JWs and 9/11

by kgfreeperson 29 Replies latest jw experiences

• No Apologies
    No Apologies

kg,

If something like 9/11 had happened back in the seventies or even the early eighties, I think the response from JWs would have been much bigger. As it is, most JWs are no longer as concerned about Armageddon being right around the corner. Its impossible to keep a sense of urgency at such a high state as it was back in the 70's, when there is nothing to really fuel it.

The only effect 9/11 had on JWs was a slight bump in activity and meeting attendance over the following months. No doubt a lot of JW-bystanders were motivated to become more active or to finally get baptised because of 9/11.

No Apologies

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

I cant understand why those two articles put up by Blondie would make anyone sick? seems to me that the Witnesses were doing just as much to help theyir fellow Man as anyone else.Why attack them for that.

• blondie
    blondie

Fleaman, those articles make me sick because I know that what the WTS says they do and what they actually do are 2 very different things. They actually locked the doors at Brooklyn Bethel and put up the highest security measures allowing only JWs with Bethel IDs in or something else that proved they were JWs. They were afraid that worldly people would get in and render the WTS facilities unsafe with their wicked ways.

No one was able to verify that any elders were allowed into the WTC area during the peak problem times. Several posters here were part of the firefighter/police brigade that were allowed in and double checked it.

Believe me the WTS would have only have PR reasons to do anything good. All the people they interviewed were JWs, not exactly the way to get an unbiased viewpoint. No much concern on their part for anyone who was not a JW to get their viewpoint.

The words out of most JWs when a disaster occurs, "I wonder if any JWs were affected." Never, "Those poor people I wonder how we can help everyone affected."

It is always JWs first and others a distant last.

Even in the congregation of JWs, only people considered to be up to snuff spiritually according to the elders get any help at all.

Been there.

Blondie

• blondie
    blondie

Notice how the WTS focuses on the handful of JWs that died ignoring the thousands of nonJWs that died and their families.

• kgfreeperson
    kgfreeperson

Again, I am just struck by how much the actual event resembled the illustrations in various Watchtower publications and yet no one appears to have been even momentarily convinced that they'd been right after all!

• blondie
    blondie

Key Notes from Ciro Aulicino's talk, "What Does the Future Hold for Us?" (Ciro is the one that signed to application for NGO status for the WTS at the UN)

Here is a talk he gave shorty after 9/11.

http://www.randytv.com/cironotes.htm

http://www.randytv.com/whatfuturetxt.htm

http://www.geocities.com/osarsif/un.htm

Where are we in the stream of time? We are very deep deep in the time of the end. Sept 11 of 2001 could be the start of a turning point. The paradise . . . . because we don't know. Who knows? This may be the last time we will have to get together. Little did I know when I said that in early part of June what was going to happen on September 11. It's just human nature. You go into denial to see thousands of people killed within a second.
    But now we're in a position here where even the country is going through these five steps. And we had meeting at Bethel and they were telling us, that this is an opportunity where people are still mourning
    and so we have an opportunity to comfort. We want to go out and comfort the people. And in our case in New York we are not going out with book bags so much. Just with a Bible and some brochures. Sometimes in some places they see the book bag they don't want to hear it

We're glad to see that so many have suddenly started coming to the meetings again. You know our attendance is up. Well that's too bad, that people have to have a tragedy to move them. They should be coming to meetings anyway. But we're glad to have them back. And we find that some disfellowshipped persons are now wanting to make their way back. Fine. We hope they can get back in time to get strong because it's going to take a lot of strength. And those of you who have been coming to the meetings and who have been attending, you are having the strength. You're going to be thankful that you've been there to the meetings.

And we're going to have to stick very close to the organization. Now God's organization is going to send instructions through the pages of the Kingdom Ministry and the Watchtower and the Awake!
    Heed it. Follow it. Whatever counsel we get. We may get letters to help us. Then do what it says, friends, follow along. Obey the organization. And Jehovah is running this organization. And, uh, if some fall by the wayside. We can try to help them. But we're not going to stop walking to the new world. Say, "We can only help you, but you've got to get up." And you can maybe help them.
    But if they don't want to be helped, friends, what can we do?

And some may drop away. Some may not want to do this. Some may even turn traitor. Remember what Paul said, "There were false brothers." So we have to be ready for this. Remember one thing - it's your devotion your personal relationship and your dedication to Jehovah. That is the most important thing. No matter what people do. No matter who they are. If they turn against God's organization, do not penalize Jehovah for their badness.

Stay with Jehovah. He is innocent of all badness. So whatever charges they're going to make, people, don't don't worry about that. Apostates are working very hard to make problems. Give them no heed.

So we're not going to read that garbage. We're not going to listen to them. Because they're only going to do one thing - tear you down. Whereas God's people have only one aim - comfort and build up. That should tell you alone who has the right aim, right?

• Odrade
    Odrade

My mom's office windows in one of the factory buildings faces Manhattan, and she saw the whole thing from the time of the first plane flying in over the river right in front of their office. It was as horrifying to them as to anyone else. She said all they could do was watch, and it was terrible. Yes, they thought it might be the beginning of the end. Didn't a lot of us?

I remember the first thing I did as the buildings started collapsing, I went and got my service clothes on and got out my service bag, and went down to meet for meeting for field service. We went out door to door that morning, and every last person we talked to, listened to us read them scriptures. I've never experienced anything like it in nearly 30 years of preaching. Everyone, not just JWs were so in a state of shock, that all reactions were different. I can't imagine that anyone was dismissive of the tragedy.

I know there were some JWs who were callous and insensitive to the loss of "worldlings," but it was a real kick in the butt for many who were wavering. There were several who "reactivated" in my congregation after 9/11, and at least 3 who studied to baptism, mainly because of that. I suspect statistics for the US in the few month following would have shown a surge of activity. What a shame it was only within the group and didn't really extend to community.

O

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

Blondie. Whilst i speak from relative ignorance regarding 9/11 and any involvement of Jw,s i seem to remember some of the Fire fighters themselves were Witnesses and some even died?

The Brooklyn Bethel Tour (i went last Year)did seem to focus primarily on the role of Elders /pioneers etc who were affected or involved somehow,i agree.But it seems that almost everyone on the Tour was interested in the disaster and what happened that Day...many first hand accounts were mentioned in some detail re.witnesses and the relief effort that took place almost immediately,surely if that was all Lies,somebody somewhere would raise questions and a scandal would (quite rightly)ensue?I simply cant accept they would Lie about the efforts they were involved in.

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

I've read both here, and neither side has really cleared up the questions. Did the JW's open their lobby to those that weren't JWs directly after the attacks or not? The JW's of course, say they did, but other people say that the higher-ups ordered the buildings closed down and that everyone should get back to work. What *is* the truth?

Country Girl

• Odrade
    Odrade

They had the buildings in lockdown and higher security measures were taken. They allowed fire and police officials into the lobby area at 90 Sands for water and rest, but NO ONE of the general public.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit