sorry about your "nose"...I'll be sure to cath the next "red eye" to clean your house!!! lol

• minimus
    minimus

When a JW reads a newspaper, he sees it as a fulfillment of Bible prophecy.

• Netty
    Netty

And gets Excited about it. "Oh look, people dying awful things happening, YAY!"

• minimus
    minimus

It's sad when you hear of people that get happily excited over death.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Their view of science is all out of whack. They don't know what to believe from those arrogant, self-righteous scientists and what they must reject. For many I've known, it's not worth the effort -- they just ignore anything that isn't printed in an Awake. One witness actually asked me, "Do you believe dinosaurs existed?" Believe? Well, there are all these bones and stuff, I mean, it seems *awfully likely* that they existed, but let me check the Index...

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

And that is exactly what the WTS wants. people isolated in their own little world, fearful of not measuring up when the end comes, not accepting anything unless they read it or hear it from "the brothers".

They are convinced

• that shunning is an act of love
    • that only they have the whole truth (at least until "new light" changes it)
    • that they have a mission from God that preaching is the only acceptable "works" to God
    • that two opposing beliefs can co-exist and both be true
    • that they alone are persecuted for their faith
    • and on and on

They want to believe what they are told and are afraid to believe their own thoughts, feelings and experiences

Sad. Very sad. And yet that is what we once were.

• dmouse
    dmouse

I think the epitome of this statement is the way they think the world is against them. The governments and especially the media are all controlled by Satan and everything in the world is designed to thwart Jehovah's Witnesses in this 'time of the end'.

In reality, nobody (except those hurt by them) gives a monkey's chuff about this weird little cult.

Let's face it, Jehovah's Witnesses are a paranoid little religion with delusions of grandeur

• minimus
    minimus

Yeah, but knowing you ALONE have the truth is C O O L.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

I used to run a website about an end-times prophecy teacher named Barry Smith (since deceased). I was inspired by a post here on JWD (100 reasons you might be a JW) to write something entitled 20 Reasons You May Be A Barry Smith Follower. Some of the points raised here reminded me of it, in places:

9. If you think that reading newspaper clippings sent to you from all over the world is studying Bible prophecy, you may be a Barry Smith follower.

It's sad when you hear of people that get happily excited over death.

12. If you think it is fair for a man to condemn the watching of television as spiritually unedifying, while at another time he was watching CNN and ranting from the Bible excitedly as thousands of people died horrifically in New York, you may be a Barry Smith follower.

Their view of science is all out of whack.

(Not science, as such, but the principle illustrated here is the same):

15. If you think that a man who refers to the Euro as the Eurodollar is an expert on world events, you may be a follower of Barry Smith's.

that only they have the whole truth (at least until "new light" changes it)
    18. If you claim that the Mark of the Beast is a microchip, whereas you were claiming it was a barcode 20 years ago, but you say you were right about it all the time, you may be a Barry Smith follower.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit