JW fun is at an all-time low

by Nosferatu 29 Replies latest jw friends

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

We used to play a game similar to the "keys" game, using a pair of scissors. Everyone would sit in a circle, and as they would look at the scissors carefully, scrutinizing them, turning them over, perhaps changing hands back and forth, then passing them to the next person. As they were passed, the person giving the scissors would say the words, "They are open" or "They are closed", depending on whether their ankles or legs were uncrossed or crossed. Most would think "open" or "closed" had something to do with the scissors (and we deliberately made it look that way) when it actually had nothing to do with them. Sometimes, the scissors would make many trips around the circle before everyone finally got it.

• Preston
    Preston

Holy crap, I'm glad I left!

• omegaone
    omegaone

Dude, when was it at an all time high??

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

I remember having a bit of fun! One year, when I was about 12 or 13, we (a few of the sisters and their kids) started having costume parties with a biblical theme. My best friend and I kept our plan secret, it was so fantastic, and I can't tell you how startled everyone was when I showed up in a costume made mostly of scarves and did a brief dance, then went over to a table made from a large cardboard box, raised up the silver platter cover that was sitting on it and revealed my friend who was playing the part of John the Baptist, his head sticking up through a hole in the box, neck surrounded by ketchup, eyes rolled back in his head, and tongue lolling out. The elders decided that costume parties were a bad idea because it's wrong to pretend you're someone you are not! That really makes me laugh these days!...pretending you're someone you're not! None of them ever does that, do they now?

• onacruse
    onacruse

Yes, the times have changed; and they started changing about 35 years ago. Remember when there were actually "congregation picnics"? And the flash-and-dance that happened on some service meeting parts? One part I was in, the congregation servant was almost literally rolling on the floor, laughing his ass off.

Those days are long gone. Anecdotal and eyewitness information from numerous sources indicates that young folks are leaving the org as soon as they reach the age of majority...bored to death (or stimulated to life, depending on viewpoint ).

One interesting perspective: I heard that at last summer's DA series, an announcement was frequently made that "brothers and sisters, please stay around after the session and visit with each other." Instead, the exit doors were swinging as fast as fans.

In a way, it's sad. Disappointed and disillusioned people stuck in a religion that only brings them an increasing sense of isolation.

In another way, it's good. If change in the WTS is gonna happen, it's gonna be because the GB finally takes attention to those swinging exit doors.

Craig

• anew
    anew

Well, I just left a few years ago and there was still the occasional congregation picnic, once or twice a year. Of course not announced, just word of mouth. I used to like the intermission years ago at the meetings between the public talk and Watchtower. I remember cake after the bookstudy's. I used to like the windows too, air coming in. You know it wasn't all bad years ago. It has changed.

• Farkel
    Farkel

What other fun things were removed from the JW religion?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Fun was removed from the JW religion in 1938. It's been misery ever since. The defining trait of the JW religion is misery and guilt.

Get used to it.

Farkel

• Robdar
    Robdar
    We used to go roller-skating as a group.

I remember those. I think that I still have a crush on one of the brothers I used to couple skate with.

The group movies were fun too. Oh, and traveling to other congs to go on hayrides and have bonfires.

Question, did anybody else have hay rides too? If so, was there an elder acting as chaperone who would suddenly turn on a flash light and shout "hand check"?

• onacruse
    onacruse

anew:

Well, I just left a few years ago and there was still the occasional congregation picnic, once or twice a year. Of course not announced, just word of mouth.

Yes, that was part of it: no more "annoucements of congregation picnic on date so-and-so" posted on the announcement board. And then, a series of "advisements" via the KM and WT about "if you sponsor a party or get-together, you are personally answerable to the congregation for any bad things that happen there, even if you didn't know they were going on." That put the quash on social activities real hard.

I used to like the intermission years ago at the meetings between the public talk and Watchtower.

Yes, and so did the brothers that needed to have a smoke between meetings!

I remember cake after the bookstudy's.

I think that's still OK...as long as it ain't washed down with too many wine coolers.

Farkel:
    Fun was removed from the JW religion in 1938.

Possibly, but here's my take on it: The organization was too small to be moved monolithically in those years, and there was too much memory of the pre-Rutherford era still at work--people in a religion, just trying to enjoy their religion in spite of "orders from headquarters." Rutherford died as a man frustrated by his relative ineffectiveness in reeling in the masses, psychologically speaking. It was only when the WTS started to get "big" that mass mentality, as a social phenomenon, started to really get a hold on JWs, and I see that starting primarily in the late 60s. The spasms of the early 80s were the turning point between individuality and obedience to a corporation. Yes, many contrary examples could be presented. I speak in general terms, based (as any opinion must be) on my own experience. Craig

• SAHS
    SAHS

In the early ?80s, they used to rent a local recreation center once a year for a square dance. They even had a brother who was a professional square dance caller. It was put on by an elder who was fairly old. There were just a couple of congregations that went, so it wasn?t like it was an unmanageable or unruly crowd in any way. It was mostly families with children. It was actually quite wholesome and fun (although it was a little ?square? for my taste).

You would think that such a positive, wholesome get-together would be considered acceptable!

Well. Apparently, one of the elders at the Canadian Bethel (notice how I skipped any adjectives) felt that it wasn?t a good idea to have such a gathering just in case it got out of hand or something. So, . . . you guessed it . . . the annual square dance get-together was canned!

Now, I don?t really care much for square dancing myself (I was more into the eating of those baked date squares, as well as everything else at the food table). But, when I heard about the square dance?something I had thought was the ultimate goodie-goodie family event?actually being canned because of the opinion of some (still no adjectives?looks like I won?t be banned from the board today) Bethel starched shirt elder, I knew that this had to be quite the high control group if I ever saw one. Holy crap! (Oops, I let an adjective slip out?I described the crap as being ?holy.?)

Pretty sad, eh?

?SAHS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit