Why so many handshakes?

by JH 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

Handshakes here are just a visitor thing really..like the brother coming to give the talk or friends from out of town. Or *gasp* those inactive ones that just need to be encouraged.

• shamus
    shamus

Because it's the only way to express they're obvious homosexual feelings toward theyre brothers. (sarcasm)

I don't know... it's strange and lame.

The only time I shake hands is when I summit a mountain; it is customary and expected that all shake hands once the summit is reached. Other than that, I dunno... dubs need something to make them different. It's they're own custom; they need something....

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

I refused to shake an elder's son's hand at a meeting and the son made sure that his father found out about it. I explained to the elder when he aproached me that it was because the last time I met with his son, his son talked at great length about his doctor's instruction to masturbate. The elder understood. YUCK!

• HappyDad
    HappyDad
    I refused to shake an elder's son's hand at a meeting and the son made sure that his father found out about it. I explained to the elder when he aproached me that it was because the last time I met with his son, his son talked at great length about his doctor's instruction to masturbate.

Kwintestal,

Welcome to jwd. I remember this one bro whose hand I absolutely hated shaking. He was one of those guys whose hands were always sweaty. YUCK!

A trip to the men's room always followed the hand shaking to wash MY hands.

HappyDad

• shotgun
    shotgun

Just think if they practised what the Levite priests did...reaching under your garment to make sure your twig and berries are a complete before entering the Tabernacle......HELLO!

• Scully
    Scully

I sometimes wondered if it was a form of foreplay. The Brothers? really seemed to enjoy it.

Love, Scully

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Let's see, handshaking (according to Farkel) was originated by pagan Arabs, in a quasi-military context (checking for weapons). It also (according to some here) carries homoerotic overtones. Further, handshaking is not mentioned in the Bible. Is this really a practice that is appropriate for Jehovah's Witnesses? What impression are they giving to outsiders who might observe this practice being freely carried on among the brothers?

Perhaps they should stick to the scriptural form of greeting one another:

1Th 5:26 Greet all the brethren with a holy kiss.

That would certainly reflect better upon Jehovah and his organization, wouldn't it?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Scully, I think you could be right about the foreplay thing. I remember a few different brothers who lingered in their handshakes with me and would look me right in the eye and tell me how good I looked in peach or some similar compliment. Depending on the brother, it was either unnerving or flattering or even both .

Flyin'

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Maybe all those handshakes are the reason that so many people in the congs. seem to always be sick and have colds...

• micheal
    micheal
    That's pretty much the extent of the brotherly love for many attenders.

LMAO but very true.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit