Blood to save a life.

by pratt1 22 Replies latest jw friends

• pratt1
    pratt1

If one of your witiness relatives was incapacitated and the decision to give this relative blood or another lfe saving treatment, that is condemned by the society was thrust solely in your hands, would you give your consent although you know that this decision would be against their personal and religious beliefs?

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

This is a difficult question. I think that any Witness who does not leave documentation (such as a blood card) must have been having some doubts. If the Witness conciously avoided filling out and retaining the blood card, then I would be hard pressed to allow him to be killed for his beliefs.

So, in other words, if the Witness did not take care of this themselves, then I'm not about to do it. They can complain after the transfusion.

• dh
    dh

yep, without a question.

• Netty
    Netty

absolutely, without a doubt, no question about it. I have thought about this before. Where there would be a problem is I have two self righteous JW siblings who would fight me on it, so sad.

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

? would you give your consent although you know that this decision would be against their personal and religious beliefs?

No. I am in this position with respect to a close relative who is a devout JW and has been for over 60 years. We have discussed the blood issue and this person cannot see anything at all wrong with the WTS? position on blood. This stance against blood has been well documented in a "living will."

Therefore, I will not go against this one?s wishes. In good conscience, I will not authorize blood even if needed, though I personally would accept blood when needed.

• pratt1
    pratt1

This is a tough decision for me. I am the only child to a non believer and an active Dub.

Their wishes are to not receive blood even if the consequences are death.

However, I am not sure if I would comply with their wishes. Actually I am leaning in the other direction. I rather deal with their disapproval once they are well, than to lose the ability of dealing with them at all because of death.

• Balsam
    Balsam

Please read up on AJWRB.ORG about blood issues that JW's face.

If it left in your hands, give them blood. It could possibly save their life and no blame will be put on them for it through the congregation. I say absolutely yes to give JW's blood if they have not already gotten their documentation together to prevent it.

I work with AJWRB.org to assist JW and their families with blood issues.

balsam

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

I would most definitely give permission for them to get a transfusion. Why? Because one day they might leave the org.

• 4JWY
    4JWY

No, I would not go against their personal wishes.

Turning the tables, if they were responsible for making the same decision on your behalf, would you want them to follow your wishes?

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz
    if they were responsible for making the same decision on your behalf, would you want them to follow your wishes?

If I was caught up in cult-like or archaic thinking and it would cost me my life.. they better not follow my ill-advised wishes!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit