Why so many handshakes?

by JH 29 Replies latest jw friends

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

Yeah, they kiss each other in the mafia, don't they? But they are always ready to off someone if he makes a mistake.

• Odrade
    Odrade

Oh my god, you guys... c'mon! Handshakes are greetings in polite society. Have you ever been to a cocktail party? or a business meeting? It's a completely appropriate way to greet someone after an absence, or seal a deal, or greet someone you've never met before... You all know this.

Why is there such a big deal being made of how irritating it is to shake hands at the hall? The only thing that used to irritate me was the brothers only shaking hands with brothers. Now it is much less gender-related, so for once there is improvement. Also, if you go to a Spanish gathering, everyone shakes hands with everyone, right down to the smallest of children. I think it's lovely and one of the few genuine gestures JWs are allowed to make. I mean, you can't hug anyone in the hall--- well, some of the sisters can hug some of the other ones...

Bleh. an entire page of mostly bitching about handshaking in the Kingdom Hall. I can't believe it.

By the way, it is considered extremely bad manners (insulting even) to refuse to shake hands with someone who's hand is already extended unless they are trying to get you to "seal a deal" that you haven't yet accepted in business.

Odrade

• Netty
    Netty

Ditto Odrade! I always thought it was so cool to go to the Spanish congregations, and be so warmly welcomed with a handshake. Other congregations could be so cold.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I don't think anyone has a problem with sincere handshaking. I think people are upset about insincere, even patronizing handshaking. That type of handshaking can make you feel very uncomfortable. I believe almost anyone enjoys a warm and sincere handshake though. I hope this makes things make a little more sense.

Flyin'

• minimus
    minimus

JH, I saw that a lot too. You're right! It's a dirty practice!

• JH
    JH

I just don't feel it's neccessary to touch someone's hand every time we meet.

• minimus
    minimus

You never know where it was, JH.

• JH
    JH

Would you shake brother Bush's hand Minimus?

• minimus
  • Valis
    Valis

I don't mind a hand shake when meeting/greeting, but one thing I cannot stand is a wimpy handshake...kind of like the person who is shaking your hand has no grip or perhaps a dead squid attached to thier arm..

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit