JWs and 9/11

by kgfreeperson 29 Replies latest jw experiences

• kgfreeperson
    kgfreeperson

I couldn't find anything using search, so maybe somebody just needs to point me in the right direction.

But I don't remember any discussion about what JWs thought was happening when planes started flying into buildings and the hysteria in the nation began to build. I do know about the reaction of the Watchtower, locking their doors against people in need. I can't imagine that believers weren't convinced that this was it--armageddon had arrived. Did they? What was the reaction in Awake, The Watchtower and Kingdom Ministry? How were elders advised to handle questions from their flock?

Thanks.

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

I heard the JWs in NY closed the doors cuz of the dust, smoke, and choas.

And most did not think it was the tribulation. They assumed it was just past of living in "the last days". Some JWs here were on those planes on the return flight to LAX.

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome
    I couldn't find anything using search

can anyone ever find anything on that search engine that's older than 3months?? bloody thing

• kgfreeperson
    kgfreeperson

Wow.

This really is confusing to me. JWs, who are reported here to see small, everyday events, as proof we are in the end times, saw something that looked a lot like a Watchtower illustration on the news and just shrugged? Really?

And you're absolutely right, Tha Don. I do see JWs different from non-JWs in this respect: they say they live in happy anticipation of armageddon!

So when the Watchtower started hinting that the end would come in 1975 all sorts of people made drastic changes in their lives to prepare. But when they turned on their tvs and saw armageddon just as the Watchtower has depicted it for years, they didn't react?

Really.

• minimus
    minimus

Some JWs were on the planes?? Are you sure about this? I've heard they were working at the WTC and got killed....

• blondie
    blondie

For Immediate Release
    September 11, 2001

Reaching out to those hit by tragedy

"I got rocked out of my chair." Timothy Eng was on the 83 rd floor of World Trade Center's Building #1 and felt the first plane hit this morning. "At first I thought it was a really heavy wind, but then I saw one of the traders I work with; he was burned from head to toe. I rushed to put out the flames. People said a plane hit the building. All we saw was debris flying out from above. I helped the trader get down the stairs. As we came down it was dark and there was water and debris everywhere."

Michael Wityk was on the 59 th floor in Building #2, preparing for a 9 a.m. meeting. After a sudden loud noise, he saw that Building #1 was on fire, with paper and glass flying outside. "We were told to evacuate. When we were in the stairwell and got down to about the 20 th floor, an announcement indicated they were about to let us go back up, thinking that only Building #1 was being affected. All of a sudden Building #2 shook. There was some other kind of violent explosion, then everyone started getting panicky. It changed the mood, the terror really rose at that point. My knees literally started to shake."

Both of these men were survivors of today's tragedy, two of the thousands who made their way across the Brooklyn and Manhattan bridges to escape the aftermath of this catastrophe.

Linda works on Wall Street and had to evacuate with throngs of other New Yorkers. "One of the tenants was trampled, but thank God she was all right. Others saw the second plane hitting the tower. Everyone was scared. . . . Hatred can do so much harm. So many innocent lives were lost for no reason. We pray we can assist others who were going through such a hard time."

Arriving in the lobby of the Watchtower buildings across the Brooklyn Bridge, Timothy, Michael and Linda breathed a sigh of relief. They were able to join many others who sought shelter in these buildings. The billowing smoke across the river is a reminder of what they just survived.

A volunteer brings Timothy a cup of water and offers him a chair. "You don't know how happy I feel to have made it to Brooklyn, coming down from 83 floors in the air." When he realized he really was out of danger, he added, "I feel safe."

Food and refreshments are provided to the people who streamed in the building. "They are looking for a haven," Jack, one of the helping hands, remarks. "There was some panic. A lot of people who work here volunteered to help provide whatever was needed."

The Watchtower buildings in Brooklyn were not damaged in today's tragedy, but the people working in them felt it deeply. As spokesman J.R. Brown expressed it, "Today's explosions sent a shock wave through the heart of New York and the rest of the world. Everyone will be touched by this tragedy. Comfort and cooperation are the necessary survival kit right now."

OFFICIAL RELEASE

http://jw-media.org/newsroom/index.htm

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS version in the 1/8/2002 Awake

g02 1/8 pp. 3-7 The Day the Twin Towers Collapsed

Survivors Tell Their StoriesImmediately following the disaster in New York, the subway system closed down, and multitudes of people exited lower Manhattan on foot?many of them crossing the Brooklyn and Manhattan bridges. They could clearly see the office and factory buildings of the world headquarters of Jehovah?s Witnesses. Some refugees from the disaster soon headed toward those buildings.

Alisha (at right), the daughter of a Witness, was among the first to arrive. She was covered with dust and ash. She explained: "While I was on the train heading to work, I could see smoke coming from the World Trade Center. When I arrived at the disaster area, there was glass on the ground everywhere, and I could feel the heat. People were running in every direction, while the police were trying to evacuate the area. It looked like a war zone.

"I ran into a nearby building for shelter. Then I heard the explosion as the second plane hit the south tower. The scene was indescribable, with black smoke everywhere. We were told to move out of the danger zone. I was put on a ferry crossing the East River to Brooklyn. When I got to the other side, I looked up and saw a large sign, ?WATCHTOWER.? The headquarters of my mother?s religion! I immediately made my way to the office building. I knew that I could not be in better hands. I was able to get cleaned up and then call my parents."

Wendell (at right) was a doorman at the Marriott Hotel located between the two towers. He explained: "I was on duty in the lobby when the first explosion occurred. I saw debris falling all around. I looked across the street, and there was a man in flames lying on the ground. I tore off my jacket and shirt and ran over to try to put out the flames. Another passerby joined in to help. All the clothes burned off the man except for his socks and shoes. Then the firemen came and took him to get medical help.

"Shortly after that, Bryant Gumbel of CBS TV news called on the phone to get an eyewitness account of what was happening. My family in the Virgin Islands heard it on their TV and, as a result, knew that I was alive."

Donald, a hefty six-foot-five-inch [195 cm] employee at the World Financial Center, was on the 31st floor of his building, looking straight across at the Twin Towers and the Marriott Hotel. He said: "I was dumbstruck and horrified by what I saw. People were falling and jumping out of the north tower windows. I became hysterical and ran out of my building as fast as I could."

Another experience was that of a mother in her 60?s and her two daughters in their 40?s. Ruth and her sister Joni were staying with their mother, Janice, at a hotel near the Twin Towers. Ruth, a registered nurse, tells the story: "I was in the shower. My mother and sister suddenly shouted for me to get out of the shower. We were on the 16th floor, and they could see debris falling past the window. My mother actually saw a man?s body fly over a nearby roof as if he had been ejected from somewhere.

"I dressed quickly, and we started down the stairs. There was a lot of screaming. We exited onto the street. We heard explosions and saw sparks of fire. We were ordered to rush south to Battery Park, where the Staten Island Ferry is located. On the way, we lost contact with Mother, who has chronic asthma. How would she survive in all this smoke, ash, and dust? We spent half an hour looking for her but without success. However, we were not too worried at first because she is very capable and self-possessed.

"Eventually, we were directed to walk to the Brooklyn Bridge and cross to the other side. Imagine our relief as we got to the Brooklyn side of the bridge and saw the huge sign ?WATCHTOWER?! We knew we were safe.

"We were given a welcome and accommodations. We were also supplied with clothes, since we had nothing. But where was Mother? We spent all night vainly trying to trace her at hospitals. About half past eleven the next morning, we received a message. Mother was downstairs in the lobby! What had happened to her?"

Janice, the mother, continues the account: "When we rushed out of the hotel, I was concerned about an elderly friend, who had been unable to leave with us. I wanted to return and carry her out myself. But it was too dangerous. In the commotion I got separated from my daughters. However, I was not too concerned, as they are levelheaded and Ruth is a qualified nurse.

"Everywhere I looked, people needed help?especially children and babies. I helped as many as I could. I went to the triage area, where the victims were being sorted and treated according to the severity of their injuries. I helped out by washing the hands and faces of the policemen and firemen, who were caked with soot and dust. I stayed until about three in the morning. Then I took the last ferry to Staten Island. I thought that perhaps my daughters had sought refuge over there. But I didn?t find them.

"In the morning I tried to get the first ferry back to Manhattan, but I couldn?t get on because I was not an emergency worker. Then I saw one of the policemen whom I had helped. I called out: ?John! I need to get back to Manhattan.? He replied: ?Just come with me.?

"When I arrived in Manhattan, I headed back to the Marriott Hotel. Perhaps there was still a chance to help my elderly friend. No way! The hotel was in ruins. The downtown area was dead?no life in it anywhere. Only haggard policemen and firemen, with tragedy written all over their faces.

"I wended my way over to the Brooklyn Bridge. As I neared the far end, I could see a familiar sign, ?WATCHTOWER.? Perhaps I would find my daughters there. Sure enough, they came down to the lobby to greet me. What hugs and tears we shared!

"Amazingly, I did not have a single asthma attack, in spite of all the smoke, dust, and ash. I kept praying, for I wanted to be useful, not a burden.""There?s Nowhere to Land!"Rachel, a woman in her early 20?s, told an Awake! writer: "I was walking down my block in lower Manhattan when I heard the noise of a plane overhead. It was so loud that it made me look up. I couldn?t believe it?there was this huge jetliner obviously on a descending path. I wondered why it was flying so low and so fast. There?s nowhere to land! Maybe the pilot had lost control. Then I heard a woman screaming, ?That plane just hit the building!? A huge fireball burst out of the north tower. I saw a giant black hole in the tower.

"It was the most horrible thing I?ve ever seen in my life. It didn?t seem real. I just stood there with my mouth open. Within a short time, the second tower was hit by another plane, and eventually both towers collapsed. I became hysterical. It was more than I could take!""If I Have to Swim, I?ll Swim"Denise, aged 16, had just arrived at her school next to the American Stock Exchange, which is located three blocks south of the World Trade Center. "It was just after 9:00 a.m. I knew that something had happened, but I didn?t know what. I was on the 11th floor of the school, attending history class. All the students looked petrified. The teacher still wanted us to take a test. We wanted to get out and go home.

"Then the building shook as the second plane impacted the south tower. But we still did not know what had happened. Suddenly I heard on the teacher?s walkie-talkie: ?Two planes have hit the Twin Towers!? I thought to myself, ?It is not logical to stay put. This is terrorism, and the Stock Exchange will be next.? So we got out.

"We raced down to Battery Park. I turned around to look at what was happening. I could see that the south tower was going to collapse. Then I thought that there would be a domino effect, with all the high buildings collapsing. I was struggling to breathe, as my nose and throat were clogged with ash and dust. I raced for the East River, thinking, ?If I have to swim, I?ll swim.? As I fled, I prayed to Jehovah to save me.

"Eventually, I was put on a ferry to New Jersey. It took more than five hours for my mother to find me, but at least I was safe!""Is This My Last Day of Life?"Joshua, aged 28, from Princeton, New Jersey, was teaching a class on the 40th floor of the north tower. He recalls: "All of a sudden, it felt like a bomb had exploded. There were tremors, and then I thought, ?No, it was an earthquake.? I looked outside, and it was unbelievable?smoke and debris were swirling around the building. I said to the class, ?Everybody, drop your stuff. Let?s go!?

"We headed down the stairs, which were filling up with smoke, and water was coming out of the sprinklers. But there was no panic. I kept praying that we had chosen the right stairwell so that we wouldn?t come face-to-face with the fire.

"As I was running down the stairs, I thought, ?Is this my last day of life?? I kept praying to Jehovah, and I felt a strange feeling of peace. I have never experienced that kind of inner peace. I will never forget that moment.

"When we finally came out of the building, the police were moving everyone along. I looked up at the towers and saw that both buildings had been sliced open. It was surreal.

"Then I heard an eerie sound?an uncanny silence as if thousands of people were holding their breath. It seemed as if New York stood still. This was followed by screaming. The south tower was collapsing on itself! A tidal wave of smoke, ash, and dust was hurtling toward us. It was like special effects out of a movie. But this was real. As the cloud caught up with us, we could hardly breathe.

"I made it to the Manhattan Bridge, where I turned and saw the north tower with its huge TV antenna go crashing down. As I crossed the bridge, I just kept praying that I would reach Bethel, the world headquarters of Jehovah?s Witnesses. I have never been so happy to see that place in my whole life. And there on the factory wall was the big sign that thousands can see each day, ?Read God?s Word the Holy Bible Daily?! I thought, ?I?m almost there. Just keep going.?

"As I reflect on those events, they have impressed on me that I really need to have my priorities right?that first things in life should be first.""I Saw People Jumping off the Tower"Jessica, aged 22, saw the events when she got out of a downtown subway station. "I looked up and saw ash, debris, and all kinds of pieces of metal coming down. People were waiting to use pay phones and were getting more and more hysterical because of the delays. I prayed for calmness. Then another explosion. Steel and glass were falling out of the sky. I heard shouts, ?It was another plane!?

"I looked up, and it was horrible to see?people jumping from the upper floors where the smoke and flames were billowing out. I can still see it before my eyes?a man together with a woman. They were holding onto a window for a while. Then they had to let go, and they fell and fell and fell. The sight was unbearable.

"Eventually, I got to the Brooklyn Bridge, where I took off my uncomfortable shoes and ran to the Brooklyn side of the river. I walked into the Watchtower office building, where I was immediately helped to calm down.

"That night, at home, I read in Awake! of August 22, 2001, the series ?Coping With Post-traumatic Stress.? How badly I needed that information!"

The enormity of the disaster moved people to help in whatever way they could. The following article explains that part of the story.

g02 1/8 pp. 11-12 Support and Compassion From Many Parts/"Time and Unforeseen Occurrence"

Thousands of people died in the disaster. Among these are at least 14 Witnesses, who happened to be at or near the scene of the tragedy. Joyce Cummings, aged 65 and originally from Trinidad, had a dental appointment near the World Trade Center. Unfortunately, it was about the time of the disaster. She was apparently overcome by smoke and was rushed to a nearby hospital. They were not able to save her. Hers was one of many cases of people suffering the effects of "time and unforeseen occurrence." (Ecclesiastes 9:11) She was known as a very zealous evangelizer.

Calvin Dawson (see box) worked at a brokerage firm on the 84th floor of the south tower. He was in his office and had a clear view of the north tower immediately after it was struck by a plane. His employer, who was away from the office, called in by phone to find out what had happened. He said: "Calvin was trying to tell me what he saw. He said, ?People are jumping!? I told him to get out of there and get the others out of the office." Calvin did not make it out. The employer continued: "Calvin was a wonderful man and appreciated by us all, even by those of us who are not spiritual. We admired his godliness and his humanity."

Another Witness victim was James Amato (lower right on opposite page), father of four children and a captain in the New York fire department. Those who knew him said that he was so courageous that "he would go up into a burning building even though people were running away." James was promoted in absentia to the rank of battalion chief.

Another Witness fire fighter, with seven years of experience, was George DiPasquale. He was married to Melissa and had a two-year-old daughter, Georgia Rose. He was an elder in a Staten Island congregation of Jehovah?s Witnesses and was on the tenth floor of the south tower when it collapsed. He too paid with his life as he tried to save others.

These are just two of the hundreds of fire fighters, policemen, and emergency workers who lost their lives as they valiantly tried to rescue people. The bravery of these rescuers cannot be overemphasized. New York City mayor Rudolph Giuliani later said to a group of promoted firemen: "Your willingness to go forward undaunted in the most difficult of circumstances is an inspiration to all of us. . . . And there is . . . no better example of courage than the Fire Department of the City of New York."

Groups of elders from local Manhattan congregations of Jehovah?s Witnesses were allowed into the Ground Zero area to talk to and comfort the rescue workers there. (THIS WAS DISCOUNTED BY EX-JWS WHERE WERE AT GROUND ZERO OR INVOLVED IN THE SUPPORT EFFORT). The response was very favorable. These ministers commented: "The men had tears in their eyes as we shared scriptures with them." Rescue workers were recovering on a boat at a marina. "The men were looking so lost, with their heads bowed, just not able to cope with what they had seen. We sat down with them and shared texts from the Bible. The men thanked us so much for coming, saying that they really needed this comfort."

• observador
    observador

Hi.

The JW in my area, at least, started using the old line "See? The Bible has been warning about something like this for ages..." at people's door. The situation became such that, as far as I know, the congregations received instructions to not use that line any longer but to focus in a message of "hope". The WT Society is smart enough to realize that the JW attitude of "I told you so" wouldn't be welcome in the US at least.

9/11 was, actually, one of the things that helped me to open my eyes.

Observador.

• kgfreeperson
    kgfreeperson

And that's it? This is fascinating to me. There was no buzz in the congregations? No nothing? I'm getting the feeling that no one else is surprised by this which indicates what I thought I understood, I don't understand, about how JWs keep themselves on edge about the end being near. Soon. Does anyone have anytheories?

• kgfreeperson
    kgfreeperson

I'm sorry. My response must have seemed very rude. For some reason, the responses were not coming up so I was responding to blondie's first posting of the Watchtower response.

Sorry.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit