How True Are The Testimonies On This Board.?

by Paradise Found 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Paradise Found
    Paradise Found

Its easy to belive what we read and accept as truth.When my wife came to the computer I left on the screen a post on what happend at bethel (Not Intentionally) ..She read It and said I dont belive It?

I would like to belive what I read on this board is 100 % true. Iam grateful for the truth on the U:N and more and more stuff that blows my mind away.And also personal stories that have had a profound effect on me.

Sadly Iam certain with-out doubt that the majority of exsperinences on this board are true because no matter how sincere a person is when you allow people to have a higher legal position in the land they live in than the law of the land they live in( No matter how bad or corrupt the society of the land we live in. And no matter how imperfect. It is still better than allowing a group of elders (No matter how well intentiond) to assume the soul role of truth and justice . This is wrong and I belive the reason this board exists.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day Paradise,

I would like to belive what I read on this board is 100 % true

I think we all would - that's human nature, but the reality is that people do lie, they are deceptive, or they may simply exaggerate, but that's true of anything, isn't it?

I'd suggest you just take things at face value until you know differently. However, (and it's a big however!,) be very cautious about trusting anonymous posters until such time as you've established a trusting relationship. That takes time.

Something else to think about is that many of the experiences have the "ring" of truth about them.

I hope that helps.

I send cordial greetings from downunder.

Cheers, ozzie (of the upside down class)

• blondie
    blondie

I filter personal testimonies through my own experiences and those of people I know IRL. Those that hit on many similar points ring truer to me than those that indicate exaggeration or a rare occurrence due to individual vagaries rather than organizational policy. I have the advantage that I have lived in many states and several countries, gone to many congregations, and had a close association with the three Bethel locations in the US. My over 40 years as a JW, a husband who was an elder, being a 3rd generation JW with roots back to the Bible Students, all affect my view of what I read on JWD.

Blonndie

• Balsam
    Balsam

I know when I first came to the boards I thought, goodness I never experienced 1/2 the stuff these folks have experienced on here, some were so terrible. Then one day I sat down and starting typing my story. I had been in denial, and yes my experience was not good. Can I blame being a JW though for all of it?

No, some of it was my fault for poor choices I made, some was because of my believe system in the JW concept of the bible. Then some was my ex-husband fault, but I could not lay all the blame on him. Some were just circumstances that were influenced by our joint belief system in the WTS guildance. And some was just plain every day ignorance and over confidence. By the time I finished writing my story sounded every bit as sad and heart breaking as everyone elses. For me it gave me a new perspective. I always try to remember that there are two sides to every story, and we are only hearing one side. One perspective. I think most of the experiences we read are heart felt though don't you all think so?

Balsam

• myauntfanny
    myauntfanny

I haven't read any JW experience on here that I felt was untrue. But I saw many nasty things in the org with my own two eyes, so I wasn't skeptical to start with. I also think, well, people do nasty things to each other all the time, my god, just watch Jerry Springer. JWs are just people in the end, so what's surprising about it?

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    I would like to belive what I read on this board is 100 % true.

Wanna come with me to my parents' place sometime?

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

For the most part people here really have nothing to gain by lying. They have already lost friends and family. What else is there to lose?

As you read through the forum you'll find that most of the people here also hate hypocracy. Since it is based on lies within the org then what point would there be in hating it and yet doing it?

You will also see amny posts asking people to back up accusations about the org. Not about personal stories but about events at Bethels or situations like that. There are enough ex-Bethelites here who have independently told similar stories and most likely without knowing the previous stories to confirm the validity of the stories.

We try as much as possible to stick with the truth and we aren't too happy when we find out someone lied. It doesn't exactly work towards our credibility. And believe me we have the WTS saying we lie enough and perhaps that is why so many of us insist on the truth.

• kls
    kls

This is the place where you can open your heart and soul . I do think posters on here are honest probably more so here then in their every day lives. We are all connected and have the same experiences in some way with the cult JWS. Why not? this forum is full of caring and understanding people that genuinely care for each other. If the JWS only knew what real caring and love was .

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    For the most part people here really have nothing to gain by lying. They have already lost friends and family. What else is there to lose?

Yeah I think that's pretty much true LL. I know it is with me. And if someone doesn't believe what I have to say, that's about them. It doesn't change the reality of what I lived through.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Personally, I think most of the stories here are true. Although, every now and then, my BS detector starts to flash. Sometimes, a sensational story is later shown to be a fraud. Sometimes, we never know. I guess it really doesn't matter. Truth can be found even in fiction, too - just like the Bible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit