Peace and Security

by Mystery 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mystery
    Mystery

Walking thru the living room this morning, I heard the morning news anchorman say ?peace and security??..

Those words can still stop me dead in my tracks. ?Armageddon was on its way!?

It seems that those words were used again and again at the KH. Do those 3 words give anyone else a flashback? Or was it just in ?mine??

• Terry
    Terry

Like so many ex-JW's my pump has been primed with all the "signs" of the Last Days.

Nine-eleven was certainly Apocalyptic as is the whole Middle East Muslim vs Christian situation.

But, once I dig around in the roots of my trepidations I discover a poorly constructed scenario by an amateur mystery writer.

Ask yourself a question. Why would god plot his novel in such a haphazard and obscure manner?

If we are to believe the story the way it is laid out in Scripture, then, Jehovah (or his ghost writers) need to go to screenplay class at the local college.

Why not just DO what he has to do? Why turn it into sleuthing, clue-dropping, secrets-to-be-discovered, mysteries to unfold and timeline puzzles? Why doesn't God just do what needs to be done?

The way scripture tells it, God is performing one looooooong striptease! And all of mankind has to sit around waiting for him to drop his shorts! We are supposed to sit on the collective edge of our seats waiting for Jesus to do the Full Monty.

Balderdash!

• metatron
    metatron

Right after Nixon's resignation, Ford pledged himself to "truth, peace and security". The headline appeared in the NY Post or Daily

News. It's all just BS. Strangely, the Watchtower seems to have down played this 'prophecy' in recent years and we can only

speculate why. Perhaps the "worse and worse" fever pitch of doom and gloom works better for their scam than acknowledging

that things may be getting better.

metatron

• dh
    dh

yeah, but the drama sort of stalls when you get to the 'that day be instantly upon us' bit.

• Netty
    Netty

I remember when the words used to petrify me, in the late 70's early 80's. But whats funny is, they were used together like that, even way back then. Here we are 25 years later...

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

I remember back in the late 70's. I was watching "Battlestar Galactica", and the show was interupted to show Jimmy Carter signing what he called a "Peace and Security Pact" with Egypt and Israel. Man, I thought that was the end. I mean, they interupted Battlestar Galactica, for God's sake!

Anyway, over the years, I have heard earthquakes, financial collapse, terrorism, war, peace, crime, and just about everything else credited with beginning the onslaught of Armageddon. The only thing I know for sure, is that whatever happens on this earth, JWs will be irrelevant.

• christopherrobin
    christopherrobin

1989---Berlin Wall came down----Witnesses were SURE the end was here !!!!!!!!!!

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

I heard Bush mention the words peace and security several months ago, and my thoughts automatically went to the prophecies of the "Last Days".

I think that as long as I live, there will be certain key words that will do that to me. It has little effect now, but the thoughts still come up.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

An interesting thread......The UN, was the WTS given special knowledge?

Reading the passage in 1 Thess in context shows that the author (not Paul) was attempting to allay concerns that the end was overdue. The author sought to create a sense of hysteria in his readers by saying that the end was going to come sudden and without warning like a thief upon his victim. Adventists have seized upon the verse and find it still effective. The verse manifestly does not purport to be some sort of final sign of the end as it's very message is that there would be no such additional warning. 'Peace and tranquility/security' was not some prophetic declaration by the world's governments but rather just saying that the 'ignorant' would believe that they were safe from God's vengence being fortold.

It's all manipulative religious propaganda, then and now.

• Farkel
    Farkel

: Walking thru the living room this morning, I heard the morning news anchorman say ?peace and security??..

This is yet another reason why the Bible cannot be trusted. After EVERY war in human history people use the phrase, "peace and security." Therefore, as a prophetic indicator of God's impending wrath, it is utterly worthless.

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit