Philosophy: Satan's tool?

by M.J. 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Terry
    Terry

Until I hit the age of forty (or was it the other way around?) I avoided Philosophy because I had this mental picture of old bearded Greeks wearing bedsheets asking each other the meaning of meaning.

But, then I stumbled upon a book in the library. I can't really tell you why I picked it up and flipped through it. I think I was in the wrong section looking for something else. But, I ended up in Philosophy with a book in my hand by a guy named Moritmer J. Adler. I vaguely remembered his name from a book I'd read years earlier called HOW TO READ A BOOK. And--yes--I also identified him with the Encyclopedia Britannica series GREAT BOOKS OF THE WESTERN WORLD; he had put together that collection. I had a set of those.

So, for whatever reason I picked up this Adler book titled TEN PHILOSOPHICAL MISTAKES.

I just started in on the first page and before I realized it, I had read the whole damned book. Yeah, no kidding. It was wonderful. It answered questions I'd had all my life. And the guy was so plain spoken. No fancy sentences. No convoluted reasoning. It was like pouring milk in a glass and drinking it. This was something new to me.

Reading this one little book was like taking medicine and getting well. And there was no religion connected to it. That was pretty enticing too. All you needed was your own brain and the ability to go step by step and you could unravel the thread that holds the universe together. What more could I ask?

So, from that one little book I began reading Philosophy. I next went to Adler's ARISTOTLE FOR EVERYBODY. Wow. I had always heard of this guy--but, I had no idea that he was THE AUTHORITY for almost three thousand years. I mean, this little balding greek guy was THE MAN. He was tutor to Alexander the Great; he invented Logic; he was awesome.

Philosophy was the owner's manual for the brain. From Aristotle I proceeded to general books that told me who was who and what was what before I read specific philosophers. I figured out what the mechanism of their approach consisted of and how they worked their brain magic.

Rhetoric, metaphysics, Logic, epistemology, ethics, politics, esthetics---one by one the greatest minds spilled their golden coins into my hands and with the treasures they bestowed I could buy the moon and stars for a song.

Logical fallacies simply MUST be studied if one is to spot the hook being dangled in a specious argument. Hidden presuppositions are the leaven that ferments the whole lump of an otherwise impeccable argument. All the tumblers were falling into place, one by one, and soon I'd be able to open the vast vault of unsullied thinking.

Is a love of knowledge the tool of Satan? From the Watchtower standpoint the answer is YES, because satan means "opposer" and clear thinking invariably leads you away from Brooklyn's fangs and claws.

Watchtower philosophy is alien to humanity. It is founded on the idea that humans are worthless creatures who must be enslaved and made to work very hard lest they fall into mischief. Fill the human with self-loathing and fear and promise them a treat if they bend over and accept the KY gift of Governing Body wisdom.

My reccomendation is to start with Adler. Anything by Adler is wonderful. Why not visit his website and get a taste of what is in store?

http://radicalacademy.com/adlerdirectory.htm

• onacruse
    onacruse

Terry:

But, then I stumbled upon a book in the library. I can't really tell you why I picked it up and flipped through it. I think I was in the wrong section looking for something else.

Fate it is, I tell ya!

I was working in eastern Oregon, many years ago (but shortly after my college years), and as I was driving around on an early Sunday morning, just enjoying the sights of an early-spring dawn, I passed by a Salvation Army bookstore. Just out of the corner of my eye, I saw the sign "Free books." So I backed up, and dug through the box (a small one).

Up to my eyes came The True Believer, and, still knowing relatively nothing about such examinations, I said to myself "Yeah, this looks like a good book," and I drove off.

How little did I know how the thoughts contained in that small book would subsequently influence the development of my thinking.

• logansrun
    logansrun

I don't know. You think the Watchtower would really have any problems with it's readers studying Michael Fouccolt?

B.

• IronGland
    IronGland

foucault-dont like the guy. The 'Watchtower' of academia.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

There is a REASON that so many dubs are of the uneducated lower class! There is a REASON that the principle employment for pioneers is cleaning toilets! There is a REASON that so many of the dubs were ENCOURAGED to drop out of school and pioneer not that long ago! There is a REASON that since it is now impossible to support a family without finishing high school and in many places at least getting an AA that the "society" strongly discourages learning to think while getting an education! It's the same REASON Catholics were forbidden to learn to read in the middle ages! The same REASON women are not allowed to be educated in Muslim lands!

If you become educated and start thinking ALL religion loses its appeal. All religion is based on superstition if you become educated you realize there are no things that go bump in the night! The worship of a carpenter who's been dead for better than two thousand years is no less foolish than worshiping a tree or a cinder block or a beaver... (Well, depends on the beaver I guess) As soon as you realize that there is no big foot there are no vampires or werewolves there is no hell demons don't exist angels don't exist Jesus was merely the David Koresh of his day and there is no god.

I can understand why they don?t' want you to get an education or educate yourself, can't you?

• VM44
    VM44

Dr Richard Feynman's "philosophical" poem. --VM44

I wonder why I wonder why,
    I wonder why I wonder;
    I wonder why I wonder why,
    I wonder why I wonder..
    -- Richard Feynman
  • VM44
    VM44

This is the thread where happehana mentioned the following:

A few years back a pioneer was threatened with removal if she started an evening philosophy class.

This is really going too far. The elders have no business telling people what courses they may or may not take.

• Gerard
    Gerard

Watchtower Jan 15th, 1983: "Avoid Independent Thinking" From the very outset of his rebellion Satan called into question God's way of doing things. [...] Satan told Eve. 'You don't have to listen to God. He is not really telling you the truth.' (Genesis 3:1-5) To this day, it has been Satan's subtle design to infect God's people with this type of thinking.-2 Timothy 3:1, 13.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

THINKING is Satan's tool.

Jehovah intended that the brain act only as a radiator to cool the blood.

Satan subverted that purpose.

Lobotomies are the JWs' Easter bonnets.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Bumping this as my first semester at college comes to a close, and I am seriously considering making philosophy a larger part of my education.

Yes, the clear and present danger of philosophy for WTS is the fact you really start TO THINK.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit