I am attending an assembly.

by jwbot 35 Replies latest jw friends

• jwbot
    jwbot

Well the plants are free if you don't have money on ya ;p

So will I get stares for my piercing? Probably, huh? I am going to be very self-consious.

• DireStraitJacket
    DireStraitJacket

just remember, half the people staring at you will most probably be envious of you.. wishing they could have piercings and a boyfriend.. :)

• blondie
    blondie

jwbot, don't forget to take one of these.

VOMIT BUCKET SOMETIMES KNOWN AS A PUKE PAIL

Blondie

• Jez
    Jez

I attended meetings and assemblies off and on for about two years, (still contemplate it sometimes) AND my worldly husband came to all of them with me. He found it interesting, (although he HATED sitting for 2 hours and slouched sooooo long, it was funny, he is 6'4 and found it torture at the KH, why ARE those chairs so painful?) as in how the hell can ppl believe all this vs wanting to join. Our discussions were interesting and crystal clear at home because we could talk about issues/questions as they came up. He was the 'innocent, untainted, unbrainwashed' point of view that I needed to hear from. He had never heard the crap before and found nothing appealing about it. He really helped me see things from a different perspective.

I was not afraid to walk into that KH or any convention because I am PROUD of what I am and the path that I choose, ME, not them. I look at them and feel pity that things have been chosen, decisions made FOR them. I walk in knowing that I am proof that a human can live without the society and be happy. I go in with my husband hugging me, we hold hands the whole meeting or his arm is around me. Oh, do I love the looks on ppl's faces when they turn around. It is a frickin game and so play it. It can be fun.

Family: Only my brother totally ignores me. 2 are df'ed or da and the one JW brother I have loves me and associates with me FULLY. See, that is the point. FULL association, PARTIAL, SOME...a little. What are YOU willing to settle for? My mother would talk to me on the phone, visit me once in a while if I instigated it, but I am not a puppy that needs its tummy scratched every so often. It is all or nothing and that is MY decision. Take who I am now, or don't take me at all because I am done with pretending.

Good luck, go explore, play, learn. Jez

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

If it was me, I think I'd just make plans to go for the minimum amount of session that would allow me to see the family in their stage play, and then make plans to meet the family for lunch or dinner (where I'd be sure to talk about the lovely day shopping or doing interesting things while they were in their extremely long meeting, lol).

It's important to accept your family's overtures towards you, while at the same time keeping them aware that you think their religion is the silliest bunch of crap to ever be foisted on humanity. It's a balancing act really.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Are you going to dress the part? I think it would be cool if you went in jeans.

• DocBob
    DocBob
    The circuit assembly is coming up in September. There are several reasons I am going:
    • It is at the Maine Center for the Arts, at my college. I really like this place, it would be interesting..
    • My mother told me that I would not be shunned ("what would be the point on going?" she said)
    • My mother, brother and brother-in-law all have parts. I have never seen a family member have a part.

~

JWbot, which school and what is the date. Maybe I'll drop by :)

• jwbot
    jwbot

The Maine Center for the Arts is at the University of Maine in Orono. Stop on by! :)

Everyone has great advice. I will try to answer the questions. I will probably dress nice, but not do it up. I will wear flip flops which always made my dad mad.

What I will feel weird about is that singing the songs....oy. And poor Mike. Last assembly I just stood and read the words but did not mouth them.

• jwbot
    jwbot
    It's important to accept your family's overtures towards you, while at the same time keeping them aware that you think their religion is the silliest bunch of crap to ever be foisted on humanity. It's a balancing act really.

You are on to something. I want to respect their beliefs but I want them to know that while I accept them, I am very happy and Mike is happy and we have a great family and that I am a good person they should have respect for.

• Stefanie
    Stefanie

Good for you jwbot!

I can sense that you are secure enough about your beliefs to go and be with family despite what they believe.

Do they still do the contribution boxes? Maybe you can make lots of papers with this sites links on it and drop them in!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit