What book are you reading now?

by ozziepost 36 Replies latest jw friends

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

From time to time we like to share some good reads with each other on JWD, and now might be a good time to share with you what I'm reading this week.

It's "THE GATE" by Francois Bizot which tells of his experiences as the only Western prisoner to survive the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia.

In 1971, on a routine outing through the Cambodian countryside, the young French ethnologist Francois Bizot is captured by the Khmer Rouge. Accused of being an agent of "American imperialism", he's imprisoned. His captor, Douch, later responsible for tens of thousands of deaths, interrogates him at length. After three months of interrogation he is freed.

Then four years later, the Khmer Rouge enter Phnom Penh, the capital, and Bizot stumbles into the unenviable position of official intermediary between the ruthless conqueror and the terrified refugees huddled behind the gate of the French Embassy. Forced to turn away asylum seekers, search for provisions and organise a convoy through hundreds of miles of scorched countryside, Bizot is the only barrier between a genocidal army and his caravan of desperate people.

Much of the 'action' takes place in an area that Mrs Ozzie and I know well and each scene seems to come against the backdrop of what we've personally experienced.

The book has a lengthy foreword by the eminent John le Carre who makes some comments which I found poignant from a Dub perspective. He calls Douch, for example, a "seeker after certainty" and this could well describe not just the dictatorial, authoritarian Khmer Rouge, but also the WTS. They too are seeking the certainty of ready answers and so claim to interpret every last image and verse in the Bible. Not for them the mystery of faith but the peddling of artists' impressions of an imaginary paradise where all of life's woes and struggles are gone and all will be lying in hammocks enjoying a permanent vacation. Just as Douch was a driven man, so are the leaders of the WTS and just as Douch's dream of a peasant utopia evaporated so it is for many who've come to see the truth about "the Troof".

Anyway "The Gate" is published by The Harvill Press, London - a good read!

Now what are you reading right now? Care to share? We'd love to 'hear".

Cheers, Ozzie

• recoveringjw
    recoveringjw

Ozzie,

That sounds like a very good book. I can think of two people right now to whom I will recommend that book.

I am reading "Lost Light" by Michael Connelly, a mystery. I am also listening to "The Probable Future" by Alice Hoffman on cd in my car (I get tired of the radio).

I like this thread. I am always looking for good books to read. I took the summer off from school, and I have read many many books this summer .

Bethany

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

"The Heavenly Man"

"Sun Tzu - The Art of War for Managers"

• Bubbamar
    Bubbamar

I'm reading How Good Do I have to Be? by Harold Kushner. He's the same guy who wrote When Bad Things Happen to Good People (awesome read). He's a rabbi and offers a marvelous explanation of the story of Adam and Eve that makes more sense than anything I've ever heard. The book also deals with guilt, forgiveness and compassion.

I'm also reading ISOCF - Ray Franz. It's going much slower than CoC - its a bit wordy - but still good.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I picked up a little book called Ten Things I Wish I'd Known-Before I Went Out Into The Real World, by Maria Shriver. It was on sale for $3.00 and I was interested in it when it was first published, but wouldn't spend $20 on it.

It's a good read too. Comon sense good advice and a little bit autobiographical. It's based on a commencement speech she gave once, and many people said she should write a book and expand on her advice.

• Princess
    Princess

Shark Dialogues by Kiana Davenport.

• DireStraitJacket
    DireStraitJacket

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

• willyloman
    willyloman

Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith, Jon Krakauer (a "must" read for dubs and xdubs).

The Lovely Bones, Alice Seybold

Me Talk Pretty One Day, David Sedaris

The Dogs of Babel, Carolyn Parkhurst

...and I'd rate them in that order.

• RR
    RR

"William Miller and the Advent Crisis" - 1992

RR

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

It's taken quite a long time because it is so long, but I'm nearly finished with "Mein Kampf" by Adolph Hitler.

chevy of the 'lil' ol' Jewish girl, so give me a break' class :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit