Gawd I hate them...

by Princess 41 Replies latest jw friends

• Princess
    Princess

The church behind our house of course. At 3:30am I wake suddenly to a strange humming sound that gets louder and louder until its a low roar. I got up and looked out the window to see a street cleaner cleaning the parking lot at the church. I lay there hoping it goes away...

At 4am I got up and called the police. I was informed they probably had a permit for it but they'd send an officer out to check.

It finally finished at 5:30am. My kids woke me up at 7am.

I am so gawd damn mad at the church this morning.

I am going to call them later after I calm down. I think the extreme sarcasm or uncontrolled anger wouldn't be very helpful in resolving the situation. I probably won't be able to help but thank them for the lovely 3:30am wake up call though.

What should I do? I think I'm screwed on this one as they have a permit. I am going to gather the neighbors for support.

Anyone watch Six Feet Under? I was thinking of sending them a nice package.

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

The church parking lot is, no doubt, empty most of the week when they are not having services. Why in the world are they compelled to clean the thing at dark thirty in the morning, and in the process, wake up all of their neighbors ?? Perhaps you can use this as a talking point when the s**t hits the fan. Bug

• blondie
    blondie

I would say talk to the neighbors and see if you can approach the church and see if their is a better time to do it.

Blondie

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

Rachel- Wow, I'd be pissed off too.

Do they have some sort of noise ordinance where you are? I think here they have something stated that says you can't be up at any hour mowing your lawn or cutting down trees with a chain saw or other excessive noise. And I think the time limit to "start" this kind of noise is 7 a.m. here.

They may have a permit but that permit may still not allow them to do this whenever they want. I'd check with your local municipality on their noise ordinances and whether those also extend to businesses such as street sweepers.

Maybe this will help this morning

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

You should probably complain to the town authorities. What the heck are they doing issuing permits for noisy work to be done in a residential area at 3:30 in the morning? Didn't this bother any of your neighbors? Maybe several such calls to the town would discourage them from issuing such permits in the future.

Complaining to the church isn't a bad idea, either. Go right to the pastor and ask him whether he believes in scriptures like:

Rom 13:10

Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

Rom 15:2 Each of us is to please his neighbor for his good, to his edification.

Mat 7:12 "In everything, therefore, treat people the same way you want them to treat you, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

Psa 15:1 A Psalm of David. O LORD, who may abide in Your tent? Who may dwell on Your holy hill? Psa 15:2 He who walks with integrity, and works righteousness, And speaks truth in his heart. Psa 15:3 He does not slander with his tongue, Nor does evil to his neighbor, Nor takes up a reproach against his friend;

• Mulan
    Mulan

Rachel..............I would be majorly pissed! I like the idea of writing up a letter, using scriptures to support your views.

But, I would probably call them and scream at them. And then regret it later. But you know me. Impulsive.

• Xena
    Xena

I'm with XW I can't imagine having a permit would give them permission to do this at that ungodly hour!

What is it with churches in residential areas? My parents had one build across the street from them ...they built the parking lot so when it rained it drained into my parent's front lawn, when my dad met to discuss it with the minister his basic reply was that he didn't care, he didn't live there. My parents finally ended up moving due to all the issues they had with that church. Sucks huh?

• little witch
    little witch

Hi Princess,

I would be upset too! You know, most "mainstream" churches use outside contractors for cleaning and yardwork, stuff like that. I would contact the pastor of the church and explain to him or her the situation. I am sure they will correct the matter. If not, then take it to a higher power. Most churches do not wish to annoy people, or make enemies. Try going to the church's leader first.

• CeriseRose
    CeriseRose

The KH I used to go to has a parking lot that borders on a condo complex. Several times a year an announcement was given from the platform stating that there had been complaints about the level of noise coming from us as we left the hall and got to our vehicles (and this was at 9:30 -10:00 pm).

It would work for awhile...and then we'd need reminding. (I can only imagine what a pain it would be for the neighbours, as there are 4 congs. meeting at that hall...so basically Friday night and Saturday night are the only days there isn't a full parking lot.)

I suggest that you find out the bylaws in your area (if there is a noise restriction) and then ask them nicely if they can make it at a decent hour. *hugs* Broken sleep is awful. I hope you get it resolved quick!

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

I'm sure that one of two things is happening. I don't think that the church is doing it to deliberately upset people.

Either

1) They are relying on a parishoner to contribute street cleaning services for the parking lot, and he did it before he started work that day.

2) They have a contract with a private cleaner and he either has a special permit to clean that early or he just started too early.

Either way the church is not directly responsible, but they could be a useful ally in correcting the situation. They aren't your enemy, although you are annoyed. You don't need to attack them. They could easily correct the situation by speaking to whoever is cleaning their lot.

CZAR

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit