Blood to save a life.

by pratt1 22 Replies latest jw friends

• 4JWY
    4JWY

StinkyPantz ~

I was referring to, if you were out of the cult and would want to have blood given to you, would you want them to honor your thinking on the matter and allow it to be given, or stick to their indoctrination of no blood?

If the relative has made it clearly known that they live by the JW rulebook, I can't see that whether they are on their deathbed or not, that one would feel it appropriate to go against their own personal wishes. I'm dealing with a similar issue as regards to following my father's wishes in his will right now, and although siblilngs may like for me to disregard his thoughts, I can't do it.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz
    if you were out of the cult and would want to have blood given to you, would you want them to honor your thinking on the matter and allow it to be given, or stick to their indoctrination of no blood?

I understand what you are saying. Fortunately JWs aren't taught to go against someone else's wishes with regards to blood/medical treatment. If, though, I chose to leave my medical care in their hands when I am sick, I must trust them, so I'd accept whatever they chose to do. The same is true if they left the decision-making up to me. My whole family knows how I feel and what I'd do.

If the relative has made it clearly known that they live by the JW rulebook, I can't see that whether they are on their deathbed or not, that one would feel it appropriate to go against their own personal wishes.

This applies to my previous comment. Their decision wouldn't be made for the right reason. They are following a cult's rules. I would never allow someone to deliberately hurt themselves because the cult says so. If they insisted on drinking poison laced Kool-aid for their cult, I'd stop them from doing that too. In both cases whether it's refusing blood or eating poison, they'd be harming themselves unnecessarily, and I couldn't stand by and watch them do that.

I'm dealing with a similar issue as regards to following my father's wishes in his will right now, and although siblilngs may like for me to disregard his thoughts, I can't do it.

Well you'd have to be more specific for me to comment on this.

• 4JWY
    4JWY

The sick person might not have made their decisions based on the critieria another would use to make the decision, but that still doesn't negate the fact that they made the decision that was personally important to them. If it is stated in their living will, medical directives etc. I wouldn't feel it was ethical to go against it.

My JW father did just as you mentioned, he drank poison laced water. At the hospital, dying, when they wanted to give him blood, how would I have felt to go against his wishes? He'd already made his choices clear.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz
    The sick person might not have made their decisions based on the critieria another would use to make the decision, but that still doesn't negate the fact that they made the decision that was personally important to them. If it is stated in their living will, medical directives etc. I wouldn't feel it was ethical to go against it.

JWs don't take blood because they are told not to. That is the criteria they use. I think the JWs are a cult and have their members making unnecessary, dangerous decisions. IF a person stated something in their living will or medical directive, I might not go against it, although I doubt I could legally anyway. BUT if they left they medical care decisions up to me, then I would do what I thought was right. This is a little different than the question put forth in this thread. I realise that going against someone's wishes in this manner seems wrong.. but I can't help thinking that not so long ago I would've refused blood and could've ended my life for a lie. I couldn't assist someone that wanted to make this mistake.. I think that's morally wrong. 4JWY, I appreciate and understand where you are coming from though.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Although.. I was just thinking.. I'm pro-euthanasia.. Is that a contradiction?

• kls
    kls

You bet i would . If they want to hate me later for it ,so be it but i will not have someone's death haunt me for the rest of my life.

• 4JWY
    4JWY

pratt1 ~

I wish you the best if this is something you are struggling with at this time. Thank you for posting this topic as I do feel it is something that we wouldn't always think alot about and then one day we find ourself under the stress of the situation and can't think as clearly perhaps.

I couldn't assist someone that wanted to make this mistake... I think that's morally wrong.

I'm a firm believer now in following your own heart, not someone else's rules. I've enjoyed thinking through your thoughts too SP.

• pratt1
    pratt1

Thanks to all for your comments.

I just hope I won't need to make this decision.

• unbeliever
    unbeliever

My mom knows that none of her children would respect her wishes. She's made sure and appointed her witness "daughter" as the person designated to make medical decisions for her.

• Carmel
    Carmel

Geeze this is a toughy! I think I would likely do it for just about any one except the a$$ who was the CO that got me DF'd and my family members. Those would be a real waste of blood...

carmel :-)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit