Encouraging thoughts of former J.W. Elder

by lawrence 12 Replies latest jw experiences

• lawrence
    lawrence

These thoughts were emailed to me by an old friend, who was a J.W. Elder, and left the WTS. Hope others might find something of value: "In my case the transition period was very painful but it did not knock me off balance. Having Jill as a companion was certainly part of the reason. But also I was, even during the worst of times, able to see some good in the decisions I had made. I once explained it this way: The stormy termoil of the sixties had left me like a ship with its rigging torn asunder. In my association with the Jehovah's Wintnesses I found a safe harbor and a strong support system that allowed me to repair that rigging. But once the rigging was repaired the natural course was to go back out to sea and the JWs insisted I stay harbor-bound. Faced with this choice I did what my very nature compelled and left. Of course that illustration, like all illustrations, is not the complete picture. Hurtful things were done to me; some by well-meaning but ignorant people, others by individuals who it seemed to me were simply wicked. The months and years that followed were not without difficulty. Aside from my family I was friendless. And my soul was now at sea, but with an uncharted course. I made a specific effort to avoid being overly bitter and instead tried to use the time to peel back the layers of the onion one by one to answer my most pertinant questions: Who and what was I really? What psychological weakness(es) moved me to make the choices I had made? What were their causes? Some time, too, was spent on 'theological' questions, but not all that much. In the end I am what I am today. My 'rigging' is for the most part sound and I remain comfortable being at sea. My 'safe harbor' is having, in the poet Schiller's words, "one soul to call my own." My friends are not legion, but they are genuine. I love life and am thankful to the Kind Providence that has given it to me. Wishing you and all 'sea faring men' the kindest wishes! :)"

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

WOW !!!

HE SAID IT ALL IN POETIC LANGUAGE AND TOUCHED ON ALL THE POINTS AND FEELINGS.

WISH I COULD DO THAT SORT OF THING.

Outoftheorg

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Sorry to be blunt, but this is a place for discussion - in the depth of this reflection there's no mention of those harmed by his support of and work done for the org - being that it was 'the sixties fault' in the first place, I percieve the achieved suppression of an attrite bitterness - with no contrite expression discernable - did he simply forget the other lands that he sailed to, from where they took slaves back to their harbour ?

• Mystery
    Mystery

Don't blame it all on the elders - "we" did our fair share of "harm by our support of and work done for the org.".

Did you go in service? Did you preach "Jehovah's word"?

You are demeaning a person that had the courage to get out. Are you sure your not still a JW?

• lawrence
    lawrence

I was not going to interject on this thread, but loved A. Paduan's use of the king's language, though don't understand what he's saying - who is taking slaves, when one has left the game? You state with excellence,

"... I percieve the achieved suppression of an attrite bitterness."

attrit, attrite (vv.)

Attrit, pronounced uh-TRIT, is apparently a slang back-formation from attrition. It is military and journalese jargon, meaning ?to win by attrition,? ?to defeat by reducing the enemy?s numbers and means.? Attrite, on the other hand, is pronounced uh-TREIT and is a relatively infrequent but old (seventeenth-century) verb. It occurs most frequently in its participial adjective form, pronounced uh-TREIT-id, and it means ?worn or rubbed or reduced by friction?: Constant deskwork had attrited the elbows of his jackets.
  • little witch
    little witch

Lawrence,

Your friend put it most eloquently. It speaks in pictures how juvenile the technique used by the society to "get members in", and why rejection and irrelevance get us out... Very nice.

Apad,

Oddly it is you that sounds bitter and stuck in the harbor. I wish you well.

• Maverick
    Maverick

The JW's suck the love of life and adventure right out of a person! May the winds of life be at your back on a calm sea with many safe harbors...and cold beer, lots of cold beer! Mav

• Golf
    Golf

Lawrence, how about 'bittersweet?' Enjoyed the post, it was encouraging.

Guest 77

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

Lawrence, I related to this writing a lot. I too was a damaged vessel when I pulled into what I thought was the safe harbor of the WT Org. My ship sat there for several years, while I tried to make repairs with what the WT provided me with. In the end they didn't have the right tools for the job and I knew I had to leave. The channel to the harbor had narrowed and it was a harrowing ride to get out to sea again. Even though my vessel is still in need of repair I am working hard to keep it up and running. But it does feel good to be sailing free again.

Aloha,

cybs

• A Paduan
    A Paduan
    Oddly it is you that sounds bitter and stuck in the harbor.

Bitter - had been - turning now though - no intention of suppressing it though.

Stuck, kna - bit slow at the start - even set on by jws flying a different flag - didn't know it was the enemy 'til they started attacking - suspected it but.

The expression above about "said it all" grated as I read it - "said about as much as a dub would" is how I read it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit