Ozzie's 110th Weekend Poll

by ozziepost 13 Replies latest jw friends

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day all,

How's things for you this weekend? There's been plenty of tragedy this past week that even from downunder looks pretty awful!

Good news there has been though with the return of Englishman. May our dear Dansk likewise have a successful outcome to his travail !

We've had an abundance of threads this week that have caused us to really look at what we believe and we've gotten down to tin tacks with the machinations of the Borg. So what shall we reminisce about this weekend? Try this one:

What did your good standing depend on?

1. Being baptised.

2. Getting your report in.

3. Commenting at meetings.

4. Getting to the meetings early.

5. Carrying an elder-style book bag.

6. Inviting the C.O. for a meal.

7. Keeping on-side with the elders.

8. Always volunteering.

9. Never volunteering!

10. Marrying an elder's son/daughter.

11. Marrying into a "good" family.

12. Having a "bible study".

13. Singing the Kingdom Songs the loudest at the meetings..

14. Just singing the Kingdom Songs at the meetings !

15. Being able to explain the "Gentile Times" ending in 1914.

16. Wearing the right clothes.

17. Not going to the football.

18. Never contradicting the elders.

19. Keeping away from the back row!

20. Making sure the kids didn't move or speak in the meetings.

21. Tell everyone you were really looking forward to the CO visit/circuit assembly etc

22. Find all the "new points" in the latest magazine.

23. All of the above.

24. None of the above.

25. Other (please detail)

So, what do you think? Let us know - so settle back with a nice beverage and share your thoughts.

Enjoy.

Cheers, Ozzie

Freedom means not having to wear a tie.

• Englishman
    Englishman

25. Other.

I loathed meetings, ministry work and conducting Bible studies. However, I was gifted in the art of public speaking and could give a public talk that would have 'em eating out of my hand at the incredible wisdom spewing out of my teenaged mouth.

It also impressed the JW fathers of all those pretty young sisters....fine young brother there, Miriam!

Heh heh heh.

Englishman.

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

I tried to be such a good dubie. I was a true believer through and through.

You don't know what freedom is until you realize you didn't have any.

Joy

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    2. Getting your report in.

Never mind if you were a mean spirited b@***** , provided that you could put the neat little figures on the neat little forms, then you were ok.

Also, it helped if you were always around, at the meetings and always willing to do any little jobs around the hall. Invite the visiting speaker back for 'hospitality' or the C/O to lunch, or have him stay with you

If you got to be an elder and really wanted to well in , have an elders meeting at your home..NB requires a wife who is willing to sit for up to 4 or 5 hours in the kitchen and not make a noise, also with memtal "earplugs" so as not to hear what was said - but to arrive on cue with teacups and a theocratic smile...

• blondie
    blondie

1. Being baptised. (the longer the better)

2. Getting your report in. (before the 6th and without being called by the secretary)

3. Commenting at meetings. (twice is better, answering when no one else has their hand up makes you popular with the conductor)

4. Getting to the meetings early. (until you are an elder than you can be fashionably late, the MS will take care of things)

5. Carrying an elder-style book bag. (not for sisters)

6. Inviting the C.O. for a meal. (especially if you take off work during the week to do it)

7. Keeping on-side with the elders. (unless you know their little secrets)

8. Always volunteering. (until you became an elder unless you want parts on the conventions/assemblies)

9. Never volunteering!

10. Marrying an elder's son/daughter. (only if you weren't already an elder's son/daughter)

11. Marrying into a "good" family.

12. Having a "bible study".

13. Singing the Kingdom Songs the loudest at the meetings.. (only if you had a good voice; but mostly you must sing no louder than the group; can't be standing out in the crowd)

14. Just singing the Kingdom Songs at the meetings ! (just mouth the words, no one notices)

15. Being able to explain the "Gentile Times" ending in 1914. (but you don't have to believe, just don't tell anybody that)

16. Wearing the right clothes. (appearances are important in the WTS)

17. Not going to the football. (just don't tell anybody and arrange to go to the meetings on another night at another congregation; just don't tell anybody)

18. Never contradicting the elders. (unless you are Blondie and know how to submissively ask the right questions and lead them down the path to the precipice)

19. Keeping away from the back row! (unless you have little kids the far left middle is best, most conductors never look there)

20. Making sure the kids didn't move or speak in the meetings. (unless it was to give a comment, "Jehovah" "Jesus")

21. Tell everyone you were really looking forward to the CO visit/circuit assembly etc

22. Find all the "new points" in the latest magazine (be careful you can make the elders look bad).

23. All of the above.

24. None of the above.

25. Other (please detail)

Keeping the elders up to date on the spiritual standing of others.

Blondie

• Mulan
    Mulan

Man, I think I would have to say #23 too. But this one got me laughing.

15. Being able to explain the "Gentile Times" ending in 1914.

• Xena
    Xena

Being baptised...regular in meeting and service...if you were a man either being an elder or MS or currently "reaching out"...if you were a woman being a pioneer and married to one of the aforementioned men....having your study articles underlined and making "deep" comments...being part of the "inner circle" at the KH.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

# 23. All of the above.

The one thing my mom told me, and it grates on me today, is "..everything you do and say reflects directly on your father." My dad was PO. That is a tough weight to bear as a 14 year old. She didn't need to say it because I was a good kid.

Because I was a good kid and wanted to please, I did my best to conform, even when my "evil thoughts" occasionally interfered.... like "why is that wonderful woman, who happens to be S. Baptist, who takes in all those unfortunate and unloved neighborhood kids and treats them like her own, condemned to hell?"

The biggest mistake I made was the family I married into. I wish my parents had done a little research. Once I married, I was essentially shunned by his congregation, by people I had known all my life, who had respected and been friends of my parents! I found them to he hypocrical arses. Unfortunately, I conceed they did have a point: My husband developed alcoholism and was taught well how to be a wife abuser by his father. My Karma to transcend this life.

Hugs to all

Bren

PS On the kingdumb songs part. Being in a predominently black congregation we SANG OUT! many times when the cong. could arrange own agenda, we'd have 15min to 30min of just singing. It was wonderful inspite of the songs. When I move to an almost all white cong. first I wondered where everyone was, and realized that the hall was mostly full (no beautiful black faces), and NO ONE sang. I missed that.

• Mulan
    Mulan
    NO ONE sang. I missed that.

My mother mentioned that when she moved to our congregation from a predominantly black one. She said NO ONE SANG. At least they sang so low you could barely hear. I always thought it was because they played the music so softly and no one wanted to be heard above the music.

• Glenmore
    Glenmore

Eeeeeew, what I suck-up I was

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit