Letter From WTBTS Evidence of Mind Control Tactics

by Corvin 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Corvin
    Corvin

The following is taken from Ray Franz's book, Crisis of Conscience, pages 341-344. This letter, sent out to all traveling representatives, Circuit Overseers, by the Service Department of the international headquarters, shows the Society's demand for comformity no matter the cost to the rank and file.

JW Lurkers: please read carefully. The portion of the letter in blue is of particular interest, and Franz's comments nails the Governing Body's intent.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

WATCHTOWER BIBLE AND TRACT SOCIETY OF NEW YORK, INC.

117 ADAMS STREET, BOOKLYN, NEW YORK 11201, U.S.A. PHONE (212) 625-1240

SCG:SSF September 1, 1980

TO ALL CIRCUIT AND DISTRICT OVERSEERS

Dear Brothers:

Me know that you and your wives benefitted greatly from the "Divine Love" District Conventions. They impressively brought to our attention why love is the most beneficial quality that we can develop. (1 Cor. 13:13) Love enables us to remain united in spite of the limitations and shortcomings we manifest. ?Col. 3:12-14.

You can be sure that by your loving example, the brothers you serve will be uplifted and strengthened in the faith. We have received a number of letters informing us of the love you brothers and your wives have displayed. One body of elders wrote concerning their circuit overseen "(He) is truly devoted to do Jehovah's will . . . being of spiritual assistance to all . . . approachable in discussing any matter. (He) has a listening ear, showing empathy for the brothers. Such brothers we can rely upon when future problems we know will come, set in."

You can be confident that the brothers treasure your friendship, association and love when you "genuinely care for the things pertaining to them." (Phil. 2:19-23,29) Therefore, continue exerting yourselves to deal lovingly with them. Never pressure them or scold them. Lead them, work hard with them, exhort them in accord with their needs. Be patient if their progress appears slow. Such loving, patient treatment will refresh the brothers.--Matt. 11:28-30.

PROTECTING THE FLOCK

A major responsibility of an overseer as he 'shepherds the flock of God in his care" is to protect it from dangers. (Acts 20:28) Acts 20:29,30 indicates that one of those dangers can be men who apostatize. There is a fine study of this subject in the August 1, 1980, Watchtower. All of you want to get thoroughly familiar with the contents of the study articles. Encourage all of the elders and ministerial servants, especially, to do likewise. Include key points in your "Continue in the Things You Have Learned" program.

Help the elders discern between one who is a trouble-making apostate and a Christian who becomes weak in faith and has doubts. (2 Peter 2; Jude 22, 23) The former one should be dealt with decisively after extended efforts put forth to readjust him. (2 John 7-10) On the other hand, one weak should be patiently and lovingly assisted to get the accurate knowledge solidify his faith.

Page 2

Keep in mind that to be disfellowshiped, an apostate does not have to be a promoter of apostate views. As mentioned in paragraph two, page 17 of the August 1, 1980, Watchtower, "The word 'apostasy' comes from a Greek term that means 'a standing away from,' 'a falling away, defection,' 'rebellion, abandonment. Therefore, if a baptized Christian abandons the teachings of Jehovah, as presented by the faithful and discreet slave, and persists in believing other doctrine despite Scriptural reproof, then he is apostatizing. Extended, kindly efforts should be put forth to readjust his thinking. However, if, after such extended efforts have been put forth to readjust his thinking, he continues to believe the apostate ideas and rejects what he has been provided through the 'slave class, then appropriate judicial action should be taken.

This is not to say that you or the elders should go on 'witch hunts,' as it were, inquiring into the personal beliefs of your brothers. Rather, if something reasonably substantial comes to the attention of the elders along this line, it would be appropriate to make a kindly, discreet inquiry so as to protect the flock. We cannot overemphasize the need to be cautious, discreet and kindly as such situations are dealt with.?James 1:19, 20. . . .

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ray Franz?s Comments:

The letter presents an official policy. It actually says that a person's believing?not promoting, but simply believing? something that differs from the teachings of the organization is grounds for taking judicial action against him as an "apostate"!

The letter makes no qualifying statements limiting such differences of belief to fundamental teachings of God's Word, such as the coming of God's Son as a man, the ransom, faith in Christ's shed blood as the basis for salvation, the resurrection, or similar basic Bible doctrines. It does not even say that the person necessarily disagrees with the Bible, the Word of God. Rather, he disagrees with "the teachings of Jehovah, as presented by the faithful and discreet slave." Which is something like saying that a man's accepting and obeying a King's written message is no guarantee that he is loyal; it is his accepting and obeying what a slave messenger claims the ruler meant that decides this!

The symbol at the top of the September 1, 1980 letter ("SCG") identifies the composer of it as Leon Weaver. But it should not be thought that this "thought-control" policy was the thinking of one individual,-nor was it some momentary off-the-cuff expression of extremism which a person might make and afterward feel ashamed of as a rash, harsh and utterly unchristian position to take. The composer was a member of the Service Department Committee whose members, such as Harley Miller, David Olson, Joel Adams, Charles Woody and Leon Weaver, were all longtime representatives of the organization, with decades of experience behind them. They were agents of the Governing Body in supervising the activity of about 10,000 congregations and the activity of all the elders, Circuit and District Overseers in the United States, where nearly one million Jehovah's Witnesses live. They were in regular contact with the Service Committee of the Governing Body and were supposed to be thoroughly familiar with the Governing Body policies, attuned to its thinking and viewpoint and spirit.

But this only adds to the appalling aspect of the position the letter took. As I know from years on the Service Committee, any letter of this importance must be submitted to the Governing Body Service Committee for approval before being sent out. 1 Objection by even one member of that Committee would have resulted in the letter's going before the entire Governing Body for discussion.

Whatever the case, the letter and its policy?which evokes memories of the position of religious authorities in the Inquisition- had to have been approved by a number of headquarters representatives, including several Governing Body members. Since people's friendships, family relationships, personal honor and other life interests were all at stake, it should be presumed that these men gave long, careful thought to that statement of September 1, 1980, before approving it as an official expression from the "faithful and discreet slave" of Jesus Christ. What they there said was no light matter to be explained away later by saying, "Well, we really didn't mean it exactly the way it sounded." As the facts show, people, many persons, were actually disfellowshiped and continue to be disfellowshiped solely on the basis of this very thought-control policy sent out. The denigrating label of "apostate" is placed on their name simply because in their own hearts, they cannot accept all of the Society's interpretations.

1 The members at that time were Ted Jaracz (Coordinator), Milton Henschel, Albert Schroeder, William Jackson and Martin Poetzinger.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

My Thoughts

It has been my personal experience and the experience of most everyone on this board that elders in the congregation who are charged with shepherding the flock cannot differentiate between those with doubts and those who do not believe WT doctrine. If you are a JW still in the organization and you are here because of doubts, I bid you go to your elders or some other loud mouth JW and express these doubts out loud and see what happens. Ray Franz hit the nail on the head with his firsthand evaluation ot the Society's tactics and demand for comformity.

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41
    It does not even say that the person necessarily disagrees with the Bible, the Word of God. Rather, he disagrees with "the teachings of Jehovah, as presented by the faithful and discreet slave." Which is something like saying that a man's accepting and obeying a King's written message is no guarantee that he is loyal; it is his accepting and obeying what a slave messenger claims the ruler meant that decides this!

In my opinion, the above statement clarifies it all. It brings the horror of the letter fully to my understanding, especially the highlighted phrase.........

How joyful I am, that I can wake each morning, no longer worried that my own private and personal musings don't have to be considered "apostate". I now bask in the knowledge that I am loved wholly and completely by the Universal Spirit.

Terri

• Corvin
    Corvin

bttt . . .

I believe this letter to be one of the most telling and awful evidence of the WTBTS's intent to control every aspect of a JW's life, especially what they think and believe. Bttt because I think that all newbies should get a gander at its contents.

Corvin

• jwbot
    jwbot

I agree, Corvin. Well I guess people are right, even if I did not promote "apostate" views, I was definitely an apostate, from age 5!

• Jon Preston
    Jon Preston

Marked

• apostatethunder
    apostatethunder

This policy of thought crimes explains why there is so much hypocrisy in this organization.

I find disturbing that so far nobody has seriously examined what is behind this cult. It is not normal trying to invade other people's private lives, much less their thoughts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjIBX5RrG4Q

• Skinnedsheep
    Skinnedsheep

Now Leon Weaver is the president of the corp.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Interesting!

• humbled
    humbled

This is right on the money.

I took a conscience matter to the local brothers concerning a subject that showed up in all JW literature that did not reflect the verses in the bible.

My concern had no direct effect on JW doctrine.

Bethel looked into my material and could not find cause to refute my objection on the basis of scholarship. But..

they nevertheless demanded that I readjust my attitude to accept their interpretation.

MADNESS! And I was forbidden to discuss my problem of conscience with anyone or be accused of starting a sect!

I told them in view of what had happened to me I would never start a new RELIGION!

And left soon after.

• RottenRiley
    RottenRiley

Mind Control, if we believed it was Ok to get Blood Fractions in the 1970s, we were Apostates.

Generation If we believed the Generation was not going to end in 1992, we were Apostates!

Faithful Servant If we belived Jesus did not pick the Faithful Slave with Charles Taze Russel and Russel was part of the "John the Baptist Class' we were Apostates!

1878, 1897, 1914, 1918-1919, 1925, 1930s, 1975 and 1992, if those Dates were not proof God had come and begun to rule over mankind, guess what, we are Apostates.

Now if we were given New Light before the Nu-Lite offered by the self-appointed Slave, God was working through us and not the true Apostates.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit