Why so many handshakes?

by JH 29 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

The first thing that struck me when I entered a KH for the first time, was the staggering numbers of handshakes being given here and there. It was as if they didn't see each other since months or years. In fact they were together just a few hours earlier in the service.

I think this handshake thing is way out of proportion, and it looks like a show for the newcomer who must say to himself, "they have so much love for each other", look at all the love in their handshakes.

Have you ever tried to limit the number of handshakes given? I did. It was funny to see their face when I refused or hesitated shaking their hand. I wasn't mad at anyone, but just found it plain stupid giving 100 handshakes each meeting.

I rather see true friendship than a fake handshake.

• blondie
    blondie

JH, it must be a phenonmenon in your area. No handshakes in this area. Cold, cold, cold people. In some cultures, handshakes are the norm. You are lucky if one or two say hello.

Blondie

• dh
    dh

when i meet any of my friends or my brother, we shake hands, in a day i shake hands with the same friend maybe 10 times, when we meet and when we depart. it's not fake, it's just something we do, a mix of greeting & culture as much as anything, but it shows to any outsiders and to eachother that we are together.

(edited)

• Farkel
    Farkel

: The first thing that struck me when I entered a KH for the first time, was the staggering numbers of handshakes being given here and there.

Hand-shaking was a custom started by arabs centuries ago. It was done to allow each party to reach up the other party's sleeves to see if a knife was conceiled , or not.

I would suspect that is also why dubs shake hands so frequently.

Farkel

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

ROFLMAO at Farkel

• new light
    new light

Excellent topic, JH. I can't believe no one has mentioned this before now. Handshakes are absolutely HUGE in the KHs I've attended. The frequency is about what you mentioned. It's as if it was the mandatory club greeting. Meeting someone and not shaking their hand would be considered a great insult, every time you saw them for the rest of your life. That's pretty much the extent of the brotherly love for many attenders.

• new light
    new light
    It was funny to see their face when I refused or hesitated shaking their hand. I wasn't mad at anyone, but just found it plain stupid giving 100 handshakes each meeting.

LMAO

• codeblue
    codeblue

Farkel........you are so funny!!!!!!!

Yeap, I have moved around a lot and noticed the handshakes.

Of course, now, whenever I get a handshake I will think of what Farkel said!!!!!!!!

• JH
    JH

Now, I'm sure if a brother refused to give handshakes, he wouldn't be aloud to have certain responsibilities.

• 4JWY
    4JWY

It was a total turnoff to me, for YEARS, the handshake -- wouldn't you think if a woman refused your handshake repeatedly, that you would get the message, she wasn't interested in that hand?? One elder just didn't ever GET it and even after I'd told him right out that I prefer not to shake hands. It may sound rude, but - would you enjoy shaking the same hand that you had seen this guy picking his ears, eyes, and nose with throughout the entire meeting?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit