Feral elders

by SixofNine 51 Replies latest jw friends

• in a new york bethel minute
    in a new york bethel minute

sometimes i mentally put myself in the position you are in... the only thing i could think of that would get me out of it... depending on what the accusations are... is to say everything they want to hear. lie until you are practically in tears. act like you are angling for an oscar. be the person you never wanted to be, if only for an hour or two. yes you loathe apostates, yes you believe in the kingdom's establishment in 1914, yes you believe that the GB is God's only channel of communication to humankind today... etc... these are, of course, only options if you are being accused of apostacy. if they are accusing you of some other sin that people have witnessed you doing repeatedly, then you could be screwed. but hopefully that isn't the case.

lloyd bethel christmas

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Damn Sixy, I'm sorry.

I kinda like what's been said so far. I favor a combination of the old Muhammad Ali rope-a-dope defense and out-and-out threats. They probably know your profession so you can tell them you have an assignment already scheduled out of town, can't get out it yadda yadda. I would combine that (at the same time, perhaps in the same conversation/letter) with a threat of legal action not against the Society but against them personally (slander for example). You could stretch things a bit by saying you have already retained counsel who has advised you etc. etc. I also think Nina is right in that you want to give the appearance of wanting to cooperate

However, if push comes to shove and you find yourself in a corner, I would not dignify their kangaroo court by attending. I'm not telling you something you don't already know, but showing up on their court only gives them power and license to say and do anything they want.

If we can do anything to help, please let us know.

Chris

• Mulan
    Mulan

I told Dave about your dilemma and he said to tell you this:

Call one of the elders who visited you, ask who is the chairman of your committee, and call him. Ask him what are the accusations against you, who are the witnesses, and will they be there. They HAVE to tell you that information. It is your right, and they can't get away with telling you it is confidential. Also, you are entitled to bring witnesses to refute the accusation.

Do it!

• DocBob
    DocBob

Send them a customized copy of my letter #2. I sent it in response to their invitation to meet with them to face charges of apostasy. I made it plain that I was NOT disassociating and set a few conditions that had to be met before I would meet with them. I sent it in late December of 1999 and haven't heard from them since.

You can find the letter at: http://docbob1.home.comcast.net/letter_2.htm

• Valis
    Valis

Poor Sexy Six...dude if your family already knows then why even bother with them? I could always come over and give you a hand..either that or I could show up at your JC instead of you...bwahahah..

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• bigboi
    bigboi

I agree with Lady Lee. I say, with the assistance of a lawyer, threaten legal action against them for liable and defamation. At the very least it'll buy you the time you need to square things away with family and friends.

• gumby
    gumby
    Were there "two eyewitnesses" to the behaviour that brought about the serious accusations against you??

You can't confirm or deny anything unless they tell you what charges they have against you. They aren't supposed to DF someone unless they disclose the charges and give the person an opportunity to confirm or deny or defend themselves.

Mark......this statement from scully is correct.

I would also inform them that if they do not have this proof, then you will take legal action. Legal action always scares the piss out of them and may stop their plans. You have 3 more days to do this......get on it!

Gumby

• cyberguy
    cyberguy

SixofNine,

Sorry to hear about this sixo'! Did they tell you want the accusations were? and who made them?

They're suppose to do this, so that you can prepare to defend yourself, with potential witnesses in your favor. I would make a big issue about this!

• avishai
    avishai

Deny, deny, deny. Then threaten to sue. If they go thru with it, sue them. A lot.

• onacruse
    onacruse

Wow, what a side-swipe.

Sixxer, you ask for any strategems, so here's one scenario--

If your primary intent is to delay any official announcement until after the wedding, then use stalling tactics (as others have suggested):

1) Try to beg off for a week on the jc meeting...you do feel a flu coming on, right?

2) If possible, complicate the matter by saying you have witnesses of your own, whose schedules are very difficult to coordinate.

3) You have 1 week to appeal their decision...wait until the 6th day, then hand-deliver a copy of your appeal letter, preferably with someone sitting in the car that can verify that the letter was delivered.

4) It will take them some time to put together an appeal committee, since such an action has to be coordinated by the c.o.

5) If that doesn't buy enough time, then when the appeals committee renders their decision, appeal it to the WTS. (I'm not really sure about this last step; it may be that the appeal decision becomes binding and announceable, pending an overturn by Brooklyn).

At any rate, I think using such a tactic would probably buy you enough time to be able to attend the wedding.

Other than that, my suggestion would be to make them make the decision, and don't you make it for them. Trust me on this (I speak from personal experience), you never know how the conscience of certain elders will haunt them in a way that you would probably never expect (as happened with the chairman of my last jc).

I'm sorry this is happening to you, my friend.

Craig

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit