What's your favourite word?

by myauntfanny 47 Replies latest social humour

• myauntfanny
    myauntfanny

Blondie

Yes, that's right. But that's more formal and I think more critical. Etepetete is more commonly used and I have the impression it's more friendly.

TresHappy

Well, how in the heck did she expect you to manage that?

Edited for typo and clarity.

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

Suppurating - a fancy word for "popping pimples!"

• blondie
    blondie
    Etepetete

okay, with the correct spelling now it pops up on the dictionary. Never used that particular phrase where I grew up. You learn something every day.

Blondie

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Gossamer

Snorked

Thunder

Imbue

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

In my senior year in high school, a friend signed my yearbook. She said she would always remember our "remoriable" times. And I thought, wow, what a clever word! It combines memorable, remember, and memorial. Being the word nerd, I thought it was a splendid blend and started using it myself.

• myauntfanny
    myauntfanny

Blondie

Sorry, I realised I'd spelled it wrong when I looked it up. My husband says it's actually French, originally, and he didn't grow up with it either. So maybe it just came in in the last few years?

Leolaia

I like it when people make up words. My friend once said her boyfriend was vandalous. He was, too. I've thought about it so much over the years that now it seems real to me.

• dh
    dh

sideways

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Actually, I go every year to the American Dialect Society's annual meeting and vote in the famous "Word of the Year" event. So I hear every year many of the witty, funny new words that are around. I was so pissed last year that "freedom fries" beat "Bennifer" as "Most Unnecessary". What could be a more useless word than "Bennifer", while I myself used "freedom fries" when I was in France for humor purposes??

During the days of the dot-com bust in 2000, here are some words I liked:

dot-snot: A twentysomething dot-com millionaire exec who blows his money on anything real fast.

dot-bomb: A failed dot-com.

starter castle: A dot-commers first home.

Here's a full list with voting results:

http://www.americandialect.org/woty.html

• myauntfanny
    myauntfanny

Leolaia

Bennifer! That was a mistake, what were they thinking of? No one will even know who they are in a few years, while progressives will be smirking over Freedom Fries (and neo-coms looking miffed about it) forever. And plus it has legs, you can do Freedom Twist (only nobody wears their hair like that anymore), Freedom mustard, Freedom Ticklers.

Thanks for the link, it's really entertaining. I miss that here, they don't really approve of that kind of word play in Germany.

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

... ...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit