Question on DF'ing

by Agent Smith 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Yes, they can both look forward to a resurrection.

Next question?

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

Farkel, you know it and I know it. If they displayed that sort of attitude in the elder's room or anywhere else, they'll get disfellowshipped for "showing an attitude that's not christian" (whatever that is).

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

I knew of a situation in my former congo where a bro and sister who were both divorced married each other (the sister claimed that the bro from her first marriage beat her). The story was they were not scripturally free to marry each other and they were both Dfd. After a period of time they were reinstated, but on full restriction (can't answer at meetings or have any parts or positions in the congo) but they can go out in FS, but can't conduct a bible study. If they find someone who wants to study they have to turn it over to another JW. Truly a crazy making relgion.

• minimus
    minimus

"Repentance" has ALWAYS been the key in determining whether Dfing ocurs or not.

• Odrade
    Odrade

Yes, but three men who may or may not be biased determine whether the person is really "repentant." Completely subjective.

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

I know a JW cheated on his wife with the her bible study (they were already divorced). He gets DFed the bible study i believe was still scheduled to get baptized.

From what I am hearing soo many elder here are on their 2nd or 3rd marriage they reprove alot, ignore it, or reinstate quickly if you are not on their sh* list. It really depends on how big a sob story the person has ,if they were legaly divorced first, if they "remained chaste" before their remarriage, how long they were separated, and how marred reputation the ex was.

Actually scratch that they don't care once you get a legal divorce it only depends how popular you are. One new family came to our hall they got on the platform welcomed the family to the hall and reproved the husband all in the same breath. Truely asinine. The system is falling apart or maybe growing a heart.

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

The whole thing is retarded.

My ex-mother in law, a JW, divorced her non-JW husband. Not because he beat her or cheated on her or pressured her to do non-JW approved things, but because she felt that she was "spiritually endangered" by remaining married to him (she basically just hated his guts).

Now I hear that she's getting remarried after some 8 years or so. When he got remarried several years ago she was so happy that she was now "scripturally free." My question was always: how can she be scripturally free after he's shacked up when he's not a JW and she was the one who left him?

• Odrade
    Odrade

Cygnus, she can't. That is the spirit of the law. The leaving partner does the cheating, thus leaving the offended partner free to remarry. If the J-dub just leaves, then waits around until the other one "cheats," well it's a technicality, but not what is meant by the JW rule, or probably the biblical one for that matter.

Blah.

• SAHS
    SAHS

?Balsam?:

. . . she has no use for the witnesses, and had wondered how her ex had pulled off getting married again without being disfellowshipped.

?littletree?:

my grandmother and her new husband ( now of 8 years ) were not disfellowshipped

I wonder if the Society has some sort of ?statute of limitations? to establish a recommended time period after remarriage during which a person could be disfellowshipped who has remarried when they weren?t, or aren?t, scripturally free to do so.

If, say, someone legally divorced their spouse and remarried to a JW even though they were not scripturally free to do so, but the new couple moved to another congregation in another area where their scripturally invalid remarriage wasn?t discovered for, say, ten years, then it wouldn?t make much sense to disfellowship them after they had already been remarried for that long.

Such a ?statute of limitations? probably isn?t in the elder?s manual (I think it?s called Pay Attention to the Flock), but I wonder if there is some sort of ?unwritten rule? about that.

?Cygnus?:

My ex-mother in law, a JW, divorced her non-JW husband. . . . Now I hear that she's getting remarried after some 8 years or so. When he got remarried several years ago she was so happy that she was now "scripturally free." My question was always: how can she be scripturally free after he's shacked up when he's not a JW and she was the one who left him?

I believe that once the other party has remarried to someone else, then the first party is automatically free scripturally, as well as legally, because remarriage automatically ends the first marriage (the other party can?t be married to more than one person at a time). Whether or not the first party was the one that left, or whether the other party was a JW or not, it really doesn?t matter. The deciding factor is that the first marriage has ended. (One would assume that the other party has consummated their new marriage in short order.)

?SAHS

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

Yes!

If you divorce with law only, you are not scripturally free. But as soon as one re-marries that one has committed adultery thus making your divorce scriptural

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit