Do they expect everyone to have a MONEY TREE???

by recoveringjw 23 Replies latest jw friends

• recoveringjw
    recoveringjw

OOH! I am so mad, I don't even know if I am posting under the right subject!

My parents (still thick as thieves with the JW's--Dad's an elder) were asked to move to Myrtle Point, OR last year because their congregation was not doing so well and they needed some help. So, my parents, being the giving and generous people that they are, said yes and moved over there. For those of you who are not familiar with the area, Myrtle Point is near the Oregon Coast, near Coos Bay and North Bend and it is in a very economically depressed area. My mom was able to transfer to another branch of the bank where she works and for awhile my Dad had the website he maintained for a dub in Roseburg. But, the dub got df'd 'cause he couldn't keep his hands off other people's wives and decided to lay off all of his dub employees. So, my mom works 3 days a week so she can pioneer and my Dad has no job and he has just recently had knee surgery and needs it again and where all of the witnesses?????? The part that just makes me want to THROW things is that I talked to my brother yesterday and he told me that my Dad called him and asked him if he knew of anyone who is looking for a nice guitar(Gibson Les Paul)----He told my brother that he needed to sell it in order to pay the RENT. What the F---? My parents should be thinking of RETIREMENT, instead my dad has to sell his most PRIZED possession (he LOVES that guitar and he LOVES playing it) because he's involved in an organization which cares nothing for individuals, only about....well, I don't even know what the borg cares about, but it certainly isn't helping people with day to day expenses. I mean, I know all of the bullshit reasons that are given for why JW ministers aren't paid or aided monetarily. And while my parents made this choice, they were still asked to do it---probably because Big Brother couldn't get any other shmucks to do it. I am just so PISSED OFF. I am thinking of sending them money, without asking them if they want it, and I know that it will embarrass them, but I don't know what else to do! So fired up, I can't type properly!!!!!!!!

Bethany(burning up the "Newbie" status, one post at a time)

• kls
    kls

Bethany that is indeed sad. People give and give to a cult and get nothing in return except the lie that they will live for ever in paradise. I can see why you are angry and the hardest part is that you can do nothing about it. How do you fight a cult that has taken a person's mind and life.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    Dad called him and asked him if he knew of anyone who is looking for a nice guitar(Gibson Les Paul)----He told my brother that he needed to sell it in order to pay the RENT. What the F---? My parents should be thinking of RETIREMENT, instead my dad has to sell his most PRIZED possession (he LOVES that guitar and he LOVES playing it)

OMG! That's awful!

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Hello Bethany. Sorry to hear about what your parents are going through. The thing is they're the ones who chose to remain with the WTS. They're the ones allowing themselves to be controlled by the WTS. This is just my opinion, but hopefully after they go through this experience, they'll see what a horrible organization they belong to.

In my opinion, sending them money is going to allow them to continue pioneering and serving the org for another month. Sadly, you'll indirectly be supporting the WTS. Also, what will they do next month? Are you ready to send them money every month to help them pioneer?

• recoveringjw
  • recoveringjw
    recoveringjw

OOps, sorry about that!

What i was going to write is, Nos, I know. I have thought about all that. And I definitely don't want to support, even indirectly, the WTS, and I know that they made the choice to stay in the organization---I guess I just feel desperate and frustrated because I KNOW I can't do anything really helpful for them. I have tried talking to them about this, but they have this misguided idea that they are doing what God wants them to do.

Thanks, everyone for the responses. I just needed to vent. I can't really throw things, I am at work. Maybe i will taking up boxing

B

• kls
    kls

Happy Birthday Bethany, Especially the the big 30 ,hope it is a great day.

• Bubbamar
    Bubbamar

Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday dear BETHANY!! Happy birthday to you!!

I would say - No bailouts for an addict. JW's are religion addicts. If you bail them out you will only enable them. On the other hand, it would also be a good "witness" to them to receive unasked-for help from a non - JW. You're in a tough spot. I wonder if there is another way to help them that doesn't involve them being rescued from the consequences of their choices.

• recoveringjw
    recoveringjw

Thank you for the birthday wishes. It feels weird to be 30.

Bubbamar,

I guess that is my biggest dilema. I really don't want to "enable" them, but I do want to help them. I will have to think about a way to help them that won't be indirectly aiding the WTS

• avishai
    avishai

I might buy it, depending on how much he wants. If he wants to buy it back at cost, he can. Call it being a good samaritan. Or whatever.

However, i might be tempted to stash the UN letter in the box when I sent ift back!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit