Do You Actually Believe In The "Power of Prayer"???

by minimus 79 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

...or that unified meditation can change the course of things???

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Why don't you ask these people, Min:
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/77232/1.ashx

• Mulan
    Mulan

I think it is very possible. There is evidence to support it.

• JT
    JT

this is one of the most difficult things for a believer to Logically explain, usually the reponse is YOU JUST GOTTA BELIEVE

well that sounds good on paper but the fact of the matter is billions of folks around the world who truly could use the power of prayer dont get it

we pray to have healthy baby- if we do, then the believer firmly believes that his prayer was answered, while millions are born deformed or with other conditions

we pray that the surgery on grandma is successful, grandma comes thru with flying colors, the believer says god was watchig out for her-

matters not that she was in the best medical hosptial in the country

yet millions of folks can't get basic medicine like clean water and salt to prevent Diarrhea in their babies-

we walk to our car at night and are approached by some thug asking for our keys, we pray out loud O-LORD, The person leaves, the beleiver firmly believs that his prayer protected him,

yet we saw with our own eyes via the net person scream out to thier god and yet thier heads were cut off like a chickens neck

at this point the beleiver attempts to explain why some folks get their power of prayer answered and others do not- and it is an interesting conversation as one listens to a believer explain why someone like a child was raped while the little 7yr old screamed out in prayer to the god that the little child was told would protect them- so even at a young age this process of god will hook you up and if he don't it was not the right time, is ingrained into the little heads of children

so when they become adults they too can explain why some folks get the hook up and others who could really use a hook up don't

yes the power of prayer is an amazing concept, for as long as man needs Hope, and has a desire for something better, the power of prayer and the belief systems that support it will always be here

just my 2

• minimus
    minimus

"Evidence"? There's "evidence" to support anything you want to believe in.

• truthseeker1
    truthseeker1

You asked and I'll answer.

I do not believe in the power of prayer. Studies have scientifically proven that prayer will not have any effect on outcome. The only study that claimed it had and got any recognition is this one, but it turned out to be fraud.

http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic06-11-04.html

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

I think George Carlin said it best:

You know who I pray to? Joe Pesci. Two reasons: First of all, I think he's a good actor, okay? To me, that counts. Second, he looks like a guy who can get things done. Joe Pesci doesn't f*** around. In fact, Joe Pesci came through on a couple of things that God was having trouble with.

For years I asked God to do something about my noisy neighbor with the barking dog, Joe Pesci straightened that c***sucker out with one visit. It's amazing what you can accomplish with a simple baseball bat.
    So I've been praying to Joe for about a year now. And I noticed something. I noticed that all the prayers I used to offer to God, and all the prayers I now offer to Joe Pesci, are being answered at about the same 50% rate. Half the time I get what I want, half the time I don't. Same as God, 50-50. Same as the four-leaf clover and the horseshoe, the wishing well and the rabbit's foot, same as the Mojo Man, same as the Voodoo Lady who tells you your fortune by squeezing the goat's testicles, it's all the same: 50-50. So just pick your superstition, sit back, make a wish, and enjoy yourself.
  • Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I believe in the power of 8-tracks. Some of them have good music on them, you can't rewind them, and they hurt if you throw them really hard at someone.

As for prayer....

This Message was undeliverable due to the following reason:

Each of the following recipients was rejected by a remote mail server.
    The reasons given by the server are included to help you determine why
    each recipient was rejected.

Recipient: <God>
    Reason: doesn't exist (#6.6.6)

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

What you say doesn't negate what all of us can do on this board by praying or sending healing light to our friend Ian. Are you going to question what all of us want to do, or CAN do? Why would you question a motive so pure so as to help our friend, through healing light and prayers get over his cancer? What can it HURT? I actually believe that whatever we send out into the universe can affect us .. and my sending healing thoughts is not hurtin YOU.. so get over it. do you NOT want Ian to get well? Do you want him to die? Why would you try to stop the people that want to help him?

Country Girl

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

Most definitely!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit